Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

last week of 2021- lots of fishing and good weather! pic intensive!

The week before xmas and the week between xmas and new years provided some great opportunities to get offshore and bend some rods.  Many of my customers still wanted some meat for fish frys, so we spent time focusing on snappers since our red grouper were closed until january 1st.

The vermillion were out in force.  Lots of quality sized fished. Some absolutely stud mangroves were caught as well.  We released a ton of short scamps and gags and of coarse a slew of nice red grouper that will soon be invited home for dinner. 

Amberjacks and Goliaths also made a strong showing with fish up to 300 lbs caught. 

Our sole 1/2 day trip produced some beautiful Jumbo Lanes as well as a bunch of nice porgies, key west grunts and would have had 3 keeper red grouper.  

Now that the winds are due to lay down tomorrow, I will be back at it for a few days. 

Remember, ya cant catch fish sitting on the couch, so get out and fish!

www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral

Replies

• DodgerDodger Ft MyersPosts: 291 Deckhand
    Capt Dan,
    How deep do you start to get into vermillions?  Also, were most of your snapper catches on the bottom or in a chum slick freelining?
    Thanks!
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 1,064 Officer
    Off of Venice and Englewood, I usually start getting into the beeliners in 80 ft or more. There's swarms of them over any of the major wrecks. If you're looking for a fish fry, try dropping a heavy-duty sabiki with 1-inch pieces of squid and wait for the doubles or triples to start coming in. Not usually many huge ones that way, but fills the cooler fast. Just don't wait around too long for another fish to bite once you've got one on, swarms of goliaths and AJs on those wrecks too.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • DodgerDodger Ft MyersPosts: 291 Deckhand
    How many miles in Venice is 80 feet?  In FM I think that's about 30 miles.  I think it gets deeper a little faster up that way right?  I don't venture out that far usually but starting to think I need to.
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 1,064 Officer
    80 ft is around 22-24 miles out of Venice I believe. The big wrecks I usually go to for vermillions specifically are out in 100-110 ft, around 30-32 miles.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,874 Moderator
    Another great report. Thanks for sharing the details of what has been working for you. It is what the FS forums are all about. 
    larrywitt