Skip to main content
Home Boating

Epoxy vs polyester

CL604CL604 Posts: 69 Deckhand
Over the years I have collected a few gouges in the bottom of my boat. I intend to do the necessary repairs this winter
before applying epoxy barrier & bottom paint. Whats your thoughts on using something like west marine epoxy instead
of poly resin for the repairs.Will the epoxy stick as well as poly.

Thanks BILL

Replies

• ChummerChummer TampaPosts: 93 Deckhand
    I'm not sure what the proper answer is, but I use Marine-tex which I think is an epoxy. I have gelcoat over glass, which chips up from hitting UFO's from time to time (Unidentified Floating Objects). The Marine Tex says it hardens like steel and sands like wood. Don't believe it. It hardens like steel and sands like steel. In any event, I try to do a good job spreading and blending, and every repair I've done to date has been 100% solid - no flaking, chipping or delaminating.
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,395 Officer
    The epoxy adheres 100 times better than polyester. If you want to do it only once use epoxy.
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 6,022 Admiral
    I have built a boat from scratch and used epoxy for that, I have repaired other boats including cracked hulls and replacing decking and used polyester for that. Both have worked perfectly fine for me. I would recommend that if you are repairing gouges if you can get as much glass and as little resin as possible into the gouge and clamp it or weight it to squeeze out excess resin and compress the glass it is better. Depending on how big of a gouge we are talking about Marine-tex works great too.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    If it's gouges in gelcoat use gelcoat to patch. You can use marinetex but it's hard. If it's into the glass and you epoxy it you can't put gel over it.
    Sent from my Venue Pro using Board Express just for td.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • BeeferBeefer Posts: 101 Officer
    MarineTex can also be tinted to match if it's a small area. From their website:
    Can I pigment Marine-Tex?
    Only the White Marine-Tex can be pigmented. No pure color will be achieved by adding pigments. (We recommend epoxy-friendly pigments, like Fibre-Glass Evercoat's.) Do not use more than 5% pigment per total volume of epoxy.

And I agree with Chummer - it sands like steel. :wink
  • BeeferBeefer Posts: 101 Officer
  • HookerUPHookerUP Posts: 61 Deckhand
    Just remember ...poly does not stick to epoxy. And epoxy sticks to everything..it is essentially a glue. Epoxy is more water resistant that poly...but will break down faster if exposed to UV rays.
    I would personal fix the anything with epoxy ..as long as epoxy top coat will be applied. If you intend on gel coating....go with the poly. hope that helps