Skip to main content
Home Boating

Replace rod tubes inside rod locker

rasteverasteve Clearwater FlPosts: 8 Deckhand
edited June 3 in Boating #1
I have a 2020 189 and when I purchased (used) the rod tubes were (are) in nasty shape. 

Anyone ever replace them?  If so where did you get the new tubes?  How did you get the old tubes out??

thanks in advance!

Replies

• rasteverasteve Clearwater FlPosts: 8 Deckhand
    Yikes!!  Boat is a 2010 not 2020!
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Senior Member Posts: 4,773 Captain
    Won’t comment about removing or replacing rod tubes…. But if they’re PVC, you’ll be surprised at how well you can clean them using acetone and just a rag.  You might want to give it a try.

If it works, follow it up with a mild soft auto cleaner wax to preserve it.  By the way, if the stain is mildew, ordinary  X-14 will clear it up dramatically.  X-14 is a available in any grocery store - been using it for years…
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    Hi. Actually not stained but in horrible shape. I’ll get a picture of them but basically the black tubes have all peeled back. I honestly have no idea how it might have happened but I guess the tubes were never flush to the glass they run through (?). I’d I can’t remove and replace I may have to try cutting and making them flush to the glass
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Senior Member Posts: 1,394 Officer
    They are incased in foam and glassed in. I doubt you'll be able to remove!
    Thanks for responding. Here is what they look like

you can see the top one has peeled back somehow and the others sick out -  I am not sure what they used to look like but I suppose I can trim them up and sand flush but fear they would eventually wear through

anyone have creative idea o. How to clean them up?