Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

wreck fishing and new "blog" on my website

With Red Grouper and Lanes closed down wreck fishing has been my go to keep rods bent and smiles on everyones face.  The wrecks provide a great habitat that attracts bait, which in turn attracts predators. 

With the amount of bait we have had inshore, I have been spending between a 1/2 hr and hour each morning loading up my wells before heading offshore.  Choice size pinfish and white bait make for some non stop action. 

This weekend was no different with 3 throws of the cast net providing over 150 pinfish and an equal amount of good size pilchards. 

We anchored up on the wreck, deployed a chum bag, only to find the chum running opposite of the wind right up the anchor line. we made do, and deployed knocker rigs down slowly as close to the wreck as we could. 
The action was non stop.  We had a bunch of mangroves and yellowtail that got hit by the taxman.  We put the heat on a couple solid amberjacks that hit the deck. we had one that was bleeding pretty bad so he joined our crew for the smoker. 

The almaco jacks were pretty fired up, and I feel they are often overlooked for their tablefare.  My crew already reported back they absolutely loved it. 

We had a few nosey barracudas, and after a few attempts we finally got a pretty good one to eat and not chew thru the metal leader. 

We had a couple Goliaths hit but got the better of us and made it back to their safe haven ( the wreck.)

All in all a great day on the water, and one these guys will not soon forget... 

Also, I am trying to share more information and info weekly/biweekly thru my webpage/blog.  Feel free to check out this weeks new topic https://www.saltyfishingcharters.com/fishing-report-blog/catch-and-release-with-a-hint-of-fillets

Its NOT a copy and paste of the trip report.... Appreciate any feedback good or bad from my florida sportsman family. 

Tight Lines!

Capt Dan

www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral

Replies

• DodgerDodger Ft MyersPosts: 234 Deckhand
    great report as always!  How far out for this kind of action?  Thanks!
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 987 Officer
    edited October 31 #3
    Great report and blog post. I always love wreck fishing, with enough chum and bait you can almost always have a day full of action even if it means losing a lot of tackle.

Dodger, can't speak for where he's at but there's AJs and barracuda (as well as tons of goliaths and snapper) on wrecks from 70-110 ft near me in Venice. 
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • sixstring09sixstring09 Posts: 70 Deckhand
    Your reports are Awesome !!!
  • Capt Dan MedinaCapt Dan Medina Posts: 810 Officer
    edited November 4 #5
    Dodger said:
    great report as always!  How far out for this kind of action?  Thanks!
    We were out in 120ish feet... roughly 45 miles. 

bigfinn35 said:
    Great report and blog post. I always love wreck fishing, with enough chum and bait you can almost always have a day full of action even if it means losing a lot of tackle.

Dodger, can't speak for where he's at but there's AJs and barracuda (as well as tons of goliaths and snapper) on wrecks from 70-110 ft near me in Venice. 
    I love wreck fishing, but you are spot on about lost tackle as well.  We had a bunch of break offs and a trip to my local tackle shop is/was in order...  A little trick I've learned to keep the tackle loss to a minimum... I use smaller (1-2 ounce sinkers) to let the baits go down at a slower pace... when you loose them, it doesnt sting as hard as the 8 ouncers... 

Your reports are Awesome !!!
    Thanks! I appreciate the kind words!
    www.SaltyFishingCharters.com 33 Ft World Cat Tournament Edition Catamaran
    Offshore Fishing Charters FT Myers, Sanibel, Captiva, Cape Coral