Skip to main content
Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Monster Stone Crabs Breaking Out - Any other experiences please reply

Hi folks.... I'm in the greater Miami area and purchased 10 stone crab traps in October 2020 . At the end of last season (May 1 2021), one of them had a broken plastic slat..  I thought nothing of it and laid a strip of wood across to fix it.  This October, I set the 10 traps and collected the first harvest of 2021.  Four of my ten traps were compromised and I thought vandalized.  On closer inspection, they were scissored out by what must have been very large and very desperate colossals.  Their work was extraordinary as you could SEE where their pincer claw (the sharp one) grabbed and tore neatly through the plastic strip. I checked again this week for more crabs and two more had slats broken or completely removed (they did not bother with the chew-out piece).  Look carefully at this photo at the broken slat piece halfway down this picture on the right hand side.  See where the slat looks like a saw and  you'll recognize where the scissor claw made perfect 1 milimeter semi-circular cuts  in the plastic JUST LIKE a rudimentary can opener.
The final clue that they were breaking out was that in one of the traps that was NOT broken had 8 stone crabs in it - - two were collossal and 1/2 inch off the world record claw size. All traps were from the same manufacturer on the same date. I can imagine the savagery and pure force inside a plastic trap like that.  

Replies

• JMcA305JMcA305 Posts: 42 Deckhand
    Same here with some of mine. Cat food cans were crushed, zip tie still on the lid. 
    I bring strips of star board to repair.

• JailBroken_TrapsJailBroken_Traps MiamiPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    Thanks JM.  This is now officially NOT a one-off event.   I wonder if there's been
    1.  a quantum leap in brain power of these stone crabs to have figured out the "rubik's cube of escaping" 
    2. they are marginally stronger and now able to break out
    3.  my latest traps made of inferior plastic as compared to years past
    Wishing you lots of crab claws for Christmas
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,964 AG
    Thanks JM.  This is now officially NOT a one-off event.   I wonder if there's been
    1.  a quantum leap in brain power of these stone crabs to have figured out the "rubik's cube of escaping" 
    2. they are marginally stronger and now able to break out
    3.  my latest traps made of inferior plastic as compared to years past
    Wishing you lots of crab claws for Christmas
    I run 4000 traps, over the years I have have various runs of bad traps, our fishouse bought 2500 five board heavy duty trap kits out of Miami several years back, prolly 75% cracked or broke on the same slat upon assembly.

Had the seller and manufactuer up to investigate, apperantly they had a raw material problem and replaced our traps and paid for assembly.

it happens
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.