Skip to main content
Home Conservation Forums

Mutilated Fish

Sea GUYSea GUY Junior MemberPosts: 17 Greenhorn
Hope i spelled this correct.Ok I got a small fish box on my 17 boat If I say cut a fish
almost into to fold it in the fish box am I really going to get a ticket?Some of the cobia-kings just
want fit in there w/o hanging out.

Replies

• cprcpr Senior Member dwcPosts: 9,299 Admiral
    Might try gutting them and kinda folding them first.
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • Sea GUYSea GUY Junior Member Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    Yea like a shark.Ha!
    There have been many times I came in w/ mostly kings hanging out the cooler
    and I know that part is hot so I just cut it off and chunk it.I alway assume that
    any LEO would probaly understand but Id like to hear there take.
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Senior Member Riviera BeachPosts: 1,352 Officer
    This has been discussed on here before. The post have been lost. Some have done it and got away with it. You wont get one to say you can do it cause some will site you for it and some will let it slide, they will only point you to the law, fish must be in whole condition, head and tail intact. The best solution is to get a bigger cooler or a fish bag.
  • surfmansurfman Senior Member WC FLPosts: 6,017 Admiral
    Roc N Rol wrote: »
    a fish bag.

They are pricy but this is the best solution on a small boat, you can store it out of the way till you need it.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Senior Member Riviera BeachPosts: 1,352 Officer
    I just looked them up. Bass Pro has the insulated fish bg 24"X 70" for $120.00, which is cheaper than the ticket would be.

Edit, I'm adding it to my Christmas list
  • Reel UmReel Um Senior Member Ocala, FLPosts: 260 Officer
    If your fish is over the legal limit easily I would cut the part hanging out and leave it in the box with the fish. This means the remaining big part is way over the legal length.

Whole fish in my opinion is them not wanting you to filet it and put in the cooler and say it "was way legal before you filet it."
  • Go MongoGo Mongo Senior Member Palm CityPosts: 2,074 Captain
    You are catching big fish, so just get the fish bag. Cheap fix (as far as offshore fishing goes) and no problems.
    “Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea
  • IntheslotIntheslot Senior Member Posts: 342 Deckhand
    I've just cut in half but not all the way through, leaveing the skin on one side and folding it. It's then very obvioius that it's the whole fish. Would have some real choice words for anyone challenging me on it out there.