Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Today's excursion 10/14/21

I went out early again today and it was choppy again, but settled down starting around 10:00. Went to an area N of the scallop rack where I caught over 20 small trout on Monday...only got 1 today and lost several soft plastics to the little munchers (suspect puffers, Perch, and small BSB). I got a couple very hard hits which bent the rod and resulted in immediate cut-offs (Sp. Macks?)  I moved in to the sand/gravel flats just south of CR 1&2 and picked up a nice Mangrove Snapper. The little munchers ate some more of my soft plastics so I decided to move a few miles North.

I witnessed some feeding activity on the way and decided to drag some lures for Mackerel.  I don't usually mix spoons with body baits but that's just what I did today.  I got an almost immediate hit on a Clarkspoon with no hook-up, then got clobbered on a bodybait, blue over white in 8' of water. 20 minutes later I slipped the net around a huge Spanish Mack.  27" and around 10 lbs. My PB and one I'll remember for a long time. He has a date with the smoker, and the mangrove snapper will make a fine sandwich for my darling wife.

The weeds have cleared up considerably off Crystal River, water still 81 degrees, but baitfish appear to be returning and are being chased by predator fish (jumping all over).

Back out tomorrow, but not as early as usual.

Replies