Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Islamorada Guide - November

Hi - I am looking for recommendations on what to fish for and guides for a trip I am taking to the florida keys. I have one day available to fish away from the wife and was planning on fishing. Should I go offshore or backwaters? I was thinking flats/backwaters trip, but dont know what is best for November. I am looking for a trip on November 15th. Any advice on what to target and guides I should reach out to are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• tdericksontderickson Augusta, ME Posts: 79 Deckhand
    Start by saying not sure what your wife is doing that day or her lies and dislikes.  Personally I would make a day of it and travel to Big Pine.  See if you can schedule Captain Harlan with American Allegiance, have the wife go to Bahia Honda Park for the day, and eat dinner at the Square Grouper, an incredible restaurant. My first trip with Harlan is in March, but he comes with HIGH reviews.  That said, I drive all the way from Maine, and enjoy different places on vacation.  I'm sure there will be several suggestions for people in the upper keys, though.
  • dvnelson72dvnelson72 Posts: 30 Deckhand
    offshore or backcountry is really about what you enjoy.  I grew up fishing blue water, so I will choose offshore every time.  That said, weather is the biggest factor when you have a one day window.  You could have 8 foot seas or 0 foot seas.  Backcountry is far more predictable in terms of how weather affects your experience
  • WhitetailedWhitetailed Central FloridaPosts: 33 Deckhand
    If you are going to fish in Islamorada, I would highly recommend talking with Capt. John Gargan out of Whale Harbor. He runs the back country skiff, Couple a Bucks. I've fished with  him for 35 years. He runs a first class operation, and will put you on the fish. CoupleaBucks.com. Ask him about fishing the back country of the Everglades. It will be a memorable day for sure.
  • bballbk33bballbk33 texasPosts: 2 Greenhorn
    Thanks! My wife seems to get seasick so she no longer joins me on trips. she would rather enjoy the spa. She will also be 7 months pregnant so she def will not be joining. I was planning on doing either a half day or 3/4 day so not sure its worth the extra $$ for blue water fishing. I have never caught a bonefish, but have also never caught a marlin or sailfish. I have been several times for marlin/sailfish and never landed one. obviously completely different trips and would want to take a trip for what is in season. Based on a November trip, which one would be the best type of fish to target?
  • ric1ric1 Posts: 225 Deckhand
    Anyone guide offshore on my boat?
    Instead of giving your children everything you didn't have, teach them everything you didn't know. I promise their future will turn out better! :wink
  • DodgerDodger Ft MyersPosts: 230 Deckhand
    ric1 said:
    Piner wahoo does that!
    Dodger said:
    ric1 said:
    Piner wahoo does that!
    Not in islamorada unfortunately 😕 
    Instead of giving your children everything you didn't have, teach them everything you didn't know. I promise their future will turn out better! :wink
  • longfin61longfin61 Posts: 64 Deckhand
    Call this sites own Capt Jaun Garcia at Beatslandcharters Islamorada you will not be disappointed 
    Thanks, will track him down...