Home General Hunting

Head Shot...

DRT..
A Friend of mine took this 5 point Buck last weekend on our Hunt Club.
Never seen a shot like this but I have to admit it sure was easy finding the Buck...winning

Killin and Grillin :grin

Replies

• altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 726 Officer
    That is what we call a high neck shot
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 1,446 Officer
    To each their own. Until your sitting in stand and watch one walk by that got stuck that same way and didn't do the trick. I've seen it more than once. Dead deer though thats for sure. My brother in law stuck one this morning same way but ut was looking straight at him. Hes also wounded atleast 1 a year that way for lord knows how long. I'm not preaching cause I know for every respectful person there's a dozen that aren't so its a lost cause. That _hit doesn't impress me one bit.  
  • louislouis Posts: 74 Deckhand
    Would NEVER attempt that shot with any kind of bow.  Have doen it several ti es with high power rifle.  Result zero steps.  Very picky of when i do it though.  To each their own its your conscience.
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 3,198 Captain
    Had a friend kill a buck in Citrus many years ago with a head shot. The deer turned to lick his side and caught an arrow in the brain pan. It was an accidental head shot. Only one I have personal knowledge of. I think it’s problematic to attempt that shot. A near fatal hit can become a Facebook photo, that hurts archery hunting. 
  • FloridahuntFloridahunt Palm BeachPosts: 212 Deckhand
    Buzzard stand, that’s hilarious 
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 758 Officer
    I've done it twice in my 45+ years of hunting. It was accidental both times. The deer ducked and turned at release and was hit just like the OP. I recovered both deer. IMO, If a deer is close enough to shoot at the head there are other options.
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 557 Officer
    Looks like a dead deer to me.  Cool shot.

Archery is an iffy sport anyway -  A deer has the ability to totally move outta the way at 20 yards, before the arrow gets there - sometimes they do, often they only get about 1/2 way outta the way and it is suddenly a bad hit.  Happens more often than folks will admit.
  • TerribleTedTerribleTed Posts: 326 Deckhand
    Any shot can be good or bad so take the shot you can make. I pulled broad heads on inside of shoulders to arrow shaft across the rib cages. None them were mine. 
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 1,027 Officer
    I have a friend in VA. That shot a lifetime buck that had a broadhead healed into the front of the skull.  He has the broadhead mounted on a plaque with the deers head. They can survive alot of abuse. If you hunt any length of time you are going to see deer with odd wounds.
  • awayaway Posts: 467 Deckhand
    Missed said:

Archery is an iffy sport anyway -  A deer has the ability to totally move outta the way at 20 yards, before the arrow gets there - sometimes they do, often they only get about 1/2 way outta the way and it is suddenly a bad hit.  Happens more often than folks will admit.
    Not at 20 yards. 
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,283 Captain
    So far, all deer I have “ Taken”/ “ Harvested” / Kilt have been via center fire cartridge...... head shot. 
    Yes, mindful of the minutiae.” Wounding” potential. 
    First deer I took was a shot that was as if I was laying on the ground and shooting in to the sky......... bullet entered between lower jaw bones and exited over head from bottom of brain to top of skull.... 
    Deer was angling away...... perfect 45 degree angle...... head down...... browsing in standing water..... solid stand, rest..... A shot Between Front Legs........
    I let a lot of em’ walk prior to that and so many many more since. 
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 4,588 Captain
    I did it once in the twilight and not sure exactly how it happened, if it was a bad shot for my part or him moving his head behind him. 
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 4,588 Captain
    Missed said:

I totally agree with this. Whether it be human or deer error, I think deer get wounded and lost a lot more in archery season than we hunters like to admit. So much can go wrong on even an otherwise well places shot. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve put good shots on deer and barely recovered them because there wasn’t a drop of blood and I only found them because I heard them crash (but they hid themselves in thick palmettos and were pretty much invisible). And they often survive wounds  that are not to the vitals. I have a habit of shooting them too far forward with a bow because that’s where I shoot one with a firearm or airgun to break their shoulders. Although there isn’t actually lung or heart where I’m shooting. 
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 758 Officer
    Missed said:

I totally agree with this. Whether it be human or deer error, I think deer get wounded and lost a lot more in archery season than we hunters like to admit. So much can go wrong on even an otherwise well places shot. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve put good shots on deer and barely recovered them because there wasn’t a drop of blood and I only found them because I heard them crash (but they hid themselves in thick palmettos and were pretty much invisible). And they often survive wounds  that are not to the vitals. I have a habit of shooting them too far forward with a bow because that’s where I shoot one with a firearm or airgun to break their shoulders. Although there isn’t actually lung or heart where I’m shooting. 
    Funny BF, I do just the opposite. I've been archery hunting so long that I tend to rifle shoot them in the crease. In my case though, I get lungs.
    love the head shot, no meat lost. Yep bucks and does pigs too depends on the situation definitely on rainy days.
  • MaineRidaMaineRida Posts: 253 Deckhand
    Well, I've never thought about taking a head shot while a deer was in my sights.  I don't believe I would do it with a compound or recurve bow regardless, personally it's not a high percentage shot and I have too much respect for the animal. 
    Now a rifle or crossbow with perfect circumstances, maybe (more so with a rifle).
    I have found that blood trails in swamps are difficult and added to it is when there is a shot with minimal bleeding. The only shots I have taken have been behind the shoulder aside from one time that I  did a neck shot on a nice eight point but that was due to being all that was presented. The deer was standing still looking at me and it could turn back or away and be gone for good.  This was with a 7mm mag and a rest,drt.

• Big MakBig Mak Posts: 4,593 Captain
    edited November 10 #19
    So, I don't advocate head shots but I had no complaints about a tracking job when my 12 year old dropped this one  a couple weeks agoin the middle of his scrape with a shot to the eye at 62 yds.

Since we were hunting some deep tangles near a swamp I told him to make sure he puts anything down quick. He managed to drop this guy like a bag of hammers and quickly tell me, "was that good enough? You won't have to look hard for that one." What else could I say, other than nice shot? It certainly works good when executed properly.

• bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,873 Captain
    Congrats to little Mac! Nice buck and heck of a shot!…. Very little room for error with that shot, everything has to be perfect.👌
  • MaineRidaMaineRida Posts: 253 Deckhand
    Congrats, nice deer
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 1,222 Officer
    I’m a terrible deer hunter. Don’t do enough scouting or I can’t sit still in a stand long enough. 3rd season of archery hunting I boiler room a small doe, smoked her so hard she made a noise I never heard before. Only way to describe it was a growl and a bark at the same time. The guy that let me hunt the property said he wanted to train his dog to trail blood so if I shot anything give him a call. After my shakes subsided I gave him a ring and he brought his dog out. I stayed in the stand like he instructed. He arrives with the dog and I recreated the shot. He found the arrow and I got down out of the climber. Arrow had red blood from tip to tail. Figured this should be easy. I pointed in the direction the deer had ran and he put the dog on it. Found spots of blood at first, then the dog found a spot were the doe most of laid down, big pool of blood and I’m feeling stoked , this was 3 years in the making. That dog ran us around the woods for the next 3 hours. Never found the deer. I was crushed. Didn’t bow hunt the rest of the season. It gave me a sick feeling knowing that deer most likely died for nothing. The next season I told myself that’s not gonna happen again. 
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,652 Captain
    Big Mak said:
    So, I don't advocate head shots but I had no complaints about a tracking job when my 12 year old dropped this one  a couple weeks agoin the middle of his scrape with a shot to the eye at 62 yds.

Since we were hunting some deep tangles near a swamp I told him to make sure he puts anything down quick. He managed to drop this guy like a bag of hammers and quickly tell me, "was that good enough? You won't have to look hard for that one." What else could I say, other than nice shot? It certainly works good when executed properly.

Wtg, Lil’ Mak! 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 2,463 Captain
    Sometimes it doesn't go as planned.

I was cruising a back road one day years ago, when I saw this one calmly chewing her cud.  She stayed put for a couple of pictures, then got up and moved into some brush.  As she entered the brush, she turned her head sideways to lay the arrow along her neck and just slipped on thru.  It had been in there for a while, going by that.

I showed the picture to the game warden and he set up a search, but they never did find her.  Speculation was that infection had finally loosened it up and let it slip out.
    MaineRida said:
    Well, I've never thought about taking a head shot while a deer was in my sights.  I don't believe I would do it with a compound or recurve bow regardless, personally it's not a high percentage shot and I have too much respect for the animal. 
    Now a rifle or crossbow with perfect circumstances, maybe (more so with a rifle).
    I have found that blood trails in swamps are difficult and added to it is when there is a shot with minimal bleeding. The only shots I have taken have been behind the shoulder aside from one time that I  did a neck shot on a nice eight point but that was due to being all that was presented. The deer was standing still looking at me and it could turn back or away and be gone for good.  This was with a 7mm mag and a rest,drt.

Well it really up to your ability. I use to be a better shot could see better was stronger and younger. I also practiced and hunted with a few FWC officers. One was always amazed at the fact I could put my quiver of arrows at 20 yard all in a quarter sized ring. So yes I say I had the ability and a few biologist know me as a head shooter. If the animal gives that shot and you feel confident (have the ability) in making it, to me its as good as a body shoot. I can truly say I lost plenty in the swamps on body shoots. I have also lost deer and hogs on head shoots. Its hunting it not ranching. I can say less meat loss with head shots. 
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 892 Officer
    3 deer shot in head   2 bow 1 blackpowder     all dropped in there tracks      all by accident / poor shooting     i feel lucky just to get lungs or nick the heart      no head shots for me on deer.    lotta pics out there of deer walking around with arrows stuck in the neck or face.      
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 3,198 Captain
    Go for the highest percentage shot and never take a risky shot. The prey animal deserves our respect and the hunting tradition deserves our protection as it’s ambassadors.