Skip to main content
Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

Good Day on the Beach

RevJoeyFitzRevJoeyFitz North FLPosts: 211 Deckhand
One of my students and I took out his girl friend on her first fishing trip. Wanted to keep it simple so we hit the beach. Grabbed 1 LB of fresh dead on our way out. Started at Marine Land Beach. Grass was so thick that it was not fishable. Packed up and moved about 15 or so miles south to a high impact beach. 

Put out a 5 pole spread staggering distances and types of fish bites tipped with shrimp. Short rod got hit almost immediately by an unknown fish. Same as the one here…Don’t know what they are or much about them except that they like rocks. So I figured some must be off the beach, which I confirmed the hard way by losing a few rigs 😅 Put the rod back out in the same spot. Caught a nice 15” black margate…Again, a fish that likes rocks. Relocated all other lines and for the next hour+ all I was doing was taking fish off of her hook, re-baiting and casting. Nonstop action of margates, and good sized whiting. Two over 15” and a few over 14”. Had something knock down a rod with cut bait that eventually cut the line. Never saw it. 

After that hour+ was slack tide and the bite shut down. So, we spread out the rods again. After about 30 min bite picked up except as far as we could cast. Pretty steady with the same fish. Packed it up about noon and headed for lunch. All in all a great day since our goal was to put her on fish and she was wore out from so many. 

Replies