Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

What to fish for offshore?

In regards to the recent closures from FWC (red grouper, triggerfish, lane snapper, etc.) Not happy about it but just want to catch some fish if I spend money on gas.  Just wondering where those closures start?  I think they are all in Federal waters but not really sure.  Can someone verify this or post the link that gives guidelines on where we can keep these species.  It's like you need a PhD to keep a fish now.
Thanks for your help.

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,284 AG
    Right now kings are running, or should be for their southern migration.    
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 987 Officer
    edited October 6 #3
    Good thing to do right now is to spend a day (or half day if you want a more relaxed weekend) trolling with a spread of deep and shallow diving plugs in 30-60'. Like SP said, kings are starting to show up with the bait schools along with plenty of Spanish and bonita. But really, I use these trips to scout for new bottom spots for gag and hogfish fishing once the water cools down a bit more. Great way to find a good-looking new ledge or hard bottom area to pay yourself forward in the winter, and sometimes one of those gags will hit a plug for a bonus. If you get a bottom fish to bite, or if you just see a good bottom mark with a show of fish while you're underway, have a couple rods ready to drop a jig or bait and see who's home. 

Running and gunning for bait schools (I usually take a route between marked reefs or hard bottom areas) and throwing flies, jigs, and spoons at them is also great fun for Spanish, bonita, jacks, and the occasional cuda this time of year. I'll take a bonita on light tackle any day of the week, and I've heard of plenty of dudes getting cobia this way. Mangrove and gag bite isn't bad at all either.

Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • DodgerDodger Ft MyersPosts: 234 Deckhand
    Thanks finn!  That sounds like a good plan.