Skip to main content
Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Red tide is back!

Fisherman007Fisherman007 Tampa BayPosts: 219 Deckhand
Went a couple of weeks ago and water was clear, plenty of bait, caught lots of snook.  Went today and water was nasty, got bait but it died immediately.  This month and next month are the best times of the year for inshore fishing imo.  Red tide status from FWC looks awful.  Red tide is back with a vengeance :'( .  

FWC red tide status:
Red Tide - Statewide Status

Replies

• jdl1948jdl1948 Member Posts: 132 Deckhand
    Where were you?  I was out around Clearwater yesterday.  ICW was gin-clear, near shore also pretty good.  A good bit of bait and feeding birds;  less than last week, but a poor tide pattern when I was on the water.  No floaters, no odor. FWC report today says its around, but I haven't seen it lately.
  • Fisherman007Fisherman007 Tampa BayPosts: 219 Deckhand
    I'm at the lower Tampa Bay, upper Sarasota Bay area.  Went to Coquina beach to get bait and the water is awful.  If you look at the FWC red tide map the stuff is everywhere again like beginning of summer.  :(
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Senior Member Sarasota/VenicePosts: 1,151 Officer
    Thankfully Sarasota Bay is still pretty clear where I'm at. Been up by Whitfield and Indian Beach this week and the water seemed fine, but haven't gone further north than that. Central and south bay have been great.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • permit_mepermit_me Senior Member Tampa Bay areaPosts: 1,197 Officer
    I did not know it ever went away...ever since early June it has been impacting pinellas county, some places worse than other others and varies where bloom conc is and where they sample, too. But Once in June Once in July and Once in Aug I fished south of Clearwater up through Honeymoon and Anclote over three trips. red tide was foiund somewhere on each trip. once we found clean water and bait and caught tarpon, another time snook. But all in all i wont drive down and fish there anymore this year. the fish that survived or moved in need a break. some marine has been lost. A record amount. And this aint over yet. Ive even seen its impact up in hernando county in early Aug. and again last week.
    Its been relentless. if you look at fwc map it almost looks like the nutrient trail from Piney point out lower bay and up along both coasts, feeding what was there. 
  • FastEddyFastEddy Member Posts: 103 Deckhand
    There was a couple weeks in Sept  that things started looking good near JP & the beaches in that area - I was hoping we were in the clear.
    Lots of small bait , jacks, snook and some reds started showing up.
    Then last Monday I fished near Johns Pass & the beaches and started seeing algae blooms again and a few dead fish floating. I went back Wednesday and it looked far worse - dead fish  ,tannic looking water and it had that redtide smell.   Hopefully it starts clearing back up soon.
    We haven't had a ton rain lately so I'd assume run-off  from rain isn't the main culprit.
    Permit_me's nutrient trail theory makes the most sense IMO.
  • clarosaclarosa Senior Member tampa, flPosts: 961 Officer
    We have been seeing it off Hudson starting abut 4 miles out, on out to 10-12 miles from july till now. Water gets really dirty looking and we won't lose all our bait, but have lost the more sensitive baits like whitebait and Pigfish. If you look at the map you can see off pasco and hernando there's lots of yellow and orange offshore. https://myfwc.com/research/redtide/statewide/?utm_content=&utm_medium=email&utm_name=&utm_source=govdelivery&utm_term=campaign
    SnappaSlappa jigs, Made By Fisherman FOR fisherman

https://snappaslappa.com/collections/jigs
  • hook_emhook_em Posts: 303 Deckhand
    Yeah, the last time we hit the channel markers on the way out we lost bait.  The bait in the livewell was fine but whatever we pulled up died pretty quickly.  It wasn't until we got to the end of the channel that the water got better.