Skip to main content
Home Boating

ARE PWC BOATS?

snapperwhippersnapperwhipper Senior MemberAt the rampPosts: 131 Deckhand
 Are PWC  boats, do they have FL numbers? and really do they have to follow the same rules of the water ways as boats do
because in north biscayne bay, where you can only run on a plane in the ICW and then only certain spots and certain times of the year
and in  meloy channel and very few other  spots
PWC are zipping around everywhere and the FWC doesn't seem to care. I mean its every day,all over north biscayne bay. I don't boat much on the weekends
 but am sure its worse. So whats the deal not enough resources or its just ok for them??

When all else fails...jiggle that wire:\

Replies

• Tony RomaTony Roma Senior Member Posts: 3,520 Captain
    I believe any vessel with a motor, including a trolling motor must be registered 
  • surfmansurfman Senior Member WC FLPosts: 6,017 Admiral
    PWC must follow the same rules as any boat on the water.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.

Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.  Will Rogers
  • finbullyfinbully Senior Member Hixson, TNPosts: 895 Officer
  • snapperwhippersnapperwhipper Senior Member At the rampPosts: 131 Deckhand
    Well if they’re supposed to be following the same minimum wake rules that everyone else is they are not. It is frustrating to be Idling  all over the place while these guys are just running everywhere I am calling for FWC to do their job. Yes I understand they don’t have props so they’re not going to slice up manatees but they still got to follow the same rules or not? I think I’ll get a
    PWC to use for fishing, Naw
    When all else fails...jiggle that wire:\
  • LostconchLostconch Junior Member Posts: 1,091 Officer
    No wake rules are also in place to preserve shorelines. PWC are big offenders in that regard 
  • pottydocpottydoc Senior Member Sea Plane CityPosts: 5,474 Admiral
    Something about a PWC turns normally decent people into the rear end of a donkey. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski Senior Member GrovelandPosts: 16,640 AG
    pottydoc said:
    Something about a PWC turns normally decent people into the rear end of a donkey. 
    Did a lake day a few yrs ago with my brother, his girlfriend and our boat, they brought PWCs. he jumps on it at the boat ramp and immediately HAMMER DOWN!   I had to stand up and yell at him HEY HEY HEY!!   "What""   IT'S A NO WAKE ZONE!      what's that?  Dude...just follow me until i tell you that you can go full throttle..   
    It was like all sense just left his mind.   
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • StankBaitStankBait Senior Member JacksonvillePosts: 422 Deckhand
    Many of the PWC people have never had a boat. Especially one that runs at 50+
    Don't know the rules and lack boating experience. Don't think they are as bad as they used to be ten years ago. They seem to stay away to themselves more than they used to. Don't think they are getting as many broken legs running in to each other.