Fishing Tampa's Courtney Campbell Causeway in the fifties
Courtney Campbell Causeway was commissioned by the owner of a local dredging company, Ben T. Davis, in the late 1920s to provide a more direct link between Tampa and Clearwater.
Costing $900,000 in total, the Davis Causeway was opened on January 28, 1934 with a 25¢ toll per car. In 1944, the federal government seized the Davis Causeway as part of America's war effort, paying its previous owners $1.1 million and transferring ownership to the state of Florida.
The oyster were plentiful:
We harvested them by the bushel and knew what to do with them:
As the sun came up we began to think about fishing:
The miles of grass flats were teaming with hungry Trout and Red Fish just waiting to be caught:
Talk about Heaven on Earth:
As the sun dove into Tampa Bay the Tarpon were ready for a fight: