Home General Hunting

Chaffing

josh_scott84josh_scott84 Palm HarborPosts: 855 Officer
Not a popular subject but this is a real problem for me and I'm expecting others but I have not found a real good proactive solution.

How do yall protect against chaffing? I'm not a big guy, 5'10 |175, but after putting in several miles in the FL heat, I'm pretty drenched. I've switched up my pants, shirts, and boots this year to help with over heating and blisters but have not found a good solution for chaffing. 

I see companies like Firstlite and Sitka marketing hunting briefs but I can't image a pair of $30 boxers is the solution here as I already wear similar. Gold bond and the like work well after the fact but I'm looking to avoid the situation altogether.

I welcome any suggestions and all jokes at my expense :)

Replies

• Lineman North FloridaLineman North Florida Posts: 384 Deckhand
    You are looking at it wrong, you don't need different drawers, you need to do away with drawers period, saturate with baby powder( cooling cucumber#1 ) corn starch will work in a pinch, probably gonna feel a little odd at first, but once you get used to it, there will be no more wearing drawers, been working outside in the heat for 35 years so I have been there.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 4,568 Captain
    You may not want to hear this Josh, but sometimes ya just gotta play with the pain. ;)

You can always corn starch or baby powder your peanuts and rabbit foot at the house before you head out, or when you step out of the truck. Cotton has always been my go-to but I have still suffered at times. With real bad cases I've just hunted closer to the truck. There's also a product out there called Fresh Balls that seems to work pretty good too. It goes on as a lotion but turns into a powder.

The problem though, as you stated, is that you gotta get ahead of it. Once it starts it's almost always a downhill slide. I've tried duct tape with gauze and everything in between with varied success but no guarantees. Hopefully someone else has better advice.

• meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 859 Officer
    tight underware and a heavy dusting of corn starch       wipe down dry around noon and powder up again with corn starch      also some guys would wear a manpon    rolled up paper towel or even a sock tucked between butt cheeks if your prone to butt chaffing      i got some  sizeable nutz and a droopy sack so i learned to keep everything snug and heavily powdered with corn starch or a between the sack and leg rash was common on long foot patrols.   today i only wear loose fitting columbia fishing pants when i hunt with tight boxer briefs that go down to mid thigh and always got a zip lock bag of corn starch in my backpack      gotta keep dry and if not keep pants or underware from rubbing.       
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,842 Captain
    Lube up with Vaseline on the spots that give you issues before you leave the house….. there are companies that make chafing gel or cream , but it’s just like Vaseline just more expensive.
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 Palm HarborPosts: 855 Officer
    The corn starch was a new one for me, I'll certainly try that. I'm not sure about the free balling though, I'm willing to give it a shot scouting and see how it goes. Figure that might introduce chaffing in other areas like the waist line. I wear a heavy duty hanks belt with an owb holster typically.

Thank you for the suggestions. Couple times I've rubbed myself raw pretty good.
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 732 Officer
    I have had good results using Lanacane anti chaffing gel. I have also used vaseline as mentioned above. You could prolly use one of the products bicyclist's use like Butt butter...etc
    Funny MC, my wife mentioned Lanacane as it was crucial for her after our son was born and a cyclist friend of mine mentioned a product he uses similar to Butt butter. Lots of good options; I think whichever creates the least amount of mess at the end of the day will be the winner. Vaseline sounds like it would be quite a mess
    Do not free ball! Tighter fitting mid thigh boxers made from a good wicking material are about the best place to start in my opinion. 
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 532 Officer
    I have 3 or 4 or 5 pair of tight fitting wicking mid-thigh boxers and wear em every fishing, scouting, or hunting trip.

Desitin (zinc oxide) is a cure-all for butt munch.  I've not tried using it before hand but it works wonders after.
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 859 Officer
    wanna feel like a buzzard puked slimy fish guts inside your underware go with vasaline or a jel           wanna feel dry and fresh ready to take on the world   try corn starch         just remember when you start to  feel little wet time to re up     quick wipe with paper towel and handfull corn starch your ready to go       ball up the paper towel and try to hit your buddy in the face with it      nothing better then seeing a ball soaked paper towel hit someone in the face   the cloud of white dust and look on there face will be priceless     other things mentioned will work i just hate that slimy feeling   kinda like your walking around after a wet fart. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,009 AG
    edited September 17 #12
    Anti Monkey Butt Anti-Friction Powder 6 oz 1 pkanti monkey butt powder.  ace Hardware 
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • mannyescomannyesco MiamiPosts: 21 Deckhand
    I ran into this issue this year also. On the front and back end. Worst feeling ever. What worked for me was A+D prevent. It’s like a cream you put on baby’s. Smells great and works like a charm. Applied it before every trip and it would last me all trip. I prefer it over the powder cause you have to apply the powder often and every time you walk it looks like smoke is coming out of your pants😂. Acts like a lubricant so it glides instead of rubs aggressively 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,009 AG
    If you end up being too late and the chafe has set in, Bag Balm is a good remedy.   They use it for diaper rash.    I don't think there's a worse feeling than that long walk back with chapped cheeks.  I swear you can see sparks coming out the bottom of my pant legs...
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 2,312 Captain
    Migawd, you guys make me glad I'm skinny.  I've never even heard of this problem before reading this thread.  Up until recently, I hiked a lot in all weather, all seasons and in rough country and never had a problem with what you're saying.
    Thinking further on it, I can't stand the short legged type of underwear that some seem to be calling briefs.  To me, briefs are the no-legged type with elasticized leg openings and a pouch for my riggin'.  I've never worn anything else.  Seems to me the pouch would help a lot with what you're saying.....keeping things separated.
    edited September 17 #17
    Yeah free balling didn't sound like a good option to be honest.

Not to be so forthcoming but this is essentially what I wear. Come the second half of the day though the chapp is real.

Not sure why I haven't thought to use the same products we used on our boy. ie: Desitin, A&D, Lanacane, etc. Not worn regular brief since childhood but that may be worth a shot too.

edited September 17 #18
    Missed said:
    I have 3 or 4 or 5 pair of tight fitting wicking mid-thigh boxers and wear em every fishing, scouting, or hunting trip.

Missed, What brand are those? I think the moisture wicking would help.
    Yah, those are just what I was talking about.  Seems to me things would stick together when sweaty.

These are the briefs I use.  The pouch keeps my rigging separate from legs.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,546 Admiral
    WD  40..
    Just carry a can with you.
    Seriously..I'm a free swinger , only wear drawers in the winter. Never understood the need for drawers anyway.
    Soldiers in Nam went Commando cause it ain't no fun wearing sweat soaked drawers all week
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    This is the stuff my cyclist buddy suggested. I've never heard of the brand but the ingredients look like it's just some doctored up corn starch.
    https://www.amazon.com/Carpe-Sweat-Absorbing-Groin-Powder/dp/B08QN9H64Y

• 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,596 Captain
    There is no good solution.
    Just walk funny with the rest of us and know that you are not alone.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 532 Officer
    edited September 18 #24
    Missed said:

Missed, What brand are those? I think the moisture wicking would help.
    https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/under-armour-mens-tech-6-in-boxer-briefs-2-pack?sku=black-medium

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/bcg-mens-performance-9-in-solid-compression-briefs?sku=black-x-large

These are what i use.  Compression versions are better than non compression.  And the longer the better.

Yup, about $15/each.  Get a 2 or 3 pack and that'll get you thru a WMA hunt.  They also wash/rinse easy.  Then next year get another 2 or 3 pack and you'll be set for whatever you need to be set for.

Not to be so forthcoming but this is essentially what I wear. Come the second half of the day though the chapp is real.

Not sure why I haven't thought to use the same products we used on our boy. ie: Desitin, A&D, Lanacane, etc. Not worn regular brief since childhood but that may be worth a shot too.

A&D has saved my a** many times on long hikes. Apply it before every trip and you won’t regret it
  • TheSuperApeTheSuperApe Posts: 31 Deckhand
    Been free ballin for years. It works better than you think. It's the sweat that makes your drawers salty and the salt is what chafes you.
    Been free ballin for years. It works better than you think. It's the sweat that makes your drawers salty and the salt is what chafes you.
    Only a few of us know the truth, but we are a small un-chaffed group.
    Roast beef flaps don't chaffe like a heavy bag of coconuts, boys.  ;)
    Big Mak said:
    Roast beef flaps don't chaffe like a heavy bag of coconuts, boys.  ;)
    Bellow like a bull. ;)

• zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 1,384 Officer
    mannyesco said:

A&D has saved my a** many times on long hikes. Apply it before every trip and you won’t regret it
    I stopped wearing these same exact boxers last year. Used to be all I wore but since buying these cheap dickies that's all ill wear now. Moisture wicking and even a "pocket" for your junk you can't even tell your wearing any. If your already at the needing Vaseline stage its way too late for powder to do any good. Just hope your aykeast on your way back to vehicle. That _hit sucks!!  

zimmy4209 said:
    mannyesco said:

I stopped wearing these same exact boxers last year. Used to be all I wore but since buying these cheap dickies that's all ill wear now. Moisture wicking and even a "pocket" for your junk you can't even tell your wearing any. If your already at the needing Vaseline stage its way too late for powder to do any good. Just hope your aykeast on your way back to vehicle. That _hit sucks!!  

Yeah I’ve started wearing those too. When it comes to putting Vaseline or any cream… better have it on and not need it then need it and not have it on lol. Nothing is worse then sumo walking out of the woods so I take every measure I can and do whatever I can to prevent it hahaha