Home General Paddle Craft

Barracuda cut off the propellor.....

Of my Little Tunny before I could reel it in.

Replies

• demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 482 Deckhand
     They certainly do that....

I had one eat my white meat (mutton) Friday night! 
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 10,557 AG
    Lots of power in additon to sharp teeth in that mouth. You know how much pressure you have to apply with a knife to cut through the backbones of fish. They do it with ease.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• krashkrash Posts: 768 Officer
    It's amazing how quickly they can cut a fish in half like that and circle back and pick up the prize... you pull up a head still breathing.

Old Fugger who just likes to fish
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,492 Captain
    krash said:
    It's amazing how quickly they can cut a fish in half like that and circle back and pick up the prize... you pull up a head still breathing.

Yes it is amazing.  This Cuda was so adamant about coming back for seconds, that I could have free-gaffed him.  Instead, I pulled out the underwater GoPro to get some attack footage, but unfortunately, operator error prevented what would have been some interesting photos.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,052 AG
    still very cool photo 
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,456 Captain
    If you take a close look (be careful....) barracuda are designed not only with razor sharp teeth - but the sharp edges point forward and in a perfect V formation.  As a result, a strike on a target is done at high speed so those teeth slice right through skin, flesh, and bone.  Like all high speed fish with sharp teeth - they're generally aiming at the tail of their target since a bite there renders that meal stationary until Mr. Cuda can swing back around and finish his meal... 

Something you don't hear much about but barracuda have actually killed people - not in a deliberate attack - just part of how they react when either coming after food - or that first wild leaping run when hooked... Put simply if you're close to the water and have hooked a big one remember - you might actually have to duck if one is screaming in your direction.  When they do those wild leaps - it's with mouth open, and me.. .I'd rather not be in the way... 

The other hazard big and even small cuda represent is their willingness to strike any small flashy thing that might be a bait fish.... Wearing anything shiny in the water when swimming or working around boats in the water is not a very good idea if there's cuda around.... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Something you don't hear much about but barracuda have actually killed people - not in a deliberate attack - just part of how they react when either coming after food - or that first wild leaping run when hooked... Put simply if you're close to the water and have hooked a big one remember - you might actually have to duck if one is screaming in your direction.  When they do those wild leaps - it's with mouth open, and me.. .I'd rather not be in the way... 
    Thanks for sharing your insight.  I have never heard of a person getting killed by a cuda, but it would not surprise me too much if medical attention was unavailable.  Most of the Cudas I catch are hooked deep, and never jump.  Once in a while I will hook one on a surface bait, and the jumps do throw me off as I am always hoping it's a Mahi.  They are a spoiler -- wishing for a better quality fish, then up comes Mr. Barracuda.
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 1,421 Officer
    Chumming for Kings with live bait has caused a few very close encounters with Cudas either jumping in the boat, or passing close by when skying on the baits. Kings can also do extensive damage when in mid air, or on the deck.
    CaptJ said:
    Chumming for Kings with live bait has caused a few very close encounters with Cudas either jumping in the boat, or passing close by when skying on the baits. Kings can also do extensive damage when in mid air, or on the deck.
    Interesting.  I fish primarily from Hollywood to Boynton Beach and frequently see Kings skying, but rarely see a Cuda displaying that action.