Home General Hunting

place to hunt

RetCo13683RetCo13683 sun city FloridaPosts: 1 Greenhorn
good morning fellow sportsman my name is ED Recently retired from NYcity dept of corrections moved to florida sun city area for now.while i realize info on places to hunt is sacred to most hunters but trying to understand floridas regulations is confusing to me .if any body can point me in the direction of public hunting land it would be greatly appreciated. i also would like to apologize for the vast amount of people flooding your beautiful state myself included  but i could not stand new york for one more day democrats be dammed i hope i will be welcomed  for i am an honest hard working man who is just looking for some peace in the deer woods.

Replies

• FloridahuntFloridahunt Palm BeachPosts: 191 Deckhand
    Hi Ed welcome to Florida! There’s public land all over so at least a vague location would help point you some place. Fwc has a wma finder you can check out. You’re kind of late for quota stuff but you can check out the big non quota places like I do such as the Big Cypress, Corbette and Ocala if you enjoy punishment. Most will advise you to get a hunting lease.

https://ocean.floridamarine.org/HGMSearch/Search.aspx?sb=Categories
  • rudyengrudyeng Posts: 409 Deckhand
    Central fl ??  Ocala & Bull Creek.  Don't waste your time going south.

Best of luck !!
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,261 Captain
    edited September 3 #4
    Ed,
    Simply review FWCC literature. And Go There.Too much? Stay Out!
    .....on the other hand, we understand you might be scared and squeamish, otherwise you would  have ended up Here long ago. 
    Ha!.... no need to Apologize. You are now, here, granted an Official Pass To Leave Florida. 
    Go back North to Northern New York Public Lands. 
    Buy a Camp adjacent to or within New York Public Hunt Lands.
    Live it up!
    -Florida League Against Progress
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 9,516 Admiral
    Richloam and Green Swamp are probably the closest WMA's to Sun City.  Both are quota areas but only for the first nine days.....

I have a Quota permit for Richloam for the first nine days. Richloam is a dog hunt area...... I plan on using that to my advantage (I am not going to try to cut off another man or groups dogs) I have dog hunted and still hunted around dogs in the past..... I have a game plan......
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,178 Admiral
    Richloam and Green Swamp are probably the closest WMA's to Sun City.  Both are quota areas but only for the first nine days.....

I have a Quota permit for Richloam for the first nine days. Richloam is a dog hunt area...... I plan on using that to my advantage (I am not going to try to cut off another man or groups dogs) I have dog hunted and still hunted around dogs in the past..... I have a game plan......
    He says a lot here. Whatever one may think of "dog hunting" it is a fact that if you stay in your stand, and if you've positioned your stand on what appears to be a "natural travel lane", the folks running dogs may well get things moving which are not being chased by the dogs. You're not stealing from them in that sort of instance but rather participating in a "drive".........sort of.

• MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 732 Officer
    I love hearing those dogs run at Richloam, I just hate it when they cross the fence into Green Swamp West during the archery hunts. Deer on the run with a bow is pretty hard. LOL 
    bswiv said:

He says a lot here. Whatever one may think of "dog hunting" it is a fact that if you stay in your stand, and if you've positioned your stand on what appears to be a "natural travel lane", the folks running dogs may well get things moving which are not being chased by the dogs. You're not stealing from them in that sort of instance but rather participating in a "drive".........sort of.

I grew up in a dog club..... By my mid teens I was trusted to do a bunch of things and fill assorted roles..... My favorite thing to do.... Walk in following the dogs.....
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,261 Captain
    New York Ed,
    No deer hunting with dogs in New York. 
    Another Northeastern Liberal problem. 
    You will enjoy Florida Hunting! 
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • NrahNrah North Central FloridaPosts: 17 Deckhand
    edited September 7 #10
    Hi, ED, Welcome to Florida.

You will find a FWC (Florida Wildlife Commission) magazine (free) at most  Sporting Goods Stores, Wal-Marts, or the local Tax Collector's Office-(think DMV, without the aggravating waiting you had to do, up north, when you go to change your registration and license, you are in for such a treat. They'll have you in and out, in about 15  minutes.)

Anyway, get the 2021 FWC hunting manual, it maps out all the local public hunting areas. Once you get into your neighborhood, hopefully
    you'll run into a neighbor who leases hunting property. Finding a private hunting lease may take some time. Be patient. Learn Dixie Hospitality, make a bunch of friends down here. WTTW, I've been here 10 years, came from N.J. Leave NY in NY, I was afraid if I didn't leave NJ behind, I was going to turn Florida into NJ. So leave all that behind. Trust me, you won't miss it.
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 1,018 Officer
    One of my tactics is to hunt the border between Richloam and the Green Swamp during dog season. 
  • BigSloughRanchBigSloughRanch ArcadiaFlPosts: 5 Deckhand
    Big Slough Outfitters offers hog hunting on a private ranch best hog hunting in the state, owned and operated by 5th generation Floridans. you don't have to worry about other hunters or dogs running by.
    Feel free to give me a call or text 
    Rob
    BigSloughRanch said offers hog hunting on a private ranch best hog hunting in the state, owned and operated by 5th generation Floridans. you don't have to worry about other hunters or dogs running by.
    Feel free to give me a call or text 
    Rob

You mean penned up hogs, starved a few days and shot over corn piles????
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,562 Admiral
    edited September 8 #14
    It's a Big Pen...
    Being  a Cracker I'd have a hard time paying for a Hog Hunt...Having said that they fill a Void.
    Friend of mine from Ohio has a couple of young Boys that had Hogs on their Bucket List . Country Doctor teaching his kids right.
    He lives far away but has a House in Marco as well .. Busy guy.
    He did one of them Hog Hunts with his boys and they are walking all around High school in Ohio proudly showing off their Trophy Boars they Stalked.
    Their Proud , Busy Dad is happy and the price was good.
    Good for Everybody involved.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    Funny how people are...
    No pens here boys
    Big Slough Ranch is the real deal  1600 acres surrounded by thousands of acres in all direction in Manatee County 10 miles east of Myakka Park.  
    Funny how people are...
    No pens here boys
    Big Slough Ranch is the real deal  1600 acres surrounded by thousands of acres in all direction in Manatee County 10 miles east of Myakka Park.  
    LMAO.... So you are saying I will not find any corn on your entire 1600 acres?

Care to prove it?
    I got money and time to spend and a new shotgun (buckshot) to try out...

I have some days coming up...

Let  me know... But I am willing to spend money to see all 1600 acres. Not just the places you want to show me... But all the places I want to see... And I don't even want the hog... I might take a ham.... But I really do not care.... Donate it, take it home... Let the buzzards eat....

We have stands with feeders and some with out  we also run protein feeders for the deer and feed plots for deer and the turkeys. Most folks call us don't have a lot of free time and when they get a chance to hunt they want to bring home the bacon. If you want to hunt and have the opportunity to take a few hogs call or text. If you want a tour of native Florida Myakka Park is down the road
    edited September 8 #19
    edited September 8 #20
    edited September 8 #21
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,608 Captain

😂 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.