Home General Fishing

Most Versatile boat for salt and freshwater..

TMikeTMike GeorgiaPosts: 4 Greenhorn
Looking to getting a vacation home around the Vero Beach/Fort Pierce, Lucie area.  I'm a hard core bass guy and used to fish alot of redfish in my younger years in the Louisiana marsh.  I want to do both salt and fresh!  What is a good all around boat to fish  stick marsh then turn around and fish Mosquito lagoon/Indian River and maybe go into the atlantic on calm days for tarpon, reds, snook etc.  Leaning towards a bay boat but I have never fished Stick Marsh/Kennansville/Headwaters or the Indian Lagoon.  Whats the consensus for those of you that have fished both. Prefer not to have 2 boats :(.  

Replies

• cortrcortr Posts: 429 Deckhand
    Definitely bay boat
  • poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 611 Officer
    Another vote for bay boat. We do pretty much exactly that in our 23' dorado minus the freshwater- no true flats fishing, but shorelines / creek mouths / bars down to 2-3 foot depth, a lot of inlet/ICW/beach work for tarpon and bull reds, and occasionally pop out a few miles to the closest reefs.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,009 AG
    My 21' bay boat does the job nearshore salt and whatever lake stuff you want to do.    
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • TMikeTMike GeorgiaPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    My 21' bay boat does the job nearshore salt and whatever lake stuff you want to do.    
    What boat model brand do you have?  
    Another vote for bay boat. We do pretty much exactly that in our 23' dorado minus the freshwater- no true flats fishing, but shorelines / creek mouths / bars down to 2-3 foot depth, a lot of inlet/ICW/beach work for tarpon and bull reds, and occasionally pop out a few miles to the closest reefs.
    As someone that has never done any flats fishing what depth of water would you consider true flats fishing?  
    TMike said:
    What boat model brand do you have?  
    Sea Pro SV2100 with a brand new 2021 Suzuki 175 4 stroke.   You can trailer it with pretty much anything it only weighs 3000 pounds total.    holds 50 gal of fuel.   Range is probably 150 miles but i've never tempted fate like that.   It says rated for 8 people and up to 1300 pounds but I have never had more than 5 people and a dog on it at once and that's a bit cramped.   We trailer it to the keys, we take it scalloping, we take it on the lakes here in Central FL.   It does everything.  

• 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,644 Captain
    I was in the same predicament as you.... I went with a 20' Blazer bay boat. 6 years ago it was all about bass fishing and little salt water fishing. Now its all about backwater fishing and havent bass fished in who knows how long.
    Will be going to a 22'-24' bay boat when prices get back to some kind of normal.
    As for make and model? Your budget will dictate that.
    Jason :USA
    1outlaw said:
    I was in the same predicament as you.... I went with a 20' Blazer bay boat. 6 years ago it was all about bass fishing and little salt water fishing. Now its all about backwater fishing and havent bass fished in who knows how long.
    Will be going to a 22'-24' bay boat when prices get back to some kind of normal.
    If you can get the 24' bay boat definitely go for it.   If you really want to do some atlantic side stuff, bigger is always better.   
    1outlaw said:
    Thats what I am afraid is gonna happen to me as well.  I live in Atlanta now but I am originally from South Louisana, I miss my red fishing LOL  But florida has snook, tarpon AND reds LOL.  
    TMike said:
    1outlaw said:
    Thats what I am afraid is gonna happen to me as well.  I live in Atlanta now but I am originally from South Louisana, I miss my red fishing LOL  But florida has snook, tarpon AND reds LOL.  
    You start messing around with snook and tarpon you will forget all about those bass LOL
    1outlaw said:
    If you can get the 24' bay boat definitely go for it.   If you really want to do some atlantic side stuff, bigger is always better.   
    Yes sir. Bigger is always better. Wife is the 1 who suggested going to a bigger boat, who am i to argue LOL
  • poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 611 Officer
    TMike said:
    As someone that has never done any flats fishing what depth of water would you consider true flats fishing?  
    What I call true flats fishing is the textbook sight fishing by slowly creeping along in water less than 2 feet deep, generally with a guy on a poling platform. For example how most people target bonefish.