Home General Hunting

Antler regulations....Someone splain this....

JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 9,516 Admiral
So it has been a dozen years or so since I have deer hunted........

The antler regulations seem like a convaluted mess.....

These are the regulations for the DMU I plan on hunting.

All antlered deer must have an antler with at least 3 points (1 inch or more in length) OR have a main beam length of 10 inches or more to be legal to take.

The way I am reading this..... A deer must be a three pointer with each point being an inch or more in length. So a deer that has a fork on one side and a spike on the other is legal?

Or a tall spike, cow horned spike, or a single spike is legal as long as the antler is more than 10 inches long?

Replies

• 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,600 Captain
    No on the fork horn.
    It’s 3 on one side.(unless it’s 10”).
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 9,516 Admiral
    4WARD said:
    No on the fork horn.
    So three points of at least one inch on a side unless one side is 10 inches?
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,765 Captain
    So basically as long as something has a ten inch main beam it is a shooter..
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 732 Officer
    4WARD said:
    No on the fork horn.
    Yes the fork horn is legal as long as main beam is 10" It doesn't take much to reach 10" Below is one I shot in Big Cypress many years ago. He easily makes 10"
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 4,570 Captain
    Ten inch main beam or 3 points on one side. Or, you can bring a kid and let him kill and claim that 6 inch, camp meat, spike you've been watching. ;)
  • James243James243 Posts: 813 Officer
    Or you can take an “antlerless” deer with 4.5” spikes in archery/antlerless dates. 
    This is getting complicated.... I think I am just going to shoot them in the head with buckshot...

He was a six pointer but the buckshot blew his antlers off.... I looked all over but I could not find them 
  • hoggatorhoggator Posts: 450 Deckhand
    This is getting complicated.... I think I am just going to shoot them in the head with buckshot...

He was a six pointer but the buckshot blew his antlers off.... I looked all over but I could not find them 
    All correct & good info till this ^
    To review:
    1.  Deer must have at least 1 main beam of 10” or longer, or have at least 3 points over 1” each on one side.  
    2. A child May shoot 1 deer per season with at least 1 antler 5” or bigger.  
    3. Deer with antlers under 5” count as antler-less bucks, if those are allowed to shoot. 
  • MCSHunterMCSHunter Posts: 732 Officer

But occifer, I swear he was legal. Book em Dano
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,843 Captain
    And to confuse you more, the area I’ve been hunting a buck must have 5in main beam and 2 points which measure an inch or more… read the wma brochure carefully for the area you are hunting.
    And to confuse you more, the area I’ve been hunting a buck must have 5in main beam and 2 points which measure an inch or more… read the wma brochure carefully for the area you are hunting.
    I checked... it reads exactly the way I posted in my first post..... Thanks though...

I remember a time when it was all so simple.... Pretty much if it had horns, any horns, it was legal...... I forget but it seems like when I was a kid, the law read at least one inch spike. 
  • joelunchbucketjoelunchbucket Posts: 697 Officer
    It ain’t rocket science. 10” beam is legal. 3 points on a side is legal. Have one and you’re good. Don’t have one and you aren’t legal. 

It used to be illegal to shoot does anywhere in FL. 

Things change, luckily. 
    It ain’t rocket science. 10” beam is legal. 3 points on a side is legal. Have one and you’re good. Don’t have one and you aren’t legal. 

It used to be illegal to shoot does anywhere in FL. 

Things change, luckily. 
    I remember when they only had one doe day a season. Maybe I remember no do days...... I am old...

I do remember when the lease I was on first got do tags. We had to put one side of the jaw and any fetuses in a ziplock, mark them with the date and tag number and freeze them for the biologists. 
  • FKALunchMoneyFKALunchMoney BrevardPosts: 8 Deckhand
    Whaddup JB

My question is, how do ya'll get them to hold still so you can measure that 10" main beam?
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 2,205 Captain
    If you only knew how hard it was to get that "10 inch beam" in the rules!!!!.You can thank the dog hunters who rightfully expressed your sentiments at a FWC Commission meeting....how to count points on a running deer.....sometimes possible...sometimes hard to do....and with the 10 inch option, gave a better chance of "being legal"...Florida is a complex state when it comes to writing deer hunting regulations.....some of us have had our hair turn grey over the last close to ten years of DMTAG meetings.....From tropical swamps with a rut scattered to the winds in patches of land, to the panhandle's more traditional hard ruts that come with colder winters.....

• osprey11osprey11 Posts: 1,350 Officer
    Just wait Johninny B.     Get this.  When bowhunting you can shoot a less than 5 in buck as a doe.    If he is 5in to 10inch non 3 on 1 side.   HE IS ILLEGAL.    
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 3,100 Captain
    Well there is quite a bit of anticipation that hunters can knowingly tell the difference between a legal doe deer and one that isn’t. After all most of us tout ourselves as being woodsman/hunters first and shooters second. Otherwise we’re in the same boat as the “where’s that young bears parents “…crowd. 
    Deer at feeders should give us time to determine if it’s a doe or a button buck. After all, we give the big rack ones cute “tv Hunter names”…
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 863 Officer
    Whaddup JB

My question is, how do ya'll get them to hold still so you can measure that 10" main beam?
    yea   and now you gotta carry a tape measurer in your backpack      i just whip it out and start doing the math     ok so i need this antler to be 10 inches so 4 x this is 12 inches   ok ok im lying 5 x this is 10 inches  ooh just made it       the one inch points are no problem though.    dumb rule    forked antler would accomplish the same thing.
  • altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 649 Officer
    Like Nathan said, it is a complex issue, people like him and the Florida State Dog Hunters Assoc.
    fought long and hard for what we got.

The simple solution was a statewide 8 pt rule. 

To those complaining, I did not see you at FWC meetings.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,405 AG
    altuck said:
    Like Nathan said, it is a complex issue, people like him and the Florida State Dog Hunters Assoc.
    fought long and hard for what we got.

The simple solution was a statewide 8 pt rule. 

To those complaining, I did not see you at FWC meetings.
    I go to some and I went to 1 DMTAG meeting, screw your 8 pt rule.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 649 Officer
    Number1, may haps I did not make myself clear.
    The 8 pt rule was one of the suggestions made.
    Thanks to those who did participate, we were able to get that idea shut down.
    The only compromise some want is no restrictions. I’ve been here through the five inch spike, the one inch spike, back to the five inch spike and now the current rules. The most consistent thing I’ve heard in my lifetime of hunting is, how do I know how long one, five and now ten inches is. Amazing B)
  • OGBOHICAOGBOHICA floridaPosts: 603 Officer
    Hows the success story on AR's doing...by now every DMU should be  trophy spot according to the wise people who sold us this BS
  • WildManWildMan Posts: 275 Deckhand
    Alway's going to have people on both sides of the fence no matter what.  Folks been griping about unbalanced sex ratios, not enough deer, not enough bucks, not enough older bucks, etc. and lots of hunters were complaining that FL doesn't follow other states in actively managing deer.  Now whether it was the majority of hunters or not, who knows, but those that were complaining were the ones that were the loudest, attending meetings, etc. and FWC surveys pointed to a majority (yes, tin foil hat wearers will proclaim these were rigged).

APRs were designed to address the above complaints.  By protecting younger bucks you work to balance the sex ratio while also increasing number of bucks/population (bag limits help with this as well). If you wanted to stabilize or decrease populations while balancing sex ratio then you would increase doe harvest rather than primarily just decrease buck harvest. As I've said before, balancing sex ratios is like a see-saw, given you can do it on both sides, the side you do it with just depends on whether you want to increase or decrease the overall population.

FL APRs were designed to primarily protect 1.5 year old bucks so not even close to trophy deer management as some keep portraying. If trying to manage for trophies you would be trying to protect up to 3.5 year old bucks (likely 4 pt on a side or better combined with spread restrictions, and you would greatly increase doe harvest to decrease populations to a low density to reduce competition for food, etc.).

With all that said, I'm not necessarily a proponent of APRs in FL, as I'm primarily a meat hunter.  However, the APRs really haven't decreased the number of bucks I harvest, even though I have to pass up a few more these days.  The bag limits would have more influence of reducing my harvest, but then 4 or 5 deer (3 bucks & 2 does) per year are plenty for me.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 4,547 Captain
    OGBOHICA said:
    Hows the success story on AR's doing...by now every DMU should be  trophy spot according to the wise people who sold us this BS
    I haven't notice an increase in buck size. Looks the same to me as before the ARs. In north Florida people are still generally shooting what they want on private land with no consequence. Same with the new bag limit. 

Where's that harvest data BTW since the bag limits and report system went into place? 
    As said by wildman, APRs were never about Trophy deer management. If some keep stating a falsehood long enough it takes on a life as a truism. So respectfully OGbohica, please state only the truth. 
  • joelunchbucketjoelunchbucket Posts: 697 Officer
    OGBOHICA said:
    10” trophy! 

Good one! LOL

You should probably stick to Wisconsin. 
    Now whether it was the majority of hunters or not, who knows, but those that were complaining were the ones that were the loudest, attending meetings, etc. and FWC surveys pointed to a majority (yes, tin foil hat wearers will proclaim these were rigged)

68% of the hunting population in florida had no problem until MY FWCC introduced a new loaded survey... BOHICA
    AR's have done squat to protect 1.5 yr old bucks for future trophy mounts...  a buck killed is a buck killed. A doe killed is a doe killed.... unless you re trying to balance a deer herd toward TROPHY management youre pissn in the wind.

FL should be working towards mximum sustainability, but that takes too much real work to achieve