Home Off Topic

What do you consider as a good nights sleep?

conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 11,072 AG
As I have gotten older if I sleep six solid hours I consider that pretty good. I wish I could sleep more and sometimes I do but not as often as I would like.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Replies

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 17,580 Moderator
    Typical night is asleep around 9:30, solid till 1 or 2. Get up to whiz, ruminate till around 3, REM sleep till 5:30 and then I'm up.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,618 Captain
    yep^^^.
    I am up between 3 and 5 every morning. If I need more sleep I have to crash earlier.
    It's my favorite time of the day. It does run in the family also. 6 hours and I'm good.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 663 Officer
    I'm an 8+ kind of guy. Lately I get up at 7 for work, and I'm usually asleep by 10-10:30. If left to my natural rythm I'd probably be about half an hour later on both ends.

I never sleep past 8:30 or so unless I've gotten in super late from traveling or some other unusual circumstance 

• SaltwaterdawgSaltwaterdawg Too far from the gulfPosts: 3,274 Captain
    Lately, 10 to 12 hours with 4 restroom visits. 
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 3,337 Captain
    8 hours a night works for me now. In my youth 5 or 6 hours and I was good for a long day’s work.
  • 4drinkmin4drinkmin The BarPosts: 879 Officer
    Typical crash 9:30 or 10. Wake up 7:30ish unless on the boat. Like my sleep.

On the boat those hours are probably cut in half listening to A/C and bilge pumps while on the hook. 
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 4,728 Captain
    I am not much of a sleeper. I'm am more of a napper, especially at work. If I stay busy I don't need much sleep, but if I have idle time I can go out in the blink of an eye, at just about any hour.

Our sleep at work is very broken up most of the time and that can be brutal for people not accustomed to it. We do try to mitigate it with a watch schedule but there's always overlap and other things going on that prohibit sound, regimented sleep.

Having said that, when I'm home and not busy, I'm usually in the rack by 11pm and up at 6. I usually don't use alarm clocks either unless I have to get to a boat ramp early. Even then I'm more often than not awake before the alarm sounds.
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 2,150 Captain
    Typical night is asleep around 9:30, solid till 1 or 2. Get up to whiz, ruminate till around 3, REM sleep till 5:30 and then I'm up.
    Same for me. Ever so often I will sleep thru till 5:00 and then get up. 

God sleeps in the minerals, awakens in plants, walks in animals, and thinks in man.

Arthur Young

• Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 28,230 AG
    An Ambien with four ounces of bourbon. Seven to eight hours of solid sleep. Don't even wake up to pee in the middle of the night.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 4,728 Captain
    Also, back when I swordfished there were numerable instances where we would work for days on end with only a hour or two of sleep a day. Sometimes that would go on for a solid week. I can remember thinking, 'when we get back to the dock I'm going to sleep for a week'. Of course that week long slumber never happened with a pocket full of money and free time to kill.
  • SC53SC53 Posts: 675 Officer
    8-9 hours with 2-3 pee breaks. 
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 15,546 AG
    10-5:30/6:30 week days
    10:30 - 8am weekends

I am trying to get in the habit of earlier to bed , earlier to rise.   Especially on the weekends I'd like to rise with the sun.
    Just dropping grenades in OT
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 4,740 Captain
    At middle age I need 8 or more hours and rarely more get 5-6. 
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 38,945 AG
    I probably sleep 6 or 7 hours out of 8 or 9  I spend in bed. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• Mango ManMango Man Posts: 12,729 AG
    5 is the norm, 6 if I am lucky, 7-8 is rare. 

It seems like my amount of sleep is decreasing as I get older. 

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
    If I take a therapeutic brownie, I swear I feel worse and groggy in the am after 8 hours.  
  • GardawgGardawg IslamoradaPosts: 13,492 AG
    Cup of warm milk with mocha Kahlua and a fattie.  I'm good for 5 or 6 hours of sound sleep. 

"Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,804 AG
    Hoping for 8, 9 would be nice

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 18,232 AG
    edited August 2021 #20
    Used to be 8 hours but over the past five years or so I feel rested after anything more than 7.  I'm a sound sleeper and rarely if ever wake once asleep in bed.  

When I was a very young child, my mother used to drive around to put me to sleep and to this day I can zonk out in a car or a plane or a boat almost upon command.
  • tagtag Posts: 9,200 Admiral
    6 hours sleep. Any more than that is just being lazy 
  • gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 2,700 Captain
    I go to bed at 10, final email etc. checks, then read till 1 AM.  Usually up to whiz at ~5 AM, then quickly (usually) back to sleep till 9.  I'd like to go 11:30 or 12 till 7:30 or 8 but can't seem to break my natural balance.  Found lately that a bowl of ice cream shortly before lights out seems to help me sleep more soundly and for longer.
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,719 Captain
    Bit of an of insomniac. Never go to sleep before 1 and up at 6. Obviously both vary but rarely get more than 5 hours. I had heard the term “sleepless elite” before but apparently everyone has it. 
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 7,451 Admiral
    Any time I wake up alive the morning it has been a good night sleep 🤣

Jokes aside 6 hours it’s enough, but it depends on the season. I’m like an animal, as the sun rise I wake up (even if I am in totally obscured room)
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    No hope in herd immunity although we don't miss the sheep
    Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,308 AG
    in bed 10pm, sleeping by 1130, up at 3 because Ruby is either jumping up on the bed to nuzzle up to me or momma.  fall 1/2 way asleep til 6 or she starts licking my face which means it's potty time 
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
    Our poms go pee as soon as they get up.  The pug can wait an hour or two before going out to pee, I don't know how he does it .

Similarily, I probably drink up to 50oz of water in the evening.  I may pee before bed, but I never have to get up in the middle of the night.  My wife hates that.  She goes several times a night 
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,400 Captain
    I get 8 to 10 hours every night. your health depends on it and that is even more important these days. If you aren't getting enough you need to change something. You can't enjoy retirement if you aren't healthy.
  • altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 828 Officer
    Down at 11:30, up at 5:30, 6 days a week automatically, sleep til 7:00 on Sundays
    Been that way long as I remember.
  • FletchFletch Merritt Island, FLPosts: 2,526 Moderator
    Asleep between 8:30 to 9:00. Up somewhere around 4:30. Hit or miss on the pee break.
    "Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent, I'll probably waste..."
    -- Tug McGraw on getting a raise

Get Down Fishing Charters - Port Canaveral, Florida
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,977 Admiral
    Fletch said:
    Asleep between 8:30 to 9:00. Up somewhere around 4:30. Hit or miss on the pee break.
    That is my brothers routine. After a few beers he is zoned out by 8 up at 4 a.m.

I'm the exact opposite. My time is the nighttime till around 1 a.m. and I get up whenever I feel like it, usually around 10 a.m. but I spend a lot of those hours up and down going to the bathroom or reading because I can't go back to sleep.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 9,333 Admiral
    Usually go to bed between 1 and 2 am.  Get up at 6:30 am.