Home Off Topic

What's for lunch ...

2»

Replies

• FlashFlash Posts: 11,664 AG
    cadman said:
    Man, that Tomato pie was delicious. it is something I will make again. Simple and easy to make plus it tastes great. 

Glad you liked it. Lots of room to work around with it also, pepperonis, shrimp, chorizo, etc.  Sadly our tomato crop went south fairly quickly with the heat and rains, so didn't get as many as we normally do.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 15,993 AG
    ham n cheese again.  with cheetos.  i splurged last night on the way home and got a bottle of makers mark.   so now i gotta tighten the belt for the next week til payday.   
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • GardawgGardawg IslamoradaPosts: 12,885 AG
    Naan Bread
    Mustard
    Red Pepper
    Red Onion
    Smoked Gouda
    Ham
    Pickled Okra

"Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 3,069 Captain
    edited August 20 #35
    Tuna fish salad, ritz crackers, carrot sticks, honey dew and a small piece of apple pie. 

Today: PB&J, Fritos and the last piece of pie.

PS - Let me know if ya’ll want the recipes  ;)
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 10,531 AG
    I reheated some grits and threw some alligator pear (avocado for you yankees) on them. I didn't have any chedder so I melted down some pepper Jack cheese in the grits and the extra heat was a different but satisfying addition. I guess I went vegan in a sort of way. I ate a slim Jim afterwards for protein.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• OGFOGF Posts: 1,454 Officer
    Hey Conchy..

Does your wife cook lumpia?

I have a Filipina  relative and wow I love lumpia.
    Yes, we always have lumpia rolled and in the freezer. Sometimes when we are trying to figure out whats for supper, we will just pull some out and fry them up. She makes several different versions. The standard is Lumpia "shanghai", which is with the ground pork or beef with carrots, and onions and other stuff. She also makes a vegetable one and then  a sweet one with plantains and jackfruit in it called turon. 

― Ernest Hemingway

• 4drinkmin4drinkmin The BarPosts: 666 Officer
    Just watched a chef do that on Guy's grocery games. She was cute to.
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,692 Captain
    Flash said:

Tomato Pie

9 inch pie crust

4 Fresh medium-size tomatoes, cut into slices

¼ cup fresh basil, chopped

1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded

1 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded

½ cup mayonnaise

½ cup green onions

½ cup mushrooms

1 tbsp parsley, chopped

pepper to taste

Sausage, bacon, peppers can be added (pre-cook)

Preheat oven to 350º. Bake pie crust about 15 minutes. Sauté onion and mushrooms, in one tablespoon of butter until onions are translucent. Set aside. Mix together cheeses, mayonnaise, garlic and basil. Stir in cooled mushrooms and onions. Place tomatoes into pie crust, with the skin down. Spoon cheese mixture evenly over tomatoes. Sprinkle parsley and pepper on top. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until brown and bubbly.

Edit: Best to really dry the tomatoes out some on paper towel, otherwise they make crust too soggy. I place slices on paper towels and blot them several times with another paper towel. They sit out for 1.5 hours or so.

Flash what do you mean by place skin side down? If there are sliced the skin would be around the slices and I’m picturing putting the slices in flat. Wife and I have been doing meatless Mondays and want to try this out.

Same as most days a salad at home, also some homemade minestrone. I can’t do big heavy lunches and be super productive in the afternoon, we’ll except when hungover but I’m not usually being very productive anyways. 
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 4,567 Captain
    Conchy, does she make pancit? 
    edited August 20 #42
    She often makes pancit, two versions, actually three. Pancit Canton, Pancit Bihon and Palabok (my favorite).

― Ernest Hemingway

I used to have a Filipino engineer that used to whip up several types of pancit. It was a monster hit with all of the crews.
    Talking about Filipino food, my favorite dish is actually made out of beef (or pork) blood and pork intestines and/or pork meat and is called dinuguan. Sometimes they call it chocolate meat. When made properly it is fabulous.

― Ernest Hemingway

• wynnvwynnv Posts: 594 Officer
    Big Mak said:
    Conchy, does she make pancit? 
    I love pancit...I have made it sevral times but havent quite nailed it down yet. One of the guys I work with who is Filipino brings it into work when we have holiday lunches. I thought he made it himself but he actually he has a friend that does catering with Filipino food that he gets it from. It is much better than mine but I am still working on it.

Oh and the lumpia he makes is awesome.
    The chocolate meat was not one of my favorites, but he would eat the **** out of it 
    Kare Kare is oxtails (sometimes with tripe also) cooked in a peanut butter sauce. Lots of gringos like that one. Did you ever try that dish Mak?

― Ernest Hemingway

I've eaten the ox tails and tripe but don't know what it was called. The only dishes I didn't care for were balut and the blood meats. 
    I also couldn't understand Tagalog either when he was speaking it 
    Tagalog is a difficult language to learn. After 25+ years I still don't get all of it but know enough to understand when they are talking about me. I know Cuban Spanish better having grown up in Key West and working in Miami. 

― Ernest Hemingway

• FlashFlash Posts: 11,664 AG
    Flash said:

Tomato Pie

9 inch pie crust

4 Fresh medium-size tomatoes, cut into slices

¼ cup fresh basil, chopped

1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded

1 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded

½ cup mayonnaise

½ cup green onions

½ cup mushrooms

1 tbsp parsley, chopped

pepper to taste

Sausage, bacon, peppers can be added (pre-cook)

Preheat oven to 350º. Bake pie crust about 15 minutes. Sauté onion and mushrooms, in one tablespoon of butter until onions are translucent. Set aside. Mix together cheeses, mayonnaise, garlic and basil. Stir in cooled mushrooms and onions. Place tomatoes into pie crust, with the skin down. Spoon cheese mixture evenly over tomatoes. Sprinkle parsley and pepper on top. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until brown and bubbly.

Edit: Best to really dry the tomatoes out some on paper towel, otherwise they make crust too soggy. I place slices on paper towels and blot them several times with another paper towel. They sit out for 1.5 hours or so.

Flash what do you mean by place skin side down? If there are sliced the skin would be around the slices and I’m picturing putting the slices in flat. Wife and I have been doing meatless Mondays and want to try this out.

Same as most days a salad at home, also some homemade minestrone. I can’t do big heavy lunches and be super productive in the afternoon, we’ll except when hungover but I’m not usually being very productive anyways. 

Well some of us like the heel of the tomato included. That is the only skin side that would go down. But if you dried them out properly, you can probably pass on that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield