Home General Freshwater Fishing

Keeping Worms Alive

gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 2,349 Captain
I bought some red worms from a local place and figure on using them for Bluegill, etc.  With the storm coming in an' all, it's looking to be a while before I can get out there to play, so how to keep them alive and well for a time ??  Lady at the bait shop said "Do Not" put them in the refrigerator, they're FL worms that can handle the heat.  ???? 

During the day, I don't run the a/c and it gets up to 90 or so in here.  Seems to me that's gonna be tough on those worms.....??  A while back (April) I kept a container of night crawlers in the fridge for several weeks and they were still alive when I dumped them.  I was amazed - thought they'd be stinking.  I'd forgotten about them.

I did do a forum search and came up with nothing but live bait/live well procedures.

Replies

• altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 661 Officer
    The "lady" wants to sell you some more worms next week.

Try putting them in a smallish ice chest with a little ice. I think if you could keep them in 65/75 degree range they should last several days.

Let us know if it works.
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 1,020 Officer
    I think these are a candidate to start a hobby worm farm just get some compost(rabbit manure works good). Before you know it sustainable bait.
  • louislouis Posts: 71 Deckhand
    Personal size playmate in fridge or just do as i do worm cup with lid in fridge.  Most bait shops keep them under refridgeration.  
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 2,349 Captain
    louis said:
    Personal size playmate in fridge or just do as i do worm cup with lid in fridge.  Most bait shops keep them under refridgeration.  
    That's what I've always done in the long ago past....and will do it again.  Thanks.  It's been quite a few decades since I went thru this.
    Nooo....for as much of this as I figure on doing, no chance of a worm farm.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 10,557 AG
    Just release them into a good area in your yard where they may have a chance for survival and then go get some new ones when you’re ready to fish. Maybe after a while you can just dig around your yard and get all you need.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

Yard is pretty much white sand....or what seems like sand under a heavy carpet of Oak leaves..  Doubt worms would do too well there.  I did release the night crawlers into it to give them their chance and may yet do that with these.  Not a big deal and I doubt I'll go more than a few times, but would like to keep these going for a while at least.
  • Jstubby2Jstubby2 Lat -90 Long +90 👍Posts: 754 Officer
    Gittum, how did you make out with your stuff in NM? I've been out if the loop for a while.
    No AC, you a tuff man!
    Tuffer than hammered Owl s h i t.  Doesn't seem much point to it when I'm working outside.  I'll be soaked with sweat as if I'd gone swimming, then freeze when I come in for something.  When I'm done, come in and change t-shirt, turn on the a/c and relax for the evening.
    Jstubby2 said:
    Gittum, how did you make out with your stuff in NM? I've been out if the loop for a while.
    Thanks for the thought.  Facility there is charging me just $50/month for a 10x10x20 and same here is around $150.  I miss having some stuff and have replaced a few things, but can live without it a bit longer.  Paperwork is underway for my own place now and should move in next month.  Then I'll go get my stuff.
    Good sounds like you made a friend in NM, there are good people out there. Then maybe you can settle on in. Where is the new place. Roughly don't need GPS coordinates 😎. You might get a visit from Candy & company.
    On the worms thing, start a compost pile of old yard wast a little veggy trimmings & what ever else organic. I'd shy away from animal/food waste my dad would mix trimmings & fish scraps in the pile but it can get rancid pretty quick  the worms will be there before you know it & you'll have some good soil for your garden.
    Jstubby2 said:
    Good sounds like you made a friend in NM, there are good people out there. Then maybe you can settle on in. Where is the new place. Roughly don't need GPS coordinates 😎. You might get a visit from Candy & company.
    New place is in Hernando.....just about where I wanted to be.  Not quite what I'd wanted, but it'll work well.  It's much more central to the things I like to do.  My ol' Grampa liked to say:  "It's not what you want that you get the most of in this old world."

Others suggested raising worms as well and my answer is the same - just don't want to mess with it and I don't have a garden anyway....and don't plan on one.  My dog would prob'ly roll in them anyway.  I don't plan on much of that fishing.....but who knows - it might just grab my fancy.

Yesterday when the motor overheated, I was all set to go with my hand cut and cured 12 ft bamboo pole with 8 ft of 8# line and a #8 hook with pinched barb.  Catch and release only.  Maybe today.....??  Gotta get off'n my dead butt 1st.