Home Fly Fishing

Scents and your opinion.

BooBooBooBoo Vero Beach Fl and Ft. Lupton ColoradoPosts: 200 Deckhand
Just wondering how folks here feel about the use of scents on a fly? Why or why not? 

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,448 Captain
    Nope… not needed or wanted… Remember, fly fishing is mostly a visual proposition… Are there conditions when there’s no point in using the long rod ( waters too muddy, fish holding too deep, etc.) -oh yeah.

For me, fly fishing is just one more way to go about it.  I’m perfectly comfortable with spin, plug casting or even conventional gear.  Lures, bait, whatever works best that day.

Working up shallow there are times when the fly will outfish any other gear.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • JWTJWT Posts: 781 Officer
    no - just use bait if it comes to that. 
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 531 Officer
    Scents work - if you want a little extra for reds or black drum, a drop of shrimp or crab scent will help.
  • sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 655 Officer
    edited August 6 #5

The "sport" of fly fishing comes with only 3 basic rules. 

1. no chumming or scents
    2. no use of lures
    3. class tippet restrictions on the fly leader

There are no umpires or judges to enforce them. They are, basically, chosen handicaps to make fish catching more difficult, more artistic, and more beautiful. 

Each angler choses which, or none of them she wants to follow.

Personally, I disregard leader and tippet restrictions. For me, fishing is about convincing a fish to bite an exotic object. I don't really care much about the "art" of fighting and reeling a fish in. I don't think it requires much skill, though I am certain Andy Mills would disagree with me. I think "bowing to the King" is archaic mythology. I fished with a guide in Key West who thought using heavier leader is a barbaric form of cheating. He fired me.

If you catch two fish with one fly, it is probably somewhat "scented" at that point. I wouldn't ever scent a fly on purpose, because i think what makes fly fishing cool is tricking a fish into biting a silly thing because you tease it so brilliantly. But I wouldn't wash a fly of scent, either.

I would never use a fly that is made of rubber and acrylic. That's a lure. Not fly fishing.

I follow rules 1 and 2, and ignore 3.

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

• BooBooBooBoo Vero Beach Fl and Ft. Lupton ColoradoPosts: 200 Deckhand
    Great response sunflower. Your passion for the sport shows through. 

I would never use a fly that is made of rubber and acrylic. That's a lure. Not fly 

Ha! You beat me too it sunflower. This was going to be the second question I posted. At what point, in your opinion, does it become a lure and not a fly. BTW… I ask these things for two reasons…

1. This forum has been fairly dead as of late.
    2. To provoke a little thought and share opinions. 
    On the matters of scents and fly vs lure, my personal feelings are, I don’t know there is a right or wrong answer. Just what the user is comfortable with. I don’t see either as an “ethical” type issue. 
    Must disagree about chumming fish into a feeding mood and note that many many world records have been set that way… I have no quarrel with anyone who chooses not to use chum but will use it for myself and my customers whenever appropriate.

It should be noted that not one single big shark that I know about would ever been taken on fly without using chum or teasing.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • RennieRaeRennieRae Posts: 782 Officer
    sunflower said:

If you catch two fish with one fly, it is probably somewhat "scented" at that point. 

Ha!  That is a good point Sunflower. 

I don't use artificial scents but I would be lying if I said I have not "accidentally" rubbed my fly on the side of a ladyfish that I caught while working the mangroves for snook on occasion ;) 
    Bob 

17 ft. Ankona Native with 40 hp Suzuki 4 stroke 
    edited August 6 #10

Dear Captain LeMay,

you are right and I am wrong! That's why you are a famous captain and I am a doctor ...

I thought it was illegal to chum- but only illegal to "chum with mammals." I guess I have to stop dicing up those kittens to fire up the tarpon!

Mark

• tarpon41tarpon41 Posts: 283 Deckhand
    The purity of essence is total handicap...that is fly fishing for fish.  Chumming or teasing is not total handicap.  IGFA has to balance commercial economics with  the handicap, art form of flyfishing...it's absurd to allow barracuda chumming for sharks but not any mammal ...that's for the protection of mammalian **** sapiens don't want to give shark a taste of analogous south beach mammals...
    edited August 7 #12
    Just to give you a taste of how things have evolved over the years.... From way back when anglers were first chasing bonefish with bamboo fly rods right after WWII.... Joe Brooks wrote the first magazine articles about fishing the salt with a fly rod - then the first books right after the war... One of his fishing partners was Harry Friedman - and I got to meet him towards the end of his days - 30 years later.  He was one of the founding members of the Miami Beach Rod and Reel Club and a great fly angler.  I was lucky enough to get a few tips from him - and my very first bonefish was taken on a pattern Harry showed me how to tie... You can still see Harry's photo in those early books from Joe (back when catching -and killing) a dozen big bonefish on fly was a regular occurrence right out of Key Biscayne.. .

Here's the best part... Harry's proudest fishing achievement with a fly rod was a 72 lb tarpon on 12lb tippet... At first I didn't think that was anything special - until I learned that back then - they thought using a bite tippet (a heavier trace between fly and tippet ) was not sporting... Can you imagine how many tarpon he had to hook and fight to be able to get one that big without a bite tippet?  Nowadays many call that bite tippet a shock tippet - and we routinely use an 80lb bite tippet fishing big tarpon in the 'glades (and more than a few will wear through it during the fight...). Just thinking about trying to catch a baby tarpon on only a 12lb tippet.... has me doubting that any of my anglers would succeed, given the abrasive mouth every tarpon comes equipped with... 

Like I said our sport has evolved over the years... and probably will continue to evolve.. 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    "From way back when anglers were first chasing bonefish with bamboo fly rods right after WWII.."  It was way back but not that far back the 80s...late Ivan Neymour holding my North Bight Andros, bamboo bonefish...two piece  Orvis Wes Wes Jordan 8' 7wt  stated 8lb mono leader...got 12 that day with the banboo

That’s “old school” enough for me… Great day, great memory.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • ClamfootClamfoot ChuluotaPosts: 56 Deckhand
    I am neither a Capt or a Dr....but I have put my fair share of meat on the deck.

I don't knock anyone who uses most any technique. You never know who NEEDS a meal. I'd rather spend my early morning making 20 pretty casts (out of 50)  and not catch a darn thing, than pick up that spinning gear 3ft away on the gunwhale and hook some meat.

I'm not a meat fisherman anymore most because I don't have to be. I don't really take pics of my catches and certainly don't post pics of any catches. Straight pleasure fishing. I fish and tie as a purely selfish pleasure.

I don't expect most Capt's have that pleasure every time they go out. They are running a fishing business.

But....Other than Captians paying the bills,  I can't understand why someone would add scent or chum when fly fishing. I'm not judging, I just don't understand it, in the same way I don't understand little girls or people who spend excessive time playing video games or people who post anything on Facebook. I just don't get it....

If you want to use scent then use it, but what's your goal?

If you need fish (subsistence) or really want fish (Capt), there are more effective ways to fish.

If you need people to see you fishing with a fly rod, or the validation of others by showing people pics of the fish you caught on your fly rod and you had to scent or chum to do it you might want to rethink why you're doing what you are doing. Rethink it for your own good. No one else should care and you shouldn't care if they do. 

P.s Sunflower is a kitten chopper? You just never know some people.

The good Lord came to save liars and sinners, that’s why he started with 4 fishermen
  • kayakerinkeywestkayakerinkeywest Posts: 631 Officer
    edited August 8 #16
    Being a fly purist is just an excuse for not catching anything.  That and spending a lot of money to look elite.  It is fun though especially if you are doing alot of catching using other methods and want to slow things down a bit.  However, fly is the most beneficial in certain circumstances so if you are just into fishing, it is definitely a good option to delve into.

I just bought a $25 fly rod combo off Amazon.  Came with fly rod, reel, floating line, tapered leader, and three ugly dry flies.  Using it specifically to catch Ballyhoo for bait.  The problem during summer on the reef is all of the Chubs, Blue Runners, and Hard Tails that will crowd the chum bag and push the Ballyhoo so far back that you can't hit them with a cast net and they are too skittish to run a bobber or throw a weighted sabiki.  The fly rod with a #12 gold bait hook tipped with a little squid nails them out to 15'+.  Makes easy work out of them.  I did try some tiny flies, but the Hard Tails kept wacking them and breaking the leader.  Works great regardless of fly fishing or not. 

Youtube - KEY WEST KAYAK FISHING https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkGY6yxE8kogYHKXisMhA2w
    All About The Bait Store - http://www.allaboutthebait.com/
    Kayaker
    Huh?

"Being a fly purist is just an excuse for not catching anything.  That and spending a lot of money to look elite"

So by your judgement purists who prefer fly fishing don't catch fish. By extension only non-purests with 25 dollar rods catch fish (bait) on a fly rod and everyone else who fly fishes is an elitest.

You're not an elitest because someone showed you how to crank in a fish that ate it's natural food that you happened to put a hook in and the fish was unlucky enough to eat it. All that after you spotted it on your $2000 electronic fish finder. That is a finely honed skill set that you should be proud of man. You might want to Google "skillset"

I heard there is a good dynamite fishing forum on Facebook you can join or maybe the roadkill hunters forum is more your elite sporting level.

Keep that open mind and learning spirit buddy.

But the subject did ask for opinions. Opinions are like rear ends. Everyone has one and everyone's except your own stinks....

Officer?  really?
    Credibility man, credibility.....
    The good Lord came to save liars and sinners, that’s why he started with 4 fishermen
    LOL.  Should I add sensitive to the purist description.

To make it easier for you to understand.

There is fishing and then there is catching.  For most fly fishing purists, catching is not the priority.  The attempt to do it in a specific manner using specific tools in a specific environment is what is most important.  For most fisherman, the priority is catching.  How the fish is caught is not so important, which is how a Billion dollar industry is supported.  Live bait, dead baits, artificials, casting, spinning, trolling, hand line, deep dropping, etc.  Whatever gets you the best chance of catching, then that is what dictates gear and bait selections.  Advertise a sure thing lure, and fisherman will line up to buy it.

For example, if you held a fishing tournament where everything is wide open.  You have two anglers with equal experience.  One is a fly only purist and the other is a whatever works best angler.  And yes, I understand there are those few times where a fly will give you a better chance at catching, but then the anything goes angler is going to be throwing fly as well as that is best for the situation.  Who is going to win most of the time.  Right.  Because catching is more of a priority than fishing.  Now before you get too upset.  I doubt the purist fly fisherman is going to really care if they win or lose, because again, their priority is generally not catching the most or the biggest, but how they attempted/caught their fish.  

I fly fish but I don't find it any more difficult than any other style of fishing.  But again, my priority is learning as much as possible about everything involved in regards to fishing.  That is what drives my passion.  And also what makes fly fishing not that much more of a challenge than any other technique.

What does give me humor is the amount of money the purists will drop.  Thousands of dollars for rods and reels that are ancient technology, same with clothing, and then hiring an expensive guide that will chauffer them to the highest chance spot, spend a lot of time pointing out fish that they never see, and telling them exactly where to cast and when to set the hook.  And to many, that is a pure form of fly fishing.  That versus someone who is going to go out and put in the work to find the spots, to learn patterns, to learn to see the fish, to fine tune the presentation.  

I doubt that there are very many top tier fly fisherman who reached that plateau by being fly only.  Most learned how to do the things I mentioned before then transitioned to fly.  

So again, fly fishing is not the most effective way to catch fish, but it is a specific technique that many people enjoy because of its technical aspect over that of just fishing to catch.  Do what brings you joy.

Youtube - KEY WEST KAYAK FISHING https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkGY6yxE8kogYHKXisMhA2w
    And for the original poster.  It seems that you are new to fly fishing and possibly fishing in general.  In regards to fly fishing, make sure you understand the generalities of just fishing, like understanding migration patterns, bait patterns, current, depth, moon phases, wind, etc are extremely important as well.  In regards to fly fishing, the main part is learning the basics of casting, but secondly would be how to handle it when the fish bites, how to set the hook, how to play the fish, and how to land the fish.  While casting you can do the basics anywhere, hooking and landing a fish is hard to simulate so the best thing to do is to just go out and catch whatever you can, however you can.  So in regards to your question about scents or baits or whatever, don't go all high horse until you learn the basics.  If scents are going to get your rod bent, then do it.  As you work through that, and you are catching your target species, then back down to the purist model.  The worst thing you can do is, start up, get frustrated, then quit.  Which happens a lot.  Catching will keep you motivated so keep that in the mixture.  

Thanks for the advice.  ;)

Oh, heck yeah!
    Once you get the tarpon fired up with a nice chumline of diced kittens (the orange ones work best), you just put a whole one on a hook and wait for the action!

PS: Kayakerinkeywest, most people are bankfishermenonariverinohio.
    They are never going to get the chance to find their own locations and techniques to catch tarpon, bonefish, permit, or even jacks and ladyfish and stuff. They are maybe if they are lucky going to get ten trips in their life to get a shot at those amazing fisheries. Don't begrudge them the guide. And the pretty clothes! What's the point of catching a fish if you don't look pretty in the pictures on Facebook?!?!?

Mark

BooBoo

Don't let all of that "fly fishing is elitists" BS put you off. I'm sure you've read the regular posters on this forum and have found a bunch of friendly and intelligent people who are not out to pee on your enthusiasm or discourage your interest in the sport. As a matter of fact, they will be encouraging with one notable exception. 

I haven't found any "elitists" here 

I don't assume that you are new to fishing or fly fishing. I expect that you are a pretty good fisherman who is looking to improve, like all of us. That's probably why you posted 190 times on this site.  

Thanks for heating up the board....... 

I agree with your and Capt Bob's sentiments. "I don’t know there is a right or wrong answer. Just what the user is comfortable with. I don’t see either as an “ethical” type issue". if you want to use scent and/or chum and that gets you where you need to be, then do it.

I have scent on the boat but it's really old. I have used it when fishing lures in the dirty dirty water of the lagoon. But I have not used my lures and spinning gear in a very long time. That's just where I am now.  I don't see me putting it on a fly or spiking the water with it any time soon.

Kayak.

What does give me humor is the amount of money the purists will drop.  Thousands of dollars for rods and reels that are ancient technology, same with clothing, and then hiring an expensive guide that will chauffer them to the highest chance spot, spend a lot of time pointing out fish that they never see, and telling them exactly where to cast and when to set the hook.  And to many, that is a pure form of fly fishing.  That versus someone who is going to go out and put in the work to find the spots, to learn patterns, to learn to see the fish, to fine tune the presentation.  

That's a sad outlook man. I hope you find some peace in you life and drop all that jealousy and hate. 

How did you get so damaged that all you see is what other people do with their money and bitterly grumble about it as opposed to seeing the person, their passion, or see and respect the highly trained guide who has put in his time building his business? A hard business where he/she has to be good to survive. 

In as far as 1000s of dollars. I don't know what you're talking about. I've got maybe 800 bucks in fly fishing gear, about the same amount that I had in conventional and spinning gear when I fished like that. I don't own special fly fishing clothes, I fish from my own used 1996 skiff most every week and put in time tying my own flies. I've never hired a guide but will for the first time this winter while on vacation. I'll only be there a week so learning the waters and patterns is not an option. I'm happy to do business with a guide who can teach me something new and maybe improve my process. I don't consider him my chauffeur. guide/angler is a team. 

Most fly fishermen that I know and fish with are just like me. Hard-working, normal people who are passionate purists about a thing. They are kind of mellow happy guys too.     

Mark.

You are damaged goods man.....
    Instead of trying to make a personal attack which is sad and ineffective, think big picture.  Just like with the fishing, my perspective is take a look at everything involved rather than narrow focus.  To be honest, fly fishing has an image problem.  It is that elitist attitude that turns off basic Joe fisherman to the idea of fly fishing.  If you are interested in growing the sport which is pretty stagnant, probably need to take a look at what is driving that lack of interest.  Just like when people talk about how it is not possible for average Joe fisherman to fish the Keys, I take exception to counter that mentality to make sure that inquiring people understand that there are many levels of visiting the Keys and doing it on a budget is totally possible.  Same with the tv shows and running half a million dollar boats, a second boat full of professional local guides showing where the bait is, the migration is happening, the time the bite is turning on, all behind the scenes with all of the high end (we can afford to advertise on a major tv show) equipment being pushed every other fish.  It gives off that same, you can't do it unless you are a top tier fisherman on a top tier boat with a live well full of cash.  Its rubbish.  And I spend a lot of time breaking down the realities of all that stuff being for show and you can do the same thing with your average Joe boat and average Joe fishing skills.  

So when I see these kinds of posts I will offset that "you have to do it this way" to make sure there is an off setting, no, if you want to be in a certain club you might, but you can also join the club of just fishing for the sake of fishing fun with the focus of making sure that the beginner person has good experiences and keeps with it.  

Back to the original poster and his inquiry, again, a big risk about fly fishing is that it is hard.  That is on top of fishing in general being hard.  Then on top of that adding any more "requirements", makes it really really hard.  Yes, there are people who have the ability to spend a month or longer whipping a fly and having no luck but will still keep on trying.  But the average Joe fisherman is probably not.  So don't feel any pressure to conform and just learn to catch in whatever way you have to that keeps it fun.  Chum, use scent, tip your fly, whatever.  As you catch and learn, then ween yourself off if that is priority for you.  Your not in some sort of tournament or contest.  It is about fishing and what brings you joy.

"That versus someone who is going to go out and put in the work to find the spots, to learn patterns, to learn to see the fish, to fine tune the presentation."    Yak as you do... your commercial site belies your posts...you chastise us oldster purists whilst you tool around Marathon in a motorized, outrigger yak festooned with enough conventional gear to rival a Bass Pro Tournament angler.  I'm old enough to remember 1950 sittin on the bank of mud lake with my father and cooked dough balls...then my bay boats Goodland and Marathon conventional gear...still Bluewater my conventional gear Baja Sur but still, also, flyfishing in my 8th decade, it's standing on the casting deck of my guide's Maverick with a Method  and an Abel site fishing for Permit, Bonefish and Tarpon everything else gets a pass.  It's flats, site fishing and catching any of those three by any method other than IGFA flyrod specs is kissing your  sister; it's reel easy... As for pictures...the late great Cordell Baum aka Bonefishwhisperer who polled the westside of Biscayne in a un-motorized square back canoe...said the picture of the flyrod caught bonefish in front of his face was proof that he was not just on the water with a story. 

Clamfoot said:
    Mark.

You are damaged goods man.....

You don't follow his posts much,,, he just hooked you with facetious and sarcastic, virtual, live bait.  His posts suggest he's the antithesis of a feline hater.

As for Yak your comment...
    "To be honest, fly fishing has an image problem.  It is that elitist attitude that turns off basic Joe fisherman to the idea of fly fishing.  If you are interested in growing the sport which is pretty stagnant, probably need to take a look at what is driving that lack of interest."  Is without any factual basis and contrary to national and international, business reality. 

I'm an elitist flats flyfisherman mainly in the lower Keys and the last thing I want are more people futzing and put-zing around the flats in a motorized, outrigger yak with gear and bait...bait the channels for eats fine...

• AlwaysLearningMoreAlwaysLearningMore Posts: 195 Deckhand
    Short answer:  if you want to try scenting your fly, do it.  It's not illegal and not unethical.  Most fly fishermen don't do it, but that's because it's their preference.  Heck, we all have preferences.  I sometimes strike with the rod instead of strip striking!!! Gasp!!!  But that's my preference sometimes.  Or maybe I just get excited and forget.

In saltwater where I fish (SW Florida) there are relatively few fishing scenarios where fly tackle is the most efficient way to catch the target fish.  But I still fly fish quite a bit because in many situations I would rather catch that fish on fly if I can.    Which means that I am usually intentionally handicapping myself when I choose to fly fish.  But the same can be said of pretty much any recreational fishing tackle.  By the way, over the years I have taken fish by bowfishing, spearfishing, gigging, snagging, cast netting, seining and, true story, I have taken fish by hitting them in the head with rocks and stunning them.   I just get more kicks out of fly fishing in lots of scenarios.

It's all about the level of handicap you are willing to endure, or what you enjoy.  I think that's the bottom line, it's what you enjoy doing.  I like to fly fish, but that doesn't keep me from enjoying that thump when a grouper slurps my live bait 100 feet down on conventional tackle.  It might be possible to dredge that grouper via bombing a sinking fly line down 100 feet, but I wouldn't enjoy that so I don't do it.  But someone somewhere does so because they enjoy it.  That's cool.

Do what makes you smile.
    Great post alwayslearningmore!
    edited August 10 #28
    Clamfoot, you are correct sir. I’ve been fishing since I was in diapers. Hope to be fishing when I get back to wearing diapers again. Had a fly rod since about 10. The biggest thing that has changed for me a few years ago is saltwater. But, thanks to many of the folks on this forum, my learning curve has been a real joy!  Several months ago, I decided to up my fly fishing game. I took sunflowers advice on a TFO Mangrove. Couldn’t be happier. Got great feedback and tips from troutbom and several others here. Capt. Lemay knocks it out of the park with his history and solid info. 
    As I type this, my wife and I are on a high country Colorado lake. We are fishing with bait….gasp…. I want to take home a few 18-20 inch rainbows. They eat sooo good. My wife only fishes with bait. So far she has two on the stringer… me….zero!
    At first light, I will be hip deep in water with a 6 wt Fenwick I bought my mother when I was a teen. It has a dandy old pfluger medalist on it. I’ll be trying to land a #18 humpy just right to go tight with a fat cut, rainbow, or brown. Nothing elite about me. Just really enjoy fishing and learning more about fishing in many forms. 
    When you are through learning… you are through. 
    BooBoo.
    I guess we all have the relatively same story just in different places.
    If you fish young and love it you generally do it for life no matter where life takes you. 
    It's great that your wife also fishes. 

Good luck in CO. 
    And yes Capt Bob, Mark, and the group here are all great.  

For me, spent summers as a little kid at my grandfather's house on the Great South Bay on Long Island.
    By 12 I was getting knocked on my butt in the surf in under the light at Montauk with a rod that was twice as tall as I was. My fate was sealed.
    I never really got the sweetwater bug but I'm working on that now.
    After high school, for about a year I attempted to fly fish for trout in the one and only accessible trout stream on Long Island. The access point was behind an "adult entertainment establishment" so there was strong motivation to fish in the evening and get off the water when things weren't working.  :)   As you can imagine I didn't learn that much about fly fishing for trout that year. 

Have a great trip