Home General Hunting

3D view of woods…????

Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,755 Moderator
So last week I was messing around in either Google maps or Bay County property appraisers site, not sure which one.  Anyway, there was an option to use a feature that was very similar to google street view, but not quite the good.  I was able to pick out individual trees as though you were looking at woods almost like in person.  Heck, I even saw a ladder stand of mine.  360 views and i could look anywhere.  

Now I can’t find the feature.  It was called something kinda gimmicky like Pana-view, or World vision.  Something like that.  Not the 3D feature that you see in lower right corner of Google maps in conjunction with “globe”.  It was way better than that.  
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"

Replies

• bswivbswiv Posts: 8,178 Admiral
    That was MEAN......post something like that, something that would be FUN!!!.....and then not only do you not have the site address but also you want us to find it again for you?!?!?!?!?!

Good Scotch will do that to a man!!!
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,755 Moderator
    Yeah.  Very frustrating.  No idea what site it was on or where feature was.  Had to be either Google maps or Property appraiser site, though.  Those pretty much all I ever use.  
    Ha!   Got it.  

So, for at least Bay County (not sure about other appraiser sites) you need to click on a parcel.  Once it’s highlighted you can click “Imagery” in upper right corner.  It then takes you to the view I was describing.  Labeled Pictomerty    
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,086 Captain
    Google Earth has that.  I think its call ground level view

• josh_scott84josh_scott84 Palm HarborPosts: 858 Officer
  • OGBOHICAOGBOHICA floridaPosts: 603 Officer
    Hope they cant see my cover crop
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,086 Captain
    Dang thats cool Pan   Have to look for it
  • WildManWildMan Posts: 275 Deckhand
    Technology these days is pretty impressive (and scary).  Another that will be useful as it becomes more available and usable to the public will be Lidar data which can be used to determine elevations down to 4 inches and can even be used to determine heights of overstory, midstory, and ground cover vegetation.  Lidar data is available for most of FL (primarily from WMDs) and while available to the public it is still pretty complicated to use and generally requires GIS software, but Google is starting to incorporate some of that data into maps.
    WildMan said:
    Technology these days is pretty impressive (and scary).  Another that will be useful as it becomes more available and usable to the public will be Lidar data which can be used to determine elevations down to 4 inches and can even be used to determine heights of overstory, midstory, and ground cover vegetation.  Lidar data is available for most of FL (primarily from WMDs) and while available to the public it is still pretty complicated to use and generally requires GIS software, but Google is starting to incorporate some of that data into maps.
    Yeah, i tried looking into that a couple years back and got bogged down.  A lot of data downloading / converting / program install if I recall.  I know it’s out there though and for some applications would be super helpful.  
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,261 Captain
    Amazing technology.
    I can zoom in and see my fire pit at camp.

Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink