Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Mahi Maiden Voyage

This summer I made the jump from Tiny Tim to my “new to me” Bluewater 2550. I’ve done some fishing and snorkeling near shore but today was the first day going out with it. Seas were a steep 2ft. 
Took my Uncle For his first trip aboard the boat. We trolled from PE to Hillsboro working 100-300 clean water and no fish. We pulled up at 9:30 and started heading out. 
Been hearing a lot of reports that the fish were out 1500-2000 feet. Figured we’d run and gun but remained doubtful that we’d find birds as they have been scarce this summer. I saw the first set of birds at the 56 line. They were on blank ocean…Zzzzz. Three out of 4 lines went down. And we got one of them. Trolled the area for 20 minutes, pulled up and ran again. Was heading 160ish around 17 knots. Found a bird diving. Turned into three birds and we hooked fish before we reached them. One fish in the box released the other. Make it to the birds. Two down again. We land them. The third fish hit the flat line as I retrieve, it was a nice fish had the bullhead on him. Probably near the 15lb size. He let go and swam parallel to the boat so I could stare at him as he was staring at me. Uncle says “let’s do it again”. We pick up and ran to the 51 line and I saw one bird and the weeds got a tad thicker though widely scattered. I put out three lines and all three lines get hit the second they are all set. Fish jumping everywhere. Even caught two fish on one double hook. We trolled the 51 and 52 south for about an hour. We caught 4 loners. They were likely legal but we released all of them. Picked up two peanuts on our flatlines.uncle said he was tired and to start working in. Headed 220 and at the 53 line saw one bird out in the distance. One bird turned into 20 birds and a frigate. They were working a football field size area. Every pass we made we hooked dolphin. We made 4 passes. Caught a few more but only kept one. My uncle begged me to head in because he was tired of catching fish. 
Been out on my bro in laws boat a few days this summer (taking out clients) and we’ve caught a few dolphin here and there but this was by far the best day I’ve ever had out of port Everglades as far as catching  fish in numbers. We fished only until 12:50. The deepest we went on the depth finder was 999. Ironic. Two of the fish today were every bit of 10 pounds. All fish were not close to needing measured. Nice to see the ocean finally be alive for once. 

Replies