Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

crescent area tips?

Headed to Crescent Beach in a few days with the fam, since my son and I generally hate the beach and most "beach stuff" we're going fishing.   The Matanzas River inlet/bridge looks about 5 miles away from our hotel, the 206 bridge crosses the river a few blocks away from the hotel.

Any tips for some good shoreline fishing in this area?  Are fish more active on incoming or outgoing tides?

Replies

• bswivbswiv Posts: 8,162 Admiral
    Hopefully someone who's got more experience there than I will chime in but extrapolating from 45+ years fishing St. Augustine Inlet and the Intracoastal north of there, plus the 12-15 times we've fished Matanzas ( Always by boat. ) my recommendation would be last of the out going and first of the incoming..........but........to make things complicated.......a flood high at sunrise has it's benefits.

So there you go.......nothing helpful :(
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,581 Captain
    Drop some shrimp right on the pilings , which is really only practical at slack tide.
    Ride out to rattlesnake early morning. Go for a walk and pitch some jigs.
    South side of the bridge always has produced better for us.
    Dont bother on the north side flats. I’m sure there are times they produce but largely a waste of time.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,162 Admiral
    4WARD said:
    Drop some shrimp right on the pilings , which is really only practical at slack tide.
    Ride out to rattlesnake early morning. Go for a walk and pitch some jigs.
    South side of the bridge always has produced better for us.
    Dont bother on the north side flats. I’m sure there are times they produce but largely a waste of time.
    And then it's also possible that at lower tides if you do pay attention to the "north side flats"........your wife will catch you!
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,581 Captain
    Yes, that is certainly possible.
    After 26 years, it is largely ignored. Still gotta be careful though.😉

"I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • ivnivn gvillePosts: 126 Deckhand
    Went and got mostly skunked.   And rained on.

First, i *really* need to practice throwing my cast net.  A lot.

Monday eve, had a hard time seeing bait but managed to get a couple finger mullet, and then proceeded to catch nothing over several hours.  Other fishermen coming in reported similar or single catches of a jack or stingray, etc.  Tide was later part of incoming tide, I was just north of the ramp down to the sand on the north parking area.

Tuesday, again had issues getting bait but did manage a couple plus an almost edible sized mullet which became cut bait.  Otherwise got skunked and rained on really heavy.   Tide was mostly out.  Went back later in day, tide was on first half of incoming, got noting and got rained on a second time.  

Wednesday - issues catching bait but did have half of my bigger mullet from previous, and did manage to get a few finger mullet as well.   The live mullet didn't do much although something chomped on one and cut my line clean through without even making my rod twitch.  Cut mullet had the same happen twice and then I got Something Big on it that snapped my line above the swivel/weight after a minute of fighting.  Otherwise nothing.  Guy next to me caught a 13" flounder, someone else about 100 yards away caught a dinner plate sized ray/skate.  One guy leaving mentioned a couple of jacks he got around dawn...

Lessons learned - time to spend a little more $ and go over gear and do some maintenance work, restock tackle, pick up an artificial or two, and get better at throwing the cast net.  A net with a finer mesh wouldn't hurt either.
  • Drift TideDrift Tide Posts: 187 Deckhand
    Do an internet search for "steve crowder easiest way to throw cast net" and watch his video, best way I've seen.