Home Fly Fishing

Instructor in Broward

Ryan91027Ryan91027 Posts: 124 Deckhand
I am newer to fly fishing, but have been hooked ever since my first peacock. Is there anyone in or near Broward county that would help teach and correct my fly casting?

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,284 Moderator
    Drive to Dania and talk to the sales people in the Fly Dept at BPS.  They might be able to do it themselves or send you in the right direction
  • limitlesslimitless Posts: 707 Officer
    Another thing you may want to look at are the Orvis Fly schools in south FL.

The Snook & Gamefish Foundation is now the Angler Action Program: http://angleractionfoundation.com/  Dedicated to Conservation and Education.  Please check us out.

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,418 Captain
    Whenever I'm asked about learning to fly fish I usually point them to one of the local fly shops as a great starting point to find out who they'd recommend.... The Fly Shop of Miami or Old Florida up in Boca... We used to have a club or two locally that had instructors but they're no longer around.... Lefty Kreh's early books (Flyfishing in Saltwaters was my bible about 45 years ago...) are always recommended by me... 

What you don't want to do is book a fly fishing trip until you've mastered the basics since all that does is turn into an expensive teaching session... Good luck and let us know if you find a good instructor.  I teach a bit - but would never consider myself a fly casting instructor... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 648 Officer

There are also lots of good decent videos on YouTube.
    In particular, I like the "Bahamian-style" casting ... which is basically about power into the wind.
    Those techniques are more useful in Florida than the classic, feet-together, high-rod river-styles.

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...