Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

Squid Fishing

RevJoeyFitzRevJoeyFitz North FLPosts: 155 Deckhand
I was wondering if anyone has done any fishing for squid in our area? Was just curious and really feeling some calamari 😏

Any info is greatly appreciated 

Replies

• bswivbswiv Posts: 8,178 Admiral
    I was wondering if anyone has done any fishing for squid in our area? Was just curious and really feeling some calamari 😏

Way back.....as in 30 years!!!......we caught a few at night while out on a August Full Moon Mangrove Catching expedition.  Only a few......6-8......but we were not set up for them. Not that I know exactly how to set up for them!

We used a tribble hook with bait......or maybe we had 2 or 3 on droppers......just do not remember.

If you go I want to know where and when you'll be back so I can hold you up and steal some of what you catch!!!

I would add this.

In addition to the little roundish squid that we catch now and again inshore in the cast nets at night and which is the primary squid caught on the near-shore shrimpers, there is a more typical looking squid that we'd get off of the rockshrimp boats. Those would often times be large, a foot or more. Both are very good eating.

Now that you've broached the idea I'm going to have to make a call or two.........as I am hungry!!
  • dixiedaddixiedad Posts: 392 Deckhand
    Years ago i had a big squid, maybe 14 or 15 inches, attack a bluefish i was slow trolling. This thing was super aggressive and chased the blue all over and back to the boat when i tried to get shed of him. It would latch onto the blue and bite little round holes in it. I tried to dip him up at side of the boat but he slipped through the net. Weird.  
  • RevJoeyFitzRevJoeyFitz North FLPosts: 155 Deckhand
    bswiv said:

Way back.....as in 30 years!!!......we caught a few at night while out on a August Full Moon Mangrove Catching expedition.  Only a few......6-8......but we were not set up for them. Not that I know exactly how to set up for them!

We used a tribble hook with bait......or maybe we had 2 or 3 on droppers......just do not remember.

If you go I want to know where and when you'll be back so I can hold you up and steal some of what you catch!!!

I would add this.

In addition to the little roundish squid that we catch now and again inshore in the cast nets at night and which is the primary squid caught on the near-shore shrimpers, there is a more typical looking squid that we'd get off of the rockshrimp boats. Those would often times be large, a foot or more. Both are very good eating.

Now that you've broached the idea I'm going to have to make a call or two.........as I am hungry!!
    A foot or so?!? That’d be awesome. I’ve seen some videos of guys catching them off of piers in the gulf. It’s something I’m going to have to try a few times 
    bswiv said:

I would add this.

A foot or so?!? That’d be awesome. I’ve seen some videos of guys catching them off of piers in the gulf. It’s something I’m going to have to try a few times 
    I'll do some "up to date" research with friends who still own fish houses and still unload shrimp boats to see what can be learned. But.......if any of it proves useful, and you end up catching a pile, it's going to cost you a couple of three pounds..............
    bswiv said:
    bswiv said:

I would add this.

I'll do some "up to date" research with friends who still own fish houses and still unload shrimp boats to see what can be learned. But.......if any of it proves useful, and you end up catching a pile, it's going to cost you a couple of three pounds..............
    If it happens, we’ll figure out a way to make it happen 😜
    bswiv said:
    bswiv said:

I would add this.

Spoke to a couple of folks this morning in regards to the squid. Unfortunately what we all know is from commercial shrimp boats, both those fishing inshore and those fishing out for rockshrimp and hoppers.

Inshore what we all remember catching the most of ( in nets ) are the small cuttlefish which hardly ever get over about 4- inches or so. Really good eating......but small and how to target? Also.....almost always more and larger late in the year.

The other squid is what would show up in the nets when dragging for rockshrimp & hoppers. These can get quite large, a foot or more and they are what many of us have now and again caught one or two of maybe a few more of at night. Very good to eat also. 

In discussing it it seems reasonable that if you were to get a hand full of the squid jigs and have a go at it at night out along the break or even on the rolldown ( They are closer too, but maybe not so numerous? ).......with a lot of light off the boat.......you would be a trailblazer!

Pictures when you do it!

bswiv said:
    bswiv said:
    bswiv said:

I would add this.

Spoke to a couple of folks this morning in regards to the squid. Unfortunately what we all know is from commercial shrimp boats, both those fishing inshore and those fishing out for rockshrimp and hoppers.

Inshore what we all remember catching the most of ( in nets ) are the small cuttlefish which hardly ever get over about 4- inches or so. Really good eating......but small and how to target? Also.....almost always more and larger late in the year.

The other squid is what would show up in the nets when dragging for rockshrimp & hoppers. These can get quite large, a foot or more and they are what many of us have now and again caught one or two of maybe a few more of at night. Very good to eat also. 

In discussing it it seems reasonable that if you were to get a hand full of the squid jigs and have a go at it at night out along the break or even on the rolldown ( They are closer too, but maybe not so numerous? ).......with a lot of light off the boat.......you would be a trailblazer!

Pictures when you do it!

That’s a lot of investment 😳
    I’ll pray about it 😆 
    Combine it with a full moon mango trip in August. At least that way you can rationalize the fuel better.

• MissedMissed O-townPosts: 537 Officer
    We were about 20 miles out a couple years back and a flock of quid appeared in the light from the cabin.  I was trying to get em to eat a sabiki without any success.