Skip to main content
Home General Paddle Craft

Hobie Lynx

scallopscallop Posts: 50 Deckhand
Anyone have any water time and experience with the new Hobie Lynx?  Weighs 45 lbs, has the Mirage 180 drive with kick up fins.  MSRP of around $2700

I have two on order and know they will be great for my local fishing, but wonder about them in bigger water.

https://www.hobie.com/kayaks/mirage-lynx/

Replies

• Kayak_PeteKayak_Pete Posts: 184 Deckhand
    That guy was so obnoxious, I gave up after a minute.
    2014 Hobie Sport
    I went to the Hobie site to take a look at it.  It's pretty cool, but at first I was confused.  It's sort of a hybrid kayak/paddleboard.  In fact I'd say it's more like a paddleboard on steroids.  It's very flexible in its usage and looks like an excellent design; a lot of thought and work went into it.  Lots of options.  I think you'll be very happy with it.  I don't think it was built with big water in mind.
    2014 Hobie Sport
  • scallopscallop Posts: 50 Deckhand
    I have a '17 Outback that I love.  However it is a bit heavy to strap to the ladder and cargo basket of the RV.  I don't plan on selling my Outback, as it is a fishing machine.
    I am from Ohio so not a lot of "big water" around me, yes there is Lake Erie and some of the inland lakes can get a bit sporty especially with boat traffic.

Wondering if the Lynx would work in channels, around the mangroves and near shore around the keys, and some SFLA.

Yes, I actually have the ability to block out the idiot commenters on many toob of u videos, or put up with them if learning.  There are not a lot of actual water time videos of the Lynx out right now due to it being so new.
    scallop said:
    Wondering if the Lynx would work in channels, around the mangroves and near shore around the keys, and some SFLA.
    I think it would be great for that.
    2014 Hobie Sport
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 4,135 Captain
    On a West Coast kayak fishing forum,  An angler took a Lynx offshore and caught a big fish on it.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/showthread.php?t=36365
    edited June 2021 #7
    << It's very stable, just a little more squirrelly. It does not seem as prone to get out of control is you get sideways like the PA, but there is a huge difference when coming in with extra weight on the front- It would be better to have two the same size to balance the boat out. >>
    Is he talking about extra weight on the front of the Lynx?  Huh?   And "two the same size" what?   Oh, is he talking about the fish?
    2014 Hobie Sport
    << It's very stable, just a little more squirrelly. It does not seem as prone to get out of control is you get sideways like the PA, but there is a huge difference when coming in with extra weight on the front- It would be better to have two the same size to balance the boat out. >>
    Is he talking about extra weight on the front of the Lynx?  Huh?   And "two the same size" what?   Oh, is he talking about the fish?
    He is talking about coming in with a fish on the front end, and refering to the size of the area in front and behind the chair.  Any kayak down by the head (trimmed by the bow) is going to be very directionally unstable.  To the contrary, a boat trimmed by the stern is more directionally stable.  It is why I always keep my fish bag on the back end of my kayaks.
    My Lynx finally arrived, I have had them out 4 times so far.
    Fantastic light boat.  Extremely agile, turns on a dime, fairly quick acceleration.
    Twice I have had it in fairly rough water (for a freshwater lake)
    Once I set out and was messing around with setting up my fish finder and noticed the wind picking up, then it really began to blow, small whitecaps and raining like crazy.  I honestly did not think I was going to make it back to the dock, and thought about letting it blow me to the other side and waiting the storm out.  I did make it back though and not once did I feel unsafe in the boat.  Never a chance of it flipping or being "tippy"
    The other time was in moderate boat traffic, and it handled wakes etc just fine.
    Yes it is a bit of a damp ride in waves, it takes them over the bow and you do get spray, does not really "cut" through the water
    Stability is amazing.  Even my old, chubby, creaky knee'd self can stand up in it.

I think it will do great for the lakes around my house, and as a travel companion close to shore, back country and channels it will be wonderful.

The bad, is a serious lack of storage space.  It really needs at least one hatch in front of the chair.  I can't wait until my side rails come in so I can hang a couple bins from them and set my rod holders and fish finder up a little better.  The H crate jr. fits perfectly behind the seat.  I need to work on my light packing ability, I always tend to bring too much gear and tackle.
    A couple bad pix of my set up currently, I keep forgetting to take some right at the dock to show the whole boat

scallop said:
    A couple bad pix of my set up currently, I keep forgetting to take some right at the dock to show the whole boat

Looks like a nice rig, Congratulations!
  • Drifting_ByDrifting_By ChicagoPosts: 169 Deckhand
    I just commented on this kayak in another thread, this does look like a great fishing kayak if properly outfitted, and 42 lbs wow that's light no issues getting this on top of the car or carrying to the water without a cart. Wish it had a storage hatch and came in a 12' version but this is getting closer to ideal.
    I just commented on this kayak in another thread, this does look like a great fishing kayak if properly outfitted, and 42 lbs wow that's light no issues getting this on top of the car or carrying to the water without a cart. Wish it had a storage hatch and came in a 12' version but this is getting closer to ideal.
    I am not sure if due to the construction you could add a hatch or not.  I really would like at least one between the seat and drive like I have in my Outback.

Once the side rails come in and I can hang a couple bins from them I think that will solve that problem.

Another foot of length would be nice and allow for a little more storage space, but it is OK as is.  Zero stability issues, and it handles very well with it's 11' current length.