Home Photography Corner

Finaly

Jstubby2Jstubby2 Lat -90 Long +90 👍Posts: 801 Officer
I have a low end Nikon arriving tomorrow. Looking forward to playing with it & posting some of the cool stuff I see on a daily basis

Replies

• gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 2,660 Captain
    Jstubby2 said:
    I have a low end Nikon arriving tomorrow. Looking forward to playing with it & posting some of the cool stuff I see on a daily basis
    Even the low end Nikons are very good.  I've used nothing but Nikons for over 50 years.  Have fun and share your stuff.
  • Jstubby2Jstubby2 Lat -90 Long +90 👍Posts: 801 Officer
    Will do Gittum, I have been in the market for a while finally pulled the trigger. 
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,789 AG
    edited July 2021 #4
    What do you consider low end? I started with the D50, D200 then onto the D7100 and sold my old camaro so I could get the D500 so the wife would yell at me for blowing my money.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    Nikon COOLPIX B500, relatively in expensive. My first decent camera.
    edited July 2021 #6
    I started out with an Olympus 2 meg point and shoot, eventually to a 4 and on to the Nikons I mentioned. They can do a good job. Not sure how the Nikon does but the Olympus was pretty good except for extreme zoom.

One of my first Eagle shots with the 2 meg. Did some playing around with it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 2,660 Captain
    I've lost track of all the new models.  The numbers are meaningless to me.  When it was linear, you knew that a D200 was later than a D70 and the D300 after that and a step higher.  Now they've got about 400 models with numbers all over the map.  For digital, I started off with Nikon 5700, then an 8800.  Loved that 8800 - learn the quirks and it really performed....and it had a wireless remote.

Then I bypassed the D70 DSLR and bought a D200 in 2007, then another, then a D300s that I still have.  All those picture stories of Sea Otters, Killer Whales, etc. from about 2010 till 2019 were all with the D300s.  2007 to 2010 with the D200's and before that with the 8800.  The Okefenokee story was with the old 5700 and it did quite well. 

I was very rough on equipment and AP-T camera repair in Albu-quirky told me I was the roughest they'd ever seen - cost me nearly $1,000 a year to keep those cameras running.....but I sure got results.   

Then, getting much older, I got tired of packing all that weight and was getting away from the really serious stuff anyway, so dropped back to a P....something/super zoom, then something else and those seemed to last a couple of years each, then in for repair.

Nikon would receive them, check them out, then offer me a refurb of a different model for a super good price  Not entirely happy with some of it, but they do OK.  Don't like the super zooms.  Seems like over about 20X goes to  h e l l  in a hurry.  The current B700 is due for 2nd repair and don't think I want another one.  Research time.

The biggest difference is in editing.  I don't bother with RAW anymore - too much space in the storage for too little difference and a lot more fussing with them.

I like to open my EXF files from the camera in Microsoft Office 2010 if they need cropping - best program I've found for that, esp. screenshots, then rename them and open with Photo Recall Deluxe - the best simple editing program I've ever found - bought it in about 1998 and it's no longer available.....but maybe on eBay ??  

Resize to 1,000 pixels wide in PRD and do minor editing, then save as a jpeg bitmap and often re-open in Photoshop Elements Editor, go to Guided/ Lighten or Darken to really brighten things up and even out exposures and save for good. PE Editor lets you brighten up shadowed areas quite a bit, or, within limits, darken brighter areas, keeping in mind that if it's blown with overexposure, you can't bring back what isn't there.  Best to under-expose slightly.  You can really make them pop with careful mid-range/contrast changes.
    Thanks for reminding me. I had a D200 also.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• WB DrifterWB Drifter Posts: 252 Deckhand
    I think Moon Shadow shoots with the Nikon B500 and has a Youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/c/RamblingTim/videos

I started out with the 1.6 megapixel Kodak DC260 and kept upgrading, but could never keep up with the Flash.
    [SIGPIC] You are only allowed 0 images. [/SIGPIC]
    Moon recommended it, Wal Mart had a decent price. 
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,715 Captain
    I have a sister and a nephew that went to college to study photography and now make a living as photographers.  When I was younger Nikons was all my sister used for 35mm cameras.  While at the Art Center, she had to buy a Hasablad, which was an expensive big deal for portraits.  Not sure what she uses today, but once everything went digital, she was having to replace the back end of her cameras every few years to use with the same lenses.

Editing has become a huge part of the process.  Adobe Photoshop is the industry standard that both my sister and nephew use.  I am too cheap to pay for a subscription but have the elements version.  Most my fishing photos are stills of video.
    I have a sister and a nephew that went to college to study photography and now make a living as photographers.  When I was younger Nikons was all my sister used for 35mm cameras.  While at the Art Center, she had to buy a Hasablad, which was an expensive big deal for portraits.  Not sure what she uses today, but once everything went digital, she was having to replace the back end of her cameras every few years to use with the same lenses.

Editing has become a huge part of the process.  Adobe Photoshop is the industry standard that both my sister and nephew use.  I am too cheap to pay for a subscription but have the elements version.  Most my fishing photos are stills of video.

Ahh yes, the medium format days. I needed them for the 400 or so Weddings I shot over my career. Mamiya 645s, Bronic ETRS, use to lug up to 4 of them around with me during the shoot. Usually bought them used  to save money. I could have furnished a house with the money I spent, only to sell them eventually and have enough for just a dining room table. Much easier on todays Wedding Photogs, but I would still have at least two Digital cameras with me if I was still shooting them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Posts: 1,073 Officer
    edited July 2021 #13
    Yes, I use a B500 Nikon camera.  Great Camera.  Check out my page on Youtube and you will see what a good camera it is.  https://www.youtube.com/c/ramblingtim/video
     I have it set for vivid color and another thing I set it on is the largest photo setting.  Setting it on the largest setting I can crop it down and make a great close-up.  The only negative is it is not great for taking birds in flight or action shots and past half zoom a tripod helps a lot.