Skip to main content
Home Photography Corner

Pet Crane

gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,650 Captain
There are several little pothole ponds in the area I walk my dog each day and for several months there's been a resident Sandhill Crane in one of them that didn't migrate with his friends.  (that said, he wasn't there yesterday)

He's always in the same pond and now, after several months he doesn't move away - he croaks and follows me around the pond, high stepping like in a show.  He doesn't mind me, but keeps a very close eye on my dog.  Dog pays no attention to him at all.  A while back I started croaking back at him and the result was comical, tho' it did hurt my throat....(and didn't sound even remotely like a Crane)....He stared for a second, then came right over, within about 30 ft. and croaking a blue streak. 

I don't think he's injured, (but won't bet on that) 'cause sometimes he's not there, but he's the only one around.  A couple of months ago there was a small flock, but most have migrated north.  About the time most of them left, a friend in western PA told me Cranes were showing up on his property.  It would be amazing if they were the same ones.

The screen on this Dell laptop gets darker or lighter as I change the tilt, so can't really tell if I got the exposure right for other's computers.  Hope so.

Replies

• gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,650 Captain

Here, he's talking to me.  I get a real chuckle out of him.
  • Jstubby2Jstubby2 Lat -90 Long +90 👍Posts: 868 Officer
    Gittum he may have found a mate & moved into a better house with her. They usually hang out in pairs. Nice shot, I think they mate for life.
  • gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,650 Captain
    Could well be.  Haven't seen him for a few days now.  I think you're correct on the mating for life.
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 4,644 Captain
    Some of our Sandhill Cranes are year around residents. It’s not unusual for a young one to reach maturity and be a single bird until they find company and eventually pair up. Occasionally one of a pair will get “iced” crossing a road, or flying into an object. They will often nest on a high spot or tussick in a wetland or pond. They are really common and seem to be doing well population wise. BTW - It’s against the law to feed them, but apparently a lot of folks don’t know this.
  • Jstubby2Jstubby2 Lat -90 Long +90 👍Posts: 868 Officer
    Yes they are yard pets at my son's old house the lady across the street sparingly fed them. I have some cell phone pictures of a pair less the 10' away, if you stand still they will pretty  much walk right up to you.