Home Fly Fishing

Little Pinfish Flies

BooBooBooBoo Vero Beach Fl and Ft. Lupton ColoradoPosts: 201 Deckhand
I tied up a few small pinfish today on size 4 hooks. These are about 1 1/2 inches long. I feel good about their potential. 

Replies

• sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 656 Officer

That looks perfect.
    Should serve well.
    Does it have a line of flash?

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

• SnookngoodSnookngood IllinoisPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    That thing looks just about dead on.  Snook killer for sure!
  • BooBooBooBoo Vero Beach Fl and Ft. Lupton ColoradoPosts: 201 Deckhand
    Thanks guys. There is some flash through it. I tied in the flash so it stayed in close. Camera didn’t catch it. Maybe it is the type of flash I’m using or mistakes in how I’m tying it in but often I would have flash sticking out all over instead of lying down along the fly. 
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 558 Officer
    That looks great!  
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 373 Deckhand
    Great looking fly. Just a suggestion: On my pinfish flies I tie 4 strands of gold Krystal flash doubled over on each side. I glue my dome eyes on over that but the flash extends past the eyes to the end of the body. Where I fish(Flamingo) in clear water you can see swarms of little pins flashing gold. I think thats why a gold Johnson Silver Minnow spoon worked so well all those years ago. It was so good they tied a spoon fly to match it. Our go to lure 55 years ago and my go to pinfish fly has that gold flash. 
    Good info Troutbom..... I’ll pick some gold up and tie up a few more. Thanks. 

Funny thing.... I’ve read all about how effective the Johnsons silver minnow is... and what a steadfast standard to the tackle box it has been for generations.... yet I’ve yet to catch a single fish on one.  Last year, fishing the IRL around Vero in my kayak, I made it a mission to catch a fish on a JSM. I failed!  Ha. Not even a jack or ladyfish! Now, I know all I’ve read about the silver minnow can’t be hype... but dang if I could produce with one. Can’t explain it. 
    We used to bite off body of a 3" chartreuse curly tail jig and hook curly tail on back of spoon. After a few years it seemed that after being bombarded by a hail of spoons , the reds were spooked by them and we went to white skimmer jigs with curly tail trailer. When I fished the IFA Pro Redfish tour for a year that was my go to. When I started flyfishing 20 years ago a ch/wt bead chain clouser was all I needed but I started getting refusals a few years back. Up till a few weeks ago I was starting with a tan shrimp fly but just last month I left on a small black bunny that I was throwing on juvie tarpon and caught 10 super shallow reds in 2 hours. My box is now stuffed with that . I have no idea if the fish actually get hip to certain flies , but it seems like it. BTW, I used to only throw black in muddy water but last week of May got 17 in a single morning in crystal clear water. Go figure !  Keeps it interesting. I know just enough to realize that I probably have no idea whats going on.
    I went looking for pics of the black bunny you mentioned.  Found several variations. Can you post a pic and specs of the Black Bunny you use?  I’ll tie some up!  
    Its on my phone. Send me your email or phone by pm on this forum and I'll send it to you. Its my own variation of some similar flies.
    PM sent sir. Thanks!
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 230 Deckhand
    what troutbom said about the spoon. I would also get the curly tails for crappie fishing. They are a little smaller and I would usually use just a strait retrieve and I would also but a small ball bearing swivel on it
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold