Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

Your opinion needed on these two Schminnows

BooBooBooBoo Vero Beach Fl and Ft. Lupton ColoradoPosts: 240 Deckhand
Which one do you think is the better Schminnow?  The only difference is the type of chenille used. As you will notice, one is “fluffier”. I am probably just overthinking it..... but before I tie up a couple dozen, I thought I would ask for feedback. 

Replies

• tarponhuntertarponhunter Posts: 498 Deckhand
    I think the fish would like either just fine. But the bushier one will probably sink a little slower (which could be good for certain conditions and places) so its probably worth testing them in some water to see how they sink and ride. How they work is more important than how they look
  • BooBooBooBoo Vero Beach Fl and Ft. Lupton ColoradoPosts: 240 Deckhand
    But the bushier one will probably sink a little slower (which could be good for certain conditions and places) 
    Hummmm.... never thunk of that!  I was thinking about fly vanity and fish appeal. I must be shallow. Ha!  Thanks Tarponhunter. 
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,771 Captain
    Very good advice about using them and letting the fish be the judge... That's exactly what I used to tell my fly-tying students all those years ago when I was actually running organized fly-tying classes.

As a practical matter it's not a bad idea to have any pattern in more than one size (one smaller, one larger) as well as a few with relatively weight-less eyes and a few with beadchain or lead eyes since you'll encounter different conditions on the water - and at times when one fly isn't working a change to the same pattern  a bit larger or smaller will work.... 

For example all of the tarpon patterns I tie are always done up in a large and a small version.  For them, we'll go to a smaller version in very clear waters and a larger version in stained or cloudy waters....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 721 Officer

Captain LeMay,

are your flies available online? Thanks
    Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,771 Captain
    Yes, but only the tarpon flies from Umpqua Feather Merchants (and they only wholesale to fly shops I’m afraid).  I’m done as a commercial tyer (at one time I was tying for three shops at the same time, plus other guides and anglers that had specific needs…). If I ever have to quit guiding (I’m 73 now) I’ll take it up again if I’m still able.

Thanks for asking.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 409 Deckhand
    BooBoo, what material is the tail on those?  I use marabou because it moves a lot. Pretty sure Bob does too. Those will work great but I prefer marabou even if the fish dont care.
    Troutbom, here is what I am using for the tail material. Pretty soft stuff. 
  • Vinny lVinny l Posts: 389 Deckhand
    edited June 2021 #9
    BooBoo said:
    Troutbom, here is what I am using for the tail material. Pretty soft stuff. 
    CF works, I use it on a lot of my Striper flies. If I were to make a suggestion it would only be to stagger the ends a touch. Do the fish care? IDK but an old timer gave me that advice years ago. If you saw the flies he tied you'd laugh, they were a fuckin mess but he caught fish like no one else I've known. "It's all in how you swimem" he'd tell me.
    God rest his soul!!
    Craft Fur moves well too. I'm with Vinnie on liking a taper . You do this by holding clump in one hand and gently  pull the middle fibers in clump out a little to get a taper. Do you need to? Probably not.
    More like this?
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 656 Officer
    Those look like they'd tear em up.  Those lil guys look like spanish mackerel candy.  You making the eyes out of mono?

I'm looking at getting back into fly tying, thinking about tying some larger streamers w 2 in-line hooks connected by wire for high speed trolling on light tackle for kings/bonito/macks.   Just want something to drag while running out to fish spots that won't put undue stress on rods or go bouncing around everywhere at 12-15 mph.  

Use to tie a lot - we had some "custom" #12 hair's ear and hornberg type flies that were trout slayers.  Hoppers were another big one for us.

Also used to tie simple white or yellow feather streamers for droppers when surf fishing for stripers near Groton - caught some fluke on the droppers.
    Thats the idea.Looks good.Marabou has a natural taper I like but not very durable.
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 895 Officer
    Yes, but only the tarpon flies from Umpqua Feather Merchants (and they only wholesale to fly shops I’m afraid).  I’m done as a commercial tyer (at one time I was tying for three shops at the same time, plus other guides and anglers that had specific needs…). If I ever have to quit guiding (I’m 73 now) I’ll take it up again if I’m still able.

Thanks for asking.
    Captain Bob - I'll push you around once you retire free! Just point me in the right direction!  B)
  • sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 721 Officer

Missed ...
    I must be missing something here.
    Trolling streamer flies while running 12 mph from spot to spot?!?!
    I'm not exactly sure what the thought is. Are you going to run them from a fly rod?
    You would definitely need a planer or deep trolling weight on the line (such as for wahoo) to keep a fly subsurface.
    I think you are going to a lot of trouble ... and would be better off with an Ilander. 
    Now don't get me wrong. Here is a yellowfin I caught in Christmas Island trolling a cedar plug with a fly rod and reel.

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

• MissedMissed O-townPosts: 656 Officer
    sunflower said:

Missed ...
    I must be missing something here.
    Trolling streamer flies while running 12 mph from spot to spot?!?!
    I'm not exactly sure what the thought is. Are you going to run them from a fly rod?
    You would definitely need a planer or deep trolling weight on the line (such as for wahoo) to keep a fly subsurface.
    I think you are going to a lot of trouble ... and would be better off with an Ilander. 
    Now don't get me wrong. Here is a yellowfin I caught in Christmas Island trolling a cedar plug with a fly rod and reel.

Hi Mark - that's one heckova fish for a fly rod!

I'm just looking to get a bonito or maybe a king while running around at the nearshore spots.  Not specifically targeting hoos or other serious fish.  I did a bigger writeup in the other post with more details.
  • RiverScoutRiverScout MidwestPosts: 26 Deckhand
    As others mentioned, both of yours will work, depends on conditions.

I tie Schminnows in various weights and sizes..

For example

Clear beach, spooky fish, I go size 4 and 6 plastic eyes, average amount of marabou tail, but small skinny flies relatively speaking.

clear beach, not spooky/i.e. feeding fish, bigger size.  2's usually, same body design. Lots of marabou in the tail. I think the fish might be keying in on that pulse sometimes and that tail seems to flair and then inspire strikes...not sure, but I think that happens.

Semi clear.  Only change to above is the chain bead to get a bit of sink on the fly. 

Dirty... if using Schminnow, I'd maybe use a smaller dumbell eye, however usually don't use white then, switch to clouser type patterns. darker colors too.