Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

Dual Hook Streamers?

MissedMissed O-townPosts: 656 Officer
Anyone tying any 2 hook streamer rigs?

I was gifted a plano box of sea witch heads and a  "small tote" fish hair of various colors.  The weights create too much drag at 12-15 mph for the light rod I want to use them with while heading out and coming in from fishing.  Thought that streamers might be the ticket.  

Was thinking of tying up some 6-8-10 inch +/- streamers for kings and bonito mainly.  Would run 2 on my king live bait rods (6-6 ugly stick mediums w level-wind Shimanos and 50# braid).

Curious if anyone had a proven technique for the wire between the 2 hooks.  I can glue & wrap it on, loop & crimp, figure 8 & crimp, etc.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Chasing_TailsChasing_Tails Daytona BeachPosts: 5 Deckhand
    I tie double hook streamers to use in the surf.

I use Terminator titanium leader wire (50lb) tied to the front hook with a standard clinch knot and then tied down along the front hook shank to secure it. I soak the securing thread with superglue. These work well for bluefish so the goal is to make it as durable as possible.
  • poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 870 Officer
    Just curious about your idea / not trying to knock it, but without weight how will they stay in the water at 12-15 mph?
  • sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 721 Officer

Ilander

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

• Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,385 Officer
    edited June 2021 #5
    Need heavy bullet head for that speed and no flair to the skirt.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 656 Officer
    @poncedorado
    The boat is an 18 ft aluminum skiff w tiller, so it sits high and reacts more to waves than fiberglass boats - goes over as opposed to thru.  It also runs okay at 12 mph - just up on plane and soft on the waves (little slap if any).  

Went out last week and was dragging a 4 inch cedar plug about 250 feet back on way to a 15 mile reef.  Had 7 ft rod with 250 ft of braid and 25 ft 60# leader out - was popping that cedar plug outta the water.   Tried an 8-inch rebel minnow with no lip and got the same action.  Shoulda just zoomed along the surface but was 3 ft at 8 seconds, up & down a bit.  Just really figuring out that the boat angling up and down over waves caused the issues.

Thinking there are 4 options - more line, heavier lure, lighter lure, or run rod sideways.

More line opens me up to some guy running over it and having to reel it in all the time,
    heavier lure is possibility but I usually don't run a heavy rod due to being closer in w primarily kings and bonito to worry about,
    lighter lure is doable, and
    running with the rod in a rod holder that sticks it to the side like an outrigger is another option.

That's where the fly idea came from.  It wouldn't have the weight to launch itself and should just be jerky looking in the water if the rod is going back & forth over the waves.  If it doesn't work, I'm out 10 minutes of tying time.

The outrigger thing is also a solid concept to reduce the pop.  Will try that next time the issue arises.

@Chasing_Tails - that's pretty much it.  Was also thinking about the octopus hook as the follower.  Nothing can escape from getting hooked on those.   Thanks!
  • poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 870 Officer
    To lower the angle of the line you could try attaching one of these to each stern corner cleat to use as a flatline clip. They ought to have enough tension to hold at high speeds and the roller won't damage your braid

https://aftco.com/products/roller-troller-flat-line-clips
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 409 Deckhand
    This article may be of some interest. Before I started fly fishing I used to troll lipped plugs at high speed for kings and bonitos from an aluminum boat just like yours. It was 55 years ago, but it still works or so I hear. Some of these can be rigged with singles instead of trebles. A bonito with 2 sets of trebles in its face is a dangerous fish. The Islanders Sunflower suggested are a good  option.

https://www.rapala.com/eu-en/content/other-articles/trolling-xraps-and-magnums.html 
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 656 Officer
    @troutbom Bet you caught a lot of fish, I can't imagine what the ocean fishing was like down here 50 years ago.  

That's a good article.  Thanks.  

A hunting buddy turned me to trolling lures for kings.  Before that, I always slow trolled live bait or put a rigged ballyhoo on a planer.  

Running 65# braid mainline (350-500 yards), 25 feet 60# mono, 60# single strand about 3 ft long.  Drag the lures 5-6 knots and watch the rod tips so I know where the fish are.  Using 6-7 inch lures, the more wobble the better it seems.

Have a couple imitation islanders by BPS.  Took the hair off one and put a 3 inch octopus thing in its place to cut down on drag.  Did same with a pointier trolling lure too.  Hoping to head out in the morning and will drag one or the other on a 10-12 mile run before starting to troll.

Also taking Dorado's advice with a flat line clip.  Gonna run it off the corner handle and see how it all works.