Skip to main content
Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Merritt Island & Canaveral National Seashore paddle question.

Hello paddlers. 

I was surf fishing at Playalinda Beach this weekend. (two medium-sized pomps) 
On the drive out the Max Brewer Pkwy and past the booth heading to the ocean beach, I passed some "vista" parking areas that look over mangrove backwaters and the Max Hoeck Back Creek. There are also some side roads that break off into these backwater areas that I didn't explore. 

From the vista parking areas, you can certainly physically launch a kayak or SUP and I expect if I did a little exploring, I'd find some other breaks in the scrub brush and mangroves to slide in as well. 

My questions are
  • is launching this way into these areas allowed by the National Seashore, Merritt Island, and KSC authorities?
  • are these waters deep enough to paddle/fish, and are they productive?    
  • everyone seems to launch at Eddy Creek. Is that the only option? 

Thanks in advance. 
The good Lord came to save liars and sinners, that’s why he started with 4 fishermen

Replies

• MissedMissed O-townPosts: 621 Officer
    MINWR has a fishing regulation pamphlet - check it out.

There are some areas where you can't launch and will get a ticket if you do - parking is not allowed along playalinda road for example.
  • djenkodjenko Orlando,FLPosts: 3 Greenhorn
    You might be able to at night, I fish black point and a lot of the other trails by foot but you're not supposed to and I've caught tarpon off the drains there in the fall and I know people who fish with inflatable paddle boards in those backwaters but not sure about where he parks and his spots but he catches lots of nice fish back there he's just a rly tight lipped guy about that type of stuff especially with the lagoon in the condition it is in, I don't really blame him.
  • ClamfootClamfoot OviedoPosts: 59 Deckhand
    good input, thanks djenko 
    I understand the tight-lipped thing as well. 
    The good Lord came to save liars and sinners, that’s why he started with 4 fishermen