Skip to main content
Home Boating

Trailer brake pad install (Kodiak)

rudyengrudyeng Posts: 497 Deckhand
Thinking of changing out my Kodiak brake pads. Looks really simple on you tube.  I'm going with the SS backed brake pads. The original pads rusted and broke off.  The calipers are 225 non stainless but they are in great shape so it's just the pads.

Anything i should be aware of before attempting the install  ??  

Thanks

Rudy

Replies

• gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,645 Captain
    I hope this is for a different boat....??
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,771 Captain
    Before you get started, check out YouTube to see if anyone's posted a video how to on trailer brakes.  You might get lucky and find a good tutorial before you start... Post up how it goes - I've never had brakes on any of my trailers (single axle rigs) and every time I've talked to anyone with brakes on their rigs all I get is a pained look and the advice to be glad I don't have them.... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,645 Captain
    When you say "pads," I assume disk brakes.  It depends.  My Toyota 4Runner pads are pretty much drop in after removing a retaining bolt/pin and pushing the pistons back.  The 3/4 ton Diesel Dodge pads were a nightmare and I'd like to strangle the engineer who designed the awful things.

I changed those Dodge front pads out in a parking lot on a 105° day in Page, AZ, the day before The Wave hike.  I swore and cussed and sweated and strained for hours on that s.o.b. and cursed the designers all the way back thru their ancestry.

If the pads rusted out, I'd pay very close attention to the condition of the pistons in the calipers that push on those pads.  They could well be frozen in place.  I think I'd do a very careful rebuild on the calipers, too, while I have it apart

Drum brakes are a different thing.  Unless you're handy, experienced at it and have the tools, you're far better off taking it to a shop and having them do the job.  I did the 4Runner's rear brakes about 8 or 10 months ago and it's not rocket science, but not simple either.

Still curious - is this trailer under your new boat ??  Mercy, I hope not - you've had enuf hassle with that thing.
  • rudyengrudyeng Posts: 497 Deckhand
    Update
    Changed out the pads today. super easy. The only hard part was bending the tab on the outside pads.  I used a small adjustable open end wrench for that.

I had the trailer custom built for my Ocean runner and over sized it for a 33' CC. Not related to any boat manufacturer.  I did notice that Kodiak makes all stainless components but i actually wore down the brake pads before the components failed.

I do tow long distances and use the brakes a lot. Typically fish out of Key West.