Skip to main content
Home Boating

Need to Re-power, outboard availability?

Caxambas KidCaxambas Kid Senior MemberPosts: 237 Deckhand
I popped my 2000 Yamaha C115 6 weeks ago. Went to a couple dealers (Yamaha/Suzuki) wanting a new engine. I was told 100 days! Ok, everything post-pandemic is in short stock. Went back a month later to 1 dealer where I did order an engine to inquire "hows the order going". He said: 100 days......100 days minus 30 days = 100 days. I guess I missed that day taking "new math" 40 years ago.  Anyway, anybody have any info on a new 115 Yamaha or a 140 Suzuki? The Zuke is $2k less than the Yammy and has a 5 year warranty. I know the price of a new outboard is roughly $100 per horsepower. I just want to get back on the water. I live in Naples and would consider trailering to St. Pete area or Ft. :Lauderdale to get something on the transom at a decent price. Thanks!
Polar 1900 Yamaha 115

Replies

• CaptjamesCaptjames Pompano BeachPosts: 231 Deckhand
    Look on Ebay, I've seen new Pro XS 200hp etc etc. verados on their recently. (Wasn't browsing anything else.  But YES, motors are seriously back logged.  I was told 54 weeks on a 175-350 hp mercury
  • cortrcortr Junior Member Posts: 523 Officer
    Good Luck. Never seen so many used motors on the market at high prices, and they are selling. 
  • pottydocpottydoc Senior Member Sea Plane CityPosts: 5,494 Admiral
    The guy who told you 200 days from Yamaha is wrong. They aren’t even shipping motors for repower. The canceled all orders that aren’t gonna arrive before 6-31. They’re trying to keep the manufacturers of the boat lines they own supplied first, then the ones that hang only yamaha motors on their new boats. Your best bet is to find a used one. 
  • billybob11billybob11 Senior Member Walnutgrove,GaPosts: 1,411 Officer
    Friend of mine bought 2 Suzuki 140  from a dealer in Perry Ga when nobody else had any.   Sports Center. 478-987-3580.  Hope this helps
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Senior Member Posts: 4,773 Captain
    As noted already use your phone along with a listing of dealers for the brand you’re needing and good luck.  I wouldn’t want to need a new motor right now.  Hope that good business practice and a bit of luck sorts us out soon.

Japan, maybe the most important motor source,  is still in very bad shape- that virus, of course.  Hope they’re able to get past it
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • snookaffinitysnookaffinity Senior Member Naples, FLPosts: 1,298 Officer
    edited June 2021 #7
    Check Sawyers Marine in Naples. You may get lucky. 239-417-0141
    "It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt." - Mark Twain
  • Caxambas KidCaxambas Kid Senior Member Posts: 237 Deckhand
    Snook A........Went to a Yammie dealer first. No mention of months before delivery. He did suggest Sawyers. Went there and got the 100 day notice. Went back 3 weeks later, still 100 days. Hoping as you said "get lucky"!  Just looking forward to to the "got your motor, when can you get your boat here" call.
    Polar 1900 Yamaha 115