Home Off Topic

Sunday evening snake

JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 9,013 Admiral
Pretty Little Fella

Replies

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,897 Admiral
    I don't know about some of you guys. I live in the woods and West Marion County I can't even remember the last time I saw the snake of any kind. Oh yes I can it's been about 20 years. Lol
  • Jstubby2Jstubby2 Lat -90 Long +90 👍Posts: 600 Officer
    That'll get your attention pretty quick!😱 Nice shot JB 
  • JohnnyBanditJohnnyBandit Posts: 9,013 Admiral
    AC Man said:
    I don't know about some of you guys. I live in the woods and West Marion County I can't even remember the last time I saw the snake of any kind. Oh yes I can it's been about 20 years. Lol

Actually I have a LOT of concern about the lack of snakes in some areas.... Especially certain species of snakes...
    One notably is Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnakes.. I am in the woods 3 to 5 times a week. I have seen ONE eastern Diamondback.  And I know where to look..... I have Gopher Tortoise burrows marked on my GPS all over the place....I am finding no sign of them around......

I spent 9 hours driving the roads in Ocala National Forest Saturday. Checked all the gopher holes I have located in there.... No snakes... No signs of snakes..... Where Gophers live, Rattlesnakes, Indigos and Florida pine snakes should live as well...... And I do not have to actually see the snake to know there are around..... Snake leave tracks just like everything else.... ESPECIALLY heavy larger snakes and especially in the sand at the entrance of a gopher tortoise burrow.
    Jstubby2 said:
    That'll get your attention pretty quick!😱 Nice shot JB 

He was just showing me what he was working with..... He was calm as can be when I picked him up with my snake hook.
  • Terry RavenscraftTerry Ravenscraft Posts: 263 Deckhand
    I personally have found that where people have hunted over the years heavily as the forest snakes are pretty much non existent…when hunters with guns are bored ..a lot of them have a tendency to kill snakes when they cross there paths …especially rattlers…over the years with no breeding population its obvious the out come …i also have been hunting snakes for over 50 + years.. they’re still there in virgin fields ….
    Just as many snakes. They have just gotten smarter. They see us coming & haul ****.
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 2,683 Captain
    Snakes will move away from the path your walking on. With a lot of traffic they seem to stay off the roads as well. I see a lot of snakes and don’t believe bored hunters shoot them. When we were sub teens we ran all over certain areas on our WMA during family outings chasing each other (always a bunch of us cousins) and never encountered a snake. Snakes don’t hunt big moving critters so they go to ground (hide).  Slipping a long hunting or scouting is a different story, and I see a lot of snakes. Snakes do like a warm road surface during certain times, so we do see them on woods roads when traffic is light. I saw a few Sunday night after a rain on a lonely country road and had to dodge them. 
    I’ve also noticed temperatures can make them more, or less active.
    Cold blooded, if they ain't warm they ain't moving. I mentioned earlier I have a good friend who taught me a lot about snakes. The most important lession I've gotten from our friendship is snakes are quick & more important, don't F---k with them if you don't know what you are doing! We spent a good amount of time running around in the woods & on the water, lots of stories most folks  probably wouldn't believe started out like this it was a cold overcast day in December on 
    Paynes Prairie out near Bolin Bluff...    Anyway I'm into birds, he's into snakes,  I'm lookin up he's looking down everything's good. Well I'm left my lane & try to cut him off. I say why do you keep checking tree stumps. He says that's where you find the big snakes this time of year I said cool. So I started checking stumps to,not many birds moving. 30 min later I finally spotted one 6" from my face😱& it was big! Biggest rattlesnake IV eve seen, that close. I don't have to tell you where I ended up when I quite running, just want to remind folks to stay in your lane.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 4,345 Captain
    edited June 17 #10
    All I know is that if I see Johnny Bandit anywhere in the woods I'm going the other way. He seems to be a veritable moccasin magnet.

I prefer my snakes present, unseen, and non interactive.
    Jstubby2 said:
    Cold blooded, if they ain't warm they ain't moving. I mentioned earlier I have a good friend who taught me a lot about snakes. The most important lession I've gotten from our friendship is snakes are quick & more important, don't F---k with them if you don't know what you are doing! We spent a good amount of time running around in the woods & on the water, lots of stories most folks  probably wouldn't believe started out like this it was a cold overcast day in December on 
    Paynes Prairie out near Bolin Bluff...    Anyway I'm into birds, he's into snakes,  I'm lookin up he's looking down everything's good. Well I'm left my lane & try to cut him off. I say why do you keep checking tree stumps. He says that's where you find the big snakes this time of year I said cool. So I started checking stumps to,not many birds moving. 30 min later I finally spotted one 6" from my face😱& it was big! Biggest rattlesnake IV eve seen, that close. I don't have to tell you where I ended up when I quite running, just want to remind folks to stay in your lane.

Some Snakes are a lot more tolerant to the cold than folks think.  I have caught snakes on warm sunny days in January....... In fact if you get a warm sunny day right after a cold spell, it is not a bad day to go looking for Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnakes.... IF you know where a lot of gopher holes are.... They will often be out sunning near by.
    Big Mak said:
    All I know is that if I see Johnny Bandit anywhere in the woods I'm going the other way. He seems to be a veritable moccasin magnet.

I prefer my snakes present, unseen, and non interactive.

I see a lot of snakes because I look for them.....
    JB you must have missed jest of my long winded story. (I finally spotted one 6" from my face😱& it was big! & It was a rattlesnake) That's not a typo I meant six inch's. I learned a valuable lesson that day. Leave the snake hunting to the profesionals, I sticking with bird wartching. I'm not saying I don't look for snakes I just saying aint going hunting snakes. Thanks for all the info good stuff.
  • 4drinkmin4drinkmin The BarPosts: 121 Deckhand
    This one made the mistake of sliding across my back yard.  My dog took care of it for me

• Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 4,293 Captain
    4drinkmin said:
    This one made the mistake of sliding across my back yard.  My dog took care of it for me

Water snake. My dogs hate them too. They don’t bother my chickens so I leave them alone. 

I always thought the only snakes that I had to watch out for in trees around here where water snakes : Rat Snakes untill I saw this Black Racer
    Couldn't find the picture I was looking for but I have it somewhere. I used to think the only snakes indeed needed to watch out for in trees where Rat & water snakes. Wrong. I have a big Live Oak in my yard, I'm walking by 1 day looking up & I see  a Black racer about 25" up the trunk. Any other snakes I need to be looking out for in the trees? Asking for a friend😎
    Jstubby2 said:
    Couldn't find the picture I was looking for but I have it somewhere. I used to think the only snakes indeed needed to watch out for in trees where Rat & water snakes. Wrong. I have a big Live Oak in my yard, I'm walking by 1 day looking up & I see  a Black racer about 25" up the trunk. Any other snakes I need to be looking out for in the trees? Asking for a friend😎

A good number of snakes will climb trees. Black racers are considered semi arboreal. So are corn/red rat snakes.
    Eastern Rat Snakes encompassing the Yellow Rats, Grey Rats, and Black Rats (depending on where you are located) spend a LOT of time in trees and like to raid squirrel and bird nests.....

The Rough Green Snake in Florida and the Southeast are virtually completely arboreal.

Copperheads will climb trees as well. But we only have those in a very small area of Florida

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 14,424 AG
    I've seen black racers on fences.
    Just dropping grenades in OT
    Thanks. Now I know how to identify rat snakes. We had eastern yellow rat snakes on the farm in Alacuua as big around as Mak's ropes. 2 frenqunited my shop, another one liked to hang out in the guest house.
    Oh and I may pick up snake watching now that I know I can use binoculars😎
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 6,387 Admiral
    Rattlesnakes will climb trees also. I imagine all have the ability, but prefer not to use it

A guy on the GON forum was having dinner on his deck one evening and a black rat snake fell from the tree above almost landing on his wife
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends
    You should make a PSA. 😱 Now I got to watch out for f#####g rattle snakes next time I go to save a spotted owl. JB  what kinda snakes climb trees in Oregon. I may need a refresher course. I got anything to worry about? All kidding aside I used to think the only snakes that climbed where rat snakes. JB  set me straight earlier. JB I allready started, I went to the dump earlier & instead of making A right to head back to the house, I took a left because I knew what was waiting for me. Well I ended up on a narrow dirt road, I had to pull off to the side 3 times to let the approaching vehicles go by. but I was looking the whole time. Well I head home cause I was thirsty & just as I get to my property line I see a young black racer crossing the road headed for my yard. I stopped to get a picture to share but couldn't find it. When I looked up I saw one of my blue bird boxes on the fence  &  said I need to fix the roof. Everybody's gotta make a living even the serpent's. I gotta get to work. 90+
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 4,293 Captain
    Jstubby2 said:

A good number of snakes will climb trees. Black racers are considered semi arboreal. So are corn/red rat snakes.
    Eastern Rat Snakes encompassing the Yellow Rats, Grey Rats, and Black Rats (depending on where you are located) spend a LOT of time in trees and like to raid squirrel and bird nests.....

The Rough Green Snake in Florida and the Southeast are virtually completely arboreal.

Copperheads will climb trees as well. But we only have those in a very small area of Florida

I once saw a rough green snake high above me while I sat in a tree stand and I watched it go to ground by letting itself fall from branch to branch until it got to the bottom. 
    Momma didn't...
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,189 Admiral
    YUP , Got about 25 feet up in my Climber..Settled in ..and 5 ft. away was a dang green snake.
    We sat and watched the field for deer most of the morning.
    He didn't say much but it was good entertainment just having him there.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 314 Deckhand
    My kind of hunting partner, quiet, still and gets his own lunch.
  • TheMelManTheMelMan SoWeGAPosts: 702 Officer
    Still plenty of Eastern Diamondbacks in South Ga.  Every third snake I see is a Diamondback..........
    GOOGLE:  Helping Totalitarian Governments Control their populations with Surveillance,  Suppression of information, speech and ideas, now bringing Totalitarian ideas to the US.   Thanks but no thanks!
  • ScoutboatScoutboat Posts: 2,530 Captain
    East Englewood Diamondback. 
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 8,723 Admiral
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,189 Admiral
    edited June 23 #31
    I killed a small Diamondback that was in my Shop one day..
    Took it to work and put it on the sidewalk on Marco Big Money Island.
    Lot's of Joggers and Bike riders there every morning.
    He was all coiled up nice ....Wish I could have a camera there..
    Killin and Grillin :grin