Skip to main content
Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Rhodan 96” on Grady White 306

2»

Replies

• clarosaclarosa Posts: 947 Officer
    Buddy's Rhodan strips gears all the time and he doesn't go if it's rough.  He's got it on a 31 contender which I'm sure the weight of boat max's out everything on the tm. He's babying it now, stops boat totally before deploying to keep the extra torque(current) off the gears when turned on, also tries to get down current/wind of spot so it's a straight shot to get on it. Aims tm straight ahead to reduce drag when idling around.  His tm has had all kinds of issues, should have been covered under lemon law.  It's also every tm make/model out there, they all have issues at one time or another, my MK had issues all the time and so does a lot of other peoples, if you don't believe it, just go to a repair shop and look at how busy they are(most are still under warranty).
    Funny as they are supposed to be rated for up to "15000lbs". I am running a 36 dakota, and fully loaded i'd say it's around 10-11k. Oh well, it is what it is I guess. 
    SnappaSlappa jigs, Made By Fisherman FOR fisherman

https://snappaslappa.com/collections/jigs
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 1,168 Officer
    Chris, what you're talking about doesn't come down to the thrust and torque, it's a problem with vertical movement of the motor unit while the shaft is spinning in the horizontal axis.  If things are rough enough, the lateral movement of the motor creates downward and upward drag on the prop unit, which pushes the drive horizontal shaft out of alignment, even if only a little.  If it does this while that shaft is spinning and the gears are spinning, it'll make the gear teeth slip and grind since they aren't in perfect alignment.
  • clarosaclarosa Posts: 947 Officer
    Chris, what you're talking about doesn't come down to the thrust and torque, it's a problem with vertical movement of the motor unit while the shaft is spinning in the horizontal axis.  If things are rough enough, the lateral movement of the motor creates downward and upward drag on the prop unit, which pushes the drive horizontal shaft out of alignment, even if only a little.  If it does this while that shaft is spinning and the gears are spinning, it'll make the gear teeth slip and grind since they aren't in perfect alignment.
    Yep, seems about right. They have an upgraded clutch system instead of the gears that they said have been working much better. We are a demo boat for the Rhodan since my other Capt. is a dealer so we get to try this new clutch thing out. 
    SnappaSlappa jigs, Made By Fisherman FOR fisherman

https://snappaslappa.com/collections/jigs