Home General Hunting

Hunting E Bike recommendations.

2

Replies

  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,208 Captain
    An electric bike can be a wonderful alternative to four wheeler.
    I have been using good ol fashioned pedal bike on National Forest Lands for years. Bike a good way to access remote areas, stash bike and walk. Sit. Ramble.
    An e bike is in my future.
    Easy to transport. No trailer/ trailer tag/ trailer wheel hubs/ spare tire to service. No ramp to truck bed.
    No carburetor, oil change........ etc.

    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,304 AG
    joekat46 said:
    How about geting off your lazy butts and walk into these areas as they were intended.  Maybe we'll next see parasailing in, HALO drops, and other ways to circumvent any hunters using their legs and feet.  The truly " bum generation" wins again.  Lost cause. Spit!
    at 60 with diabetic neuropathy in my feet and two knee surgeries, I could get an AMP permit (I'm not obese either) but I would rather use some type of bike.
    A peddle assist would be my choice.


    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • hoggatorhoggator Posts: 427 Deckhand
    I took a few weeks before even posting asking for fellow hunters recommendations on an EBike, because I knew on this forum it would turn to this.  People who don’t even know you or know how you hunt assuming and making inferences.  
    Bottom line, It’s new technology & some people will object to change.  Can you imagine the first guy paddling his canoe to duck on the lake getting passed by a motor boat.  How about the guy in the motor boat later in life getting passed by an airboat.  “Guy in the airboat should get out and push through the sawgrass just like we always have.”
    Should be ban 4WD vehicles because they have an advantage over driving a sedan in the woods?
    Maybe leave all vehicles at the check station and make every area walk in only so only those that are more fit and willing can get further away.  
    Swamp buggies?
    4 wheelers?
    Maybe semi-autos should be banned so guys with bolt actions and pumps are not at a disadvantage.  I get that these bikes are a new thing, but not sure that we haven’t been through this before as hunters with new technology impacting the way we hunt & travel to and from. 
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 2,740 Captain
    I see both sides of the discussion. The truth is, with  
  • FloridahuntFloridahunt Palm BeachPosts: 146 Deckhand
    swampdog said:
    I see both sides of the discussion. The truth is, with  
    Can’t argue with you bro
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 788 Officer
    joekat46 said:
    Spit x 2.  We've decided if we're walking in and get passed to a preselected/scouted spot by an e bike it will turn into a very crowded spot.  Maybe we can sit around and talk about the grandkids while all waiting on that first gobble.  "Walking in". Lol.  Those days are apparently gone.  I'll miss them.
    E Bike - the jet ski of the woods.
    true story      three lakes    4 trucks 9 guys all pull up to little green gate at same time where trail starts to take you out by strip of private property along canoe creek road    place was all mine 10 or so years ago now its a sausage fest     anyway we all joke bout who gonna jog out there    whos a fast or slow walker   where everyone planning on going   we all walked out together some guys were gonna be in same general area so they just agreed stay 3 or 4 hundred yards apart    me and my buddy had longest walk    bout 50 minutes      anyway first 2 guys stopped bout 30 minutes into walk along fenceline to set up rest of us keep walking   5 minutes later  4 guys    four    quatro guys come flying by us on ebikes     never said hello excuse me    nothing   real a holes    well some of the guys walking had a few choice words for them i keep walking     15 minutes later me and my buddy start getting flashed by flashlight    one of the ebikers set his decoy right on the trail along the fenceline we walk right past it    100 yds later 2nd guy    decoy right on trail     400 yds a full flock   last 2 guys had 4 hens and a jake set up      they thanked me for screwing up there hunt so i told them to go blank themselves    im old and grouchy in the morning     it was still a hour before daylight and we had 10 minutes or so to area we were hunting     the guys who walked the shortest distance killed a nice gobbler at 7.15am    everyone else nothing    back at campground the next afternoon guy told me the 4 ebikers left that first morning at 10.20am   hardcore group of turkey hunters      i dont care one way or the other as far as ebikes go but i will never turn around or alter my hunt in anyway cause a guy beat me to a spot using a ebike when i just walked 45 minutes or 10 minutes.  if you walked in before me i will wish you good luck and move on but cruise by me on a ebike no way im changing my plans.
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 2,740 Captain
    swampdog said:
    I see both sides of the discussion. The truth is, with  
    Can’t argue with you bro
    Thought I’d saved the post for later completing :o The truth is, with gaining additional access methods always comes responsibility. Failing that test can and often does come with restrictions. I’ve seen mudslingers (not hunters) use hunting as an excuse to tear up the roads on a WMA, leading to tickets and eventually more closed roads on the WMA. Guess who screamed loudest when the land owner closed certain roads during the rainy season. So the Ebike guys are selling the idea for peddle/assist to access the outback. The access may come, and again will come with responsible use. Failure to be responsible will impact those that do things right and future Ebike users. 

    We’re all different, and there are two sides to the increased method of access. Killing a deer has definitely gotten easier in my lifetime.  I know some that wouldn’t hunt without the easier methods enjoyed today. As long as it’s legal, I’m good with it and will support a persons right to take, with whatever method chosen. I still hunt a romp and stomp that often results in helping a couple on a three wheeler with a broken axel (still don’t know what that cute gal saw in him), load the three wheeler on the truck. I’m a little more easy going than my younger days and still get where the mechanized can’t go. Life’s good, only three months till bow season.
  • WildManWildMan Posts: 221 Deckhand
    I hunt an area (when I can draw a quota) that is mostly foot access only.  When it first opened, I would walk-in several miles and rarely see another hunter.  Now, other hunters have began using bikes, e-bikes, etc. to get way back so my tactic to get away from others no longer works.  However, now there is rarely anyone hunting in close so I just adapted and hunt closer to the parking area now.  I guess in a sense, they have improved my hunt in that I don't have to put as much work in these days.  As I see it, you just have to adapt to the changes.  Similar to swampdog, I'm good with folks doing whatever's legal to increase their odds, etc., even if it is not my cup of tea.  We have too much in-fighting among hunters already based on personal preferences without considering the bigger picture.
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 509 Officer
    As for folks getting upset cause some guy passes then in the early AM, it would be the same with a regular bike or even a horse.  

    I see this kind of behavior a lot as a duck hunter.  Get there first and the next couple guys either give you a ration of crap and/or just set up on top of you.  Lotta guys like that.

    Chalk it up as the joy of hunting public land.  


  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 788 Officer
    swampdog said:
    swampdog said:
    I see both sides of the discussion. The truth is, with  
    Can’t argue with you bro
    Thought I’d saved the post for later completing :o The truth is, with gaining additional access methods always comes responsibility. Failing that test can and often does come with restrictions. I’ve seen mudslingers (not hunters) use hunting as an excuse to tear up the roads on a WMA, leading to tickets and eventually more closed roads on the WMA. Guess who screamed loudest when the land owner closed certain roads during the rainy season. So the Ebike guys are selling the idea for peddle/assist to access the outback. The access may come, and again will come with responsible use. Failure to be responsible will impact those that do things right and future Ebike users. 

    We’re all different, and there are two sides to the increased method of access. Killing a deer has definitely gotten easier in my lifetime.  I know some that wouldn’t hunt without the easier methods enjoyed today. As long as it’s legal, I’m good with it and will support a persons right to take, with whatever method chosen. I still hunt a romp and stomp that often results in helping a couple on a three wheeler with a broken axel (still don’t know what that cute gal saw in him), load the three wheeler on the truck. I’m a little more easy going than my younger days and still get where the mechanized can’t go. Life’s good, only three months till bow season.
    less then 2 months for me till bow opener     cameras going out soon.
  • watergatorwatergator Fort Pierce Posts: 191 Deckhand
    My problem with allowing the e bikes is the difficulty of enforcement for the “bad players” which makes it unfair for those doing it right. As mentioned here, there’s really no regulated way to differentiate the classes of bikes and the class 2 (may be wrong but I’m not fully versed on the nomenclature) is very easy to appear as it is in compliance without actually being in compliance.

    I would prefer to see motors left at the trailhead with the exception of bonafied disabilities. Maybe make parts of the season open to them or certain areas, but at that point why not small 50cc gas bikes? 
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 788 Officer
    seen a guy at big cypress with a homemade battery powered game cart     thing was awesome     i asked him could you sit on it and ride it    he laughed and said you no way       me maybe.     zip lines   bungee jumping   and now battery powered game carts    sucks to be a large dude.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 4,382 Captain
    I couldn't give two flying frigs what someone else is doing as long as it's legal.  I may not embrace it, and I don't expect them to embrace my methods, but you dam sure better give me the same considerations as I give you.  I can promise you that whatever the case may be, I'm gonna get mine.  It will be up to you if it costs you or not.
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 612 Officer
    Ebikes are limited on what they can do. They can’t go through water,mud, high grass, bad sugar sand , uphill sugar sand …. Forget about it. 
    They do no damage to environment. 
    If you can walk it with sneakers then ebike is ok. Everything else nope. 

    You guys would complain if a guy on a regular bike passed you. Get over it. 
    Those that haven’t ridden an ebike have no idea what the Limits are.  
    If I use the bike. It’s only for the trail part. The rest of the way I’ll have to walk in. 

    Easy tip. Don’t hunt on a trails. Expect human traffic
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,208 Captain
    If half the four wheeler users in my hunt woods went to E Bike that would be just fine! 
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,517 Captain
    Big Mak said:
    I couldn't give two flying frigs what someone else is doing as long as it's legal.  I may not embrace it, and I don't expect them to embrace my methods, but you dam sure better give me the same considerations as I give you.  I can promise you that whatever the case may be, I'm gonna get mine.  It will be up to you if it costs you or not.
    Preach
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 2,653 Captain
    Put ANY size electric motor on a canoe or kayak and it must then be registered, numbered and annually licensed to be legal on Florida public waters.  Why should an electric powered bicycle be given a pass when operated on public lands?  Maybe an E Bike sticker, annual fee, helmet law for juveniles and mandatory insurance is in the e bike's future.  A small price to pay to be able to ride around on the WMAs and buzz by anyone walking in ahead of you on the trails.  
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,044 Captain
    edited June 12 #49
    The great thing about rules is there will always be someone to figure out a loophole. Then always someone will complain about it. Which leads to.....more rules. 
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,208 Captain
    E Bike will accommodate expanded hunter range/ access.
    Therefore, we need to rejuvenate aggressive public conservation and hunt public lands acquisition.
    Yea E Bike!
    Make room for personal vertical vehicle . Park mammoth road vehicle at designated WMA “ parking area” ....strap on Vertical device and fly over...... 
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 3,109 Moderator
    No thanks on the additional regulations and taxes.

    That being said, ebike or not, I will almost always be the first to the parking area. However, in the rare occasion that I'm not, I would never blow by someone without asking them where they're going.
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 988 Officer
    hoggator said:
    joekat46 said:
    How about geting off your lazy butts and walk into these areas as they were intended.  Maybe we'll next see parasailing in, HALO drops, and other ways to circumvent any hunters using their legs and feet.  The truly " bum generation" wins again.  Lost cause. Spit!
    How about you quit hunting with modern weapons and go
    make a wooden spear or wooden bow with wooden arrows tipped with stones the way humans have hunted for the vast majority of the time we have been on earth (the way it was intended) and quit shooting animals from 100s of yards away with some high power rifles and fancy scopes or using bows that have become true engineering feats. 
    OR
    maybe just let people hunt their own way so long as what they are doing is legal and ethical.  
    And if is not legal complain about until the law is changed. My muzzleloader is a flintlock and my bow is a recurve.
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,044 Captain
    Lostconch said:
    hoggator said:
    joekat46 said:
    How about geting off your lazy butts and walk into these areas as they were intended.  Maybe we'll next see parasailing in, HALO drops, and other ways to circumvent any hunters using their legs and feet.  The truly " bum generation" wins again.  Lost cause. Spit!
    How about you quit hunting with modern weapons and go
    make a wooden spear or wooden bow with wooden arrows tipped with stones the way humans have hunted for the vast majority of the time we have been on earth (the way it was intended) and quit shooting animals from 100s of yards away with some high power rifles and fancy scopes or using bows that have become true engineering feats. 
    OR
    maybe just let people hunt their own way so long as what they are doing is legal and ethical.  
    And if is not legal complain about until the law is changed. My muzzleloader is a flintlock and my bow is a recurve.
    ....and back in the day when they were invented, that recurve and flintlock were considered "cutting edge technology" on par with E bikes and telescopic sights, and smokeless powder and Etc Etc Etc.....
  • Jstubby2Jstubby2 Lat -90 Long +90 👍Posts: 609 Officer
    joekat46 said:
    Put ANY size electric motor on a canoe or kayak and it must then be registered, numbered and annually licensed to be legal on Florida public waters.  Why should an electric powered bicycle be given a pass when operated on public lands?  Maybe an E Bike sticker, annual fee, helmet law for juveniles and mandatory insurance is in the e bike's future.  A small price to pay to be able to ride around on the WMAs and buzz by anyone walking in ahead of you on the trails.  
    You can bet that's coming & I think it's a great idea, the gov never missed an opportunity to pass a tax. You guys  got me thinking🤣 I haven't had a new bike since I was 17, I'm still riding my son's bike I bought him when he was 14, he's 37, I'm 65 with COPD.... I decided today I NEED A NEW BIKE! I've got some money coming from an old 401k I had forgotten about so I'm getting the house painted by someone else, getting two pair of real glasses from an optomatrist including a pair of cool polarized shades for fishing, privacy fence replaced by someone else & a  NEW BIKE! So I need some input on prices vs's quality & I can't think of a better group to ask! Can you help a brother out.
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 3,109 Moderator
    Jstubby2 said:

    You can bet that's coming & I think it's a great idea, the gov never missed an opportunity to pass a tax. You guys  got me thinking🤣 I haven't had a new bike since I was 17, I'm still riding my son's bike I bought him when he was 14, he's 37, I'm 65 with COPD.... I decided today I NEED A NEW BIKE! I've got some money coming from an old 401k I had forgotten about so I'm getting the house painted by someone else, getting two pair of real glasses from an optomatrist including a pair of cool polarized shades for fishing, privacy fence replaced by someone else & a  NEW BIKE! So I need some input on prices vs's quality & I can't think of a better group to ask! Can you help a brother out.
    How much are you looking to spend? Many companies are way behind on orders due to the current supply issues many industries are facing. By far the most popular is RAD, but that doesn't mean they're the best (I'm not saying they're bad either). Himiway is a good bike at a similar price point and I believe their motors are an actual 750w rather than 750w "peak" that the RADs have. You're going to want a hub drive in FL. Mid drives are great for hilly areas, but since they turn the chain, they utilize the derailleur, and our grassy roads and pinestraw will clog it up quickly. Mid drives are also more expensive. Stick to the bigger names in case you need parts.

     
  • Jstubby2Jstubby2 Lat -90 Long +90 👍Posts: 609 Officer
    Thanks, money is no object, (kinda felt good to say that) but I'm still cheap! I will probably have it the rest of my life so I'm not to concerned about cost. I was thinking about a new truck so this is a drop in the bucket😎appreciate the input.
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 612 Officer
    I have (2) ecotric fattier bikes. Paid like 950  each with 4 years warranty added. The are hub drive. The only draw back is that you have to be a tall guy to ride them. The nut crushing bar is a little higher then normal. But ecotric does have one with a lower bar for like $1,100. Always get the warranty. 
    Suspension on the more expensive ones are nice if you can spend the money. 

    Expect to get about 10-15 miles per charge in the woods on all bikes 

    one evening when I  shot two deer. I had to cart them out with the bike. I only got 6 miles out of the bike before the battery died.  When taking them one at a time 
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 3,109 Moderator
    Jstubby2 said:
    Thanks, money is no object, (kinda felt good to say that) but I'm still cheap! I will probably have it the rest of my life so I'm not to concerned about cost. I was thinking about a new truck so this is a drop in the bucket😎appreciate the input.
    If you're on Facebook, look up Ebike Hunters United. You'll be able to see many valuable discussions that will help you with your decision.
  • Jstubby2Jstubby2 Lat -90 Long +90 👍Posts: 609 Officer
  • Jstubby2Jstubby2 Lat -90 Long +90 👍Posts: 609 Officer
    Don't do book face😎
Sign In or Register to comment.