Skip to main content
Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Realistic?

Hunt2871Hunt2871 Washington StatePosts: 7 Deckhand
I am going to be in the Floridana area the last week of May and the first week of June and I plan on surf fishing a good bit but I have an old 13' Gheenoe with a trolling motor and a power pole micro anchor.  I haven't used the boat in years....the last time I used it was duck hunting and it had a leak at the transom and I put it back in the truck and basically forgot about it....but a $10 fiberglass repair kit will fix a leaky Gheenoe....I have done it many times!  Is it possible to catch some trout, redfish and snook around Honest John's Fish Camp?   I suspect the area gets hammered being so convenient but it looks fishy on google earth.  There is a canal development about 1/4 mile from the boat ramp full of docks and possibly lights???  I hadn't even considered bringing a boat but it seems like it'd be a good idea???

I haven't registered the thing in years....it has only really been enforced in Georgia with a trolling motor in the last 10 years or so.  Can you operate a boat in Florida with a temporary registration from another state?  I know it ain't possible to leave the hill without being checked, in my experience, but I don't like the idea of a stiff fine for not being properly registered.  

Replies

• bluewater_feverbluewater_fever Posts: 192 Deckhand
    You can still catch fish or two in the Honest Johns area. However, I wouldn't expect much. That area gets hit harder with algae blooms than anglers. The trout fishery in Grant-Sebastian is almost non-existent anymore.

I don't know the rules but I do know that FWC often hangs out at the ramps.

Good luck!
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,265 AG
    Personally...I would fish the beach May - June... Dawn & dusk Night time at the inlet. Just not enough bang for the buck in this area with what you describe on the Gheenoe....You need to be able to cover ground....like with an outboard motor
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,682 Captain
    Lot of snook in the surf.
  • Hunt2871Hunt2871 Washington StatePosts: 7 Deckhand
    Update on trip - Did well in the surf on snook.....managed to land 3 over slot and had several others come unbuttoned when trying to beach them....gotta improve that technique LOL.  Also caught 2 redfish and numerous whiting on fish bites and pomp rigs.  Slayed the Spanish two mornings in a row and then they dissapeared...small fish all of them but LOTS of them.  Had 3- 4 good fish a morning on in the surf with most breaking off or throwing the hook...I think the sharks were at work several times but they cut off so quick hard to tell.  Worked hard to make bait but did manage a dozen or so croakers / pinfish a day to keep the bait bucket servicable.  All in all a great trip.  Did not take my Gheenoe....next time for certain though.