Home General Hunting

black powder

gottheitch22gottheitch22 fort Meade FLPosts: 4,439 Captain
So after a very long time owning my black powder gun , I'm in the market for a new one . the one I have now is a remington 700 I bought in 2001 and is converted over to 209 . What are you guys using now and how do you like it ?
living life as i like

Replies

• gmiller0737gmiller0737 Posts: 663 Officer
    I've been using the same Gonic Arms T/C Contender .45 Muzzloader Barrel since 91 with 209 Ignition (Gonic is long out of Business) I got My Son a T/C Impact .50 with 209 Ignition & The Stainless Barrel/Camo Stock shooting The Hornady SST Low Drag 250 grain Sabot & using Blackhorn 209 Powder that thing is amazingly accurate & unlike most of the other brands Made in USA
  • altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 336 Deckhand
    Plus one on the TC Impact, amazingly accurate, relatively light and compact. Love it.
    I also have a Lyman Mustang 209, again great gun, but weighs 100 pounds.
    I only take it when stand hunting food plots close to the road.
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,781 Captain
    I have a T/C  impact also. Nice gun, but it is my backup to my older T/C omega. That gun I can shoot as well as any of the rifles I own out to 100 yards. 
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 2,722 Captain
    CVS Wolf - will place two shots in the same hole at 100 yds. Bought the package gun with scope. 209 primers, Power Belts. It’s light and compact. 
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,724 Captain
    Savage 10 ML-2  stainless.   One of the best shooting guns I have ever owned.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 4,365 Captain
    edited June 7 #7
    I'm still shooting a open sight 54cal Hawkens percussion cap gun that I built from a kit when I was 9. It's been killing things for about 45 years. I bought my son a CVA Optima with a scope last year in stainless and it's probably the most accurate rifle I own. The ease of use in removing and manipulating the breech for cleaning and field care are absolutely fantastic on the Optima. No tools required.

If I end up on a muzzleloader hunt without my son, I'll be taking his rifle to hunt with.

Whatever you decide, go with a stainless model. There's no comparison with the care and cleanup.
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 611 Officer
    edited June 7 #8
    Walk and stalk I use cva wolf. Lighter
    hunting from tree- traditions tracker heavier and less recoil. 
  • altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 336 Deckhand
    The accuracy of todays inine muzzleloader is amazing. Almost of them will shoot well out to 100 yds, some even further. With pellets and 209 primers they have taken the worry out of black powder hunting. (Although I did screw up using old pellets and missed a buck this year) it was all my fault certainly not the equipment.
  • RobertRRobertR Posts: 348 Deckhand
    I have a 50 cal Knight Disk Extreme I got in 2006. I use two. 777 pellets and Barnes TEZ sabot bullets. It Shoots very well so I don't need to upgrade at this time. I have an Older Knight Wolverine that uses Musket caps that also is pretty accurate. Like others have said there are lots of great ML choices. I would not mind getting one of the newer lighter rifles..
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 910 Officer
    I shoot a stainless TC Omega.  777 pellets and shoot 3 pellets.  250 grain Super Glide Shockwave bullet.  It is sighted in 3" high at 100 and is dead on at 150.  6" low at 200.  Furthest I have shot a deer with it is 80 yards though.  I would not hesitate at 150.  Super accurate, but you better have the stock on your shoulder...
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 9,226 Admiral
    Bout time to be thinking about this...
    Good Timing.
    Smokepole Season ain't that far off.
    You got Powder ?..Better check now...just sayin
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 2,652 Captain
    3 -  T/C Renegade .54,  T/C Cherokee .32 both percussion #11 cap, a Knight TK2000 12 GA shotgun (pictured in avatar) 209 primer.  All have killed stuff.  The TK has never missed a turkey.  At full load it kicks so bad it's almost scary.  I'm hearing true blackpowder is scarce and the 777 also hard to find. Luckily I have some FF Goex and FFF 777.  Fun guns to shoot.  Good luck.

• guido4198guido4198 Posts: 2,256 Captain
    I use this one. Hand built for me by Tip Curtis. This is a 50 caliber rifle, copied from an original built by gunsmith John Brooks in Pennsylvania in about 1810 or so.  For any BP enthusiasts who knew Tip or may have done business with him over the years, I have to tell you that Tip passed over in 2020. GBNF.
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 2,722 Captain
    Mak reminded me, my wife and I built TC Hawkin from a kit the first year we were married. It’s a .50 cal and has taken a lot of deer. I still use it from time to time when the woods are tight. 
    Tree stand it’s mostly the light, handy and scoped Wolf. As said - their are a lot of choices out there. 
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 508 Officer
    CVA Optima - just got it and need to dial it in out to 200-250 yards.  Have a 2-7 Viper on it, want to put a 3-9 VX2 on there.  It loads and cleans easy.
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 1,337 Officer
    joekat46 said:
    3 -  T/C Renegade .54,  T/C Cherokee .32 both percussion #11 cap, a Knight TK2000 12 GA shotgun (pictured in avatar) 209 primer.  All have killed stuff.  The TK has never missed a turkey.  At full load it kicks so bad it's almost scary.  I'm hearing true blackpowder is scarce and the 777 also hard to find. Luckily I have some FF Goex and FFF 777.  Fun guns to shoot.  Good luck.

For anybody that reloads the 3 elements used to make black powder is readily available in bulk. If you dont blow the roof off your house you would never have to worry about bang bang again😃. Happy shooting! I mean winning!!
  • james 14james 14 Posts: 3,109 Moderator
    Get a smokeless gun. The cheapest option is to have one of several builders convert a CVA Hunter 45-70. $6-700 for a 300 yard muzzleloader that won't rust if you don't clean it right away.
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,797 Captain
    swampdog said:
    CVS Wolf - will place two shots in the same hole at 100 yds. Bought the package gun with scope. 209 primers, Power Belts. It’s light and compact. 
    Absolutely the best gun on the market for the money, and as good as a bunch of more expensive ones. 
  • gottheitch22gottheitch22 fort Meade FLPosts: 4,439 Captain
    pottydoc said:
    swampdog said:
    Absolutely the best gun on the market for the money, and as good as a bunch of more expensive ones. 
    I bought one for my girl last year . Wish I would have bought one for my self then I would have saved150 bucks . I just bought another wolf . 
    living life as i like
  • red owlred owl Posts: 694 Officer
    CVA Buckhorn bolt style.  Sort of a bother to clean but groups 1 1/2" at 100 yards so I'm sticking with it.