Home Off Topic

Steve Spurrier can't get help

cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 37,005 AG
At his restaurant. 
Spurrier's is a new restaurant in town that was supposed to open last month. It has had one delay or another. I read in yesterday's paper the delay now is they can't find enough employees to open the doors. 

https://www.gainesville.com/story/entertainment/dining/2021/06/02/gator-steve-spurriers-gainesville-florida-celebration-pointe-restaurant-lacks-enough-employees/7503557002/

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

Replies

• Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 4,320 Captain
    I saw a big billboard for it on I75 yesterday asking for applicants. In very big writing. 
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 12,095 AG
    As soon as the free money dries up folks will be forced to go back to work.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 2,738 Captain
    Has he thrown his clipboard and hat at the problem yet? 
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,789 Admiral
    swampdog said:
    Has he thrown his clipboard and hat at the problem yet? 
    No, he's headed to Tallahassee to hire some of their recent graduates. 
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 12,051 AG
    As soon as the free money dries up will be forced to go back to work.
    Yep. Same up here too. Every business up here is hurting.

Bojangles is offering $12 an hour for closers, plus all the chicken you can eat. 

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 8,748 Admiral
    They are opening a Loves truck stop with a Bojangles in it here.

That makes 3 public and 1 private truck stop in this kind of small town.
  • GardawgGardawg The Sportfishing Capital Of The WorldPosts: 12,306 AG
    Is the police station still in a phone booth?

Best grouper sandwiches I've ever eaten were out of a road side shack there.  $1.25 for a 8 oz piece of fried grouper on a hamburger bun.  1970s. 

"Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
  • bocapup1bocapup1 Posts: 1,499 Officer
    Gardawg said:
    Is the police station still in a phone booth?

Best grouper sandwiches I've ever eaten were out of a road side shack there.  $1.25 for a 8 oz piece of fried grouper on a hamburger bun.  1970s. 

Sounds perfect right about now!
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 4,808 Captain
    The new Burger King here is open 8:00 am until 6:00 pm, drive through only because they can't hire enough staff. They did the site work for a new Taco Bell, and then stopped it because they don't believe they can hire enough people. When we first came up here last August, there were now hiring signs all over town. They're still there. The stimulus money is part of the issue here, and pretty much zero affordable housing, with almost no long term rentals at all are a huge part of the problem, also.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 37,005 AG
    I am starting to see more applicants right after Florida announced they would stop the federal $300 supplement pay on June 26th. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• YnotjaxYnotjax Posts: 504 Officer
    I saw a interesting article where people would work if they got paid in cash. So they can keep getting the checks sometimes the waiters will work for free for tips but they have issues getting personal working in the back.  They want cash too.
    Then they work for 6 months the old benefits are gone and they get fired so they file again and have no job record. Employer gets a visit from the state and the IRS and their insurance is cancelled. 

I know of people who paid under the table and had it come back and bite them when the employee got pissed or hurt. Not worth it. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 14,473 Moderator
    cadman said:
    Then they work for 6 months the old benefits are gone and they get fired so they file again and have no job record. Employer gets a visit from the state and the IRS and their insurance is cancelled. 

I know of people who paid under the table and had it come back and bite them when the employee got pissed or hurt. Not worth it. 
    I've been in business 38 years. You can not trust an employee when it comes to compensation. You have to treat them all equally and according to employment law. 

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Hard work, terrible hours, low pay. 
    And a football coach for a boss.

Why aren't folk flocking to work there?
    "Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
    How do you know what the restaurant pays?

Mini Mart Magnate

Just a deductive guess.

People don't want to work there.   If they were paying $40 @ hour there'd be a line of applicants down the street.

I don't have any statistics for you to argue about.  Sorry to disappoint you.  
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 14,473 Moderator
    $40 an hour?

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• Mango ManMango Man Posts: 12,051 AG
    Gardawg said:
    Just a deductive guess.

People don't want to work there.   If they were paying $40 @ hour there'd be a line of applicants down the street.

He doesn't know and I disagree. They're making enough off the government to not want to work. We have restaurants here paying as much as Lowes and Home Depot. They can't get help either. 

Even servers are in short supply. Some of these can make a C note a night. 

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
    edited June 7 #20
    Gardawg said:
    Just a deductive guess.

Just curious since you went straight to lousy pay and terrible hours as reasons. But you have no clue, as you admit. 

Who pays $40 and hour? That is $83,000 a year. Median individual income is $27.936 in Florida. 

The reason people weren't looking was the government supporting them at $600 a week. That ends in a couple of weeks. As I stated earlier, I am seeing a huge increase in applications since it was announced. I hired 3 people in the last week and fully staffed now. Still taking apps at this point to see if better people come along. Was getting 2 or 3 a week of questionable apps. Now we are getting 7 or 8 a week and better quality. 

Mango Man said:
    Gardawg said:
    Just a deductive guess.

He doesn't know and I disagree. They're making enough off the government to not want to work. We have restaurants here paying as much as Lowes and Home Depot. They can't get help either. 

Even servers are in short supply. Some of these can make a C note a night. 

You are right. A lot of people are lazy and $600 a week pays the basic bills and they don't have to do anything. I bet a server at Spurrier's could make $40 an hour on a  busy night. 

I don't think it is going to be a cheap place to eat. I might be wrong though. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• jetmech2jetmech2 Panhandle Posts: 1,205 Officer
    stc1993 said:
    They are opening a Loves truck stop with a Bojangles in it here.

That makes 3 public and 1 private truck stop in this kind of small town.
    You talking about Albany? 
     It’s a crossroads town. Plus the Miller plant along with P&G and all the other warehouses.