Home Fly Fishing

Yak Muddler

CWFliesCWFlies StuartPosts: 134 Deckhand
Working on a yak muddler. This was my first attempt. I think it can be improved alot so looks for some feed back. I think i would like to make the head bushier so it more 3D to push water. Second i though of for the last tie instead of tying back on the material to make a nose that i should do a thread dam to hold the material back. Last I am not sure if you can have too many feathers off the back. I think i have 8 in total here. I can always add more or take them away. Let me know if you guys see anything wrong or something that need to be fixed to make this a solid fly. Hopefully i'll have a shot to throw it at some **** off the beach shortly.
On a side note loving working with the yak. I ordered a few Kilos and have been dying it myself and softening it up myself. Can't wait to throw the flies with this yak and see how much movement they have, 

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,468 Captain
    Dat’s a good looking bug, period... in any color.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • CWFliesCWFlies StuartPosts: 134 Deckhand
    Thanks Bob. 
    I tried tying one with a bulker head to push more water. I don't like it as much as this thinner head. 
    I think i might just leave it as is. Perfection is sometimes the enemy of success.
    If it were me I’d also want a version with large beadchain eyes - and one with lead eyes... 

Just to cover all the bases one in all white as well...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 656 Officer

You know I love purple for tarpon. I just haven't seen one to throw at yet this season.
    I like a thinner profile, because I basically think it is a worm mimic.
    What do the feathers do that the yak doesn't?
    How wide do those feathers spread when you work it?
    Is the yak less-tangly than Puglisi fibers or marabou?
    Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

• CWFliesCWFlies StuartPosts: 134 Deckhand
    If it were me I’d also want a version with large beadchain eyes - and one with lead eyes... 

Just to cover all the bases one in all white as well...
    I'll have it in plenty of different color combos.

sunflower said:

You know I love purple for tarpon. I just haven't seen one to throw at yet this season.
    I like a thinner profile, because I basically think it is a worm mimic.
    What do the feathers do that the yak doesn't?
    How wide do those feathers spread when you work it?
    Is the yak less-tangly than Puglisi fibers or marabou?
    The feather have more movement than the yak, specially behind a bulkier head. Also feathers are lighter than yak.
    I haven't used this guy on the water yet so i am not sure but i'll try and take some photos of it swimming.
    Yak will not tangle at all. This is natural yak. It won't hold water like other natural materials but doesn't need to be combed like synthetics. I'm pretty sold on it but it is hard to fine now since hareline discontinued there. Luckily i bought 2kg of yak hair which i dye myself. 
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 373 Deckhand
    Bob, an option instead of lead eyes is .025 lead wire on the shank. I prefer my bait fish patterns not to be nose heavy but swim like a balanced leech. I use all bunny now for baitfish patterns and last week got reds , tarpon , and snook on it. Same with palolo worms. (BTW, I tied some worms for guide friend and he's been getting good results oceanside in keys)  When I want fly to dive , I'll use lead eyes like I do for clousers.
    For many years I've used .040 square lead wire (almost out all these years later) when I'm wanting to do a keel effect on streamers.  I cut 1/2" sections for a 1/0 hook, then tie them in along the shank before wrapping a body in place so you can hardly tell the pattern is leaded.  That lead along the keel also keeps the fly perfectly level as it sinks into place.

Don't ask me where I'd find another spool of that square lead since I've never seen it offered in any catalog... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 373 Deckhand
    I've never seen square in my catalogs but round does the job for me. I palmer it around shank. Since all my baitfish patterns are palmered rabbit zonker strips, usually cross cut, you cant see wire at all and flies swim level with great tail action from zonker strip tied behind body. Actually tail tied in first.