Home Off Topic

What's Cooking This Weekend?

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 11,786 AG
    Tarpon65 said:
    So while I was cooking the steak and broccoli, this guy showed up?  The screening makes the photos hard to see, but does anyone know what his is?  It was probably around 8"-9" long.

It’s a gecko can’t tell what type it is from the picture but they’re pretty cool creatures.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,961 Admiral
    Thanks Conchydong.
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 10,449 AG
    Spotted Gecko...
    See the Spots.
    Next Case please
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • fishinbugfishinbug Posts: 559 Officer
    Insurance salesman.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 19,810 Moderator

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• wynnvwynnv Posts: 732 Officer
    Thats a lot of butt!!!!!....do you suppose Big Candy has heard that a time or two?
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,361 AG
    Big cooking weekend coming up.  
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
    wynnv said:
    Thats a lot of butt!!!!!....do you suppose Big Candy has heard that a time or two?
    Pulled it and vacuum sealed it tonight. Will take to the family reunion in June.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Picanha......had to look that up. 

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,361 AG
    Fancy word for tri tip sirloin.   But with a chimichurri it's awesome.  I'm planning to make one this weekend.  Serve it with a crusty baguette.  
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,659 Captain
    Big Mak said:
    Picanha -rare. Topped with home make chimichurri or a fresh garlic, rosemary, thyme butter... your choice.
    My buddy recently found a source for Picanha here in town.
    He swears by them. I think he does his whole on his weber.
    Looks like I will be giving it a try sooner than later now. Looks Great
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • OGFOGF Posts: 2,084 Captain
    Picanha is fantastic.

That is a common meat served at Brazilian meat houses (Churrascaria).

• Big MakBig Mak Posts: 4,923 Captain
    I want to try cooking a whole picanha but I gotta tell you guys, it's so darn good as a 1.5-2" thick steak with my aforementioned butter or chimichurri that I can't pull myself away from cutting the whole hunk into steaks. 

We've been getting them from Wild Fork Foods, online for the tugboat for about two years or so. The wagyu is overpriced but delicious. The prime is way more affordable. A little less fatty and less tender, but just as delicious. I've also found them locally in the ethnic grocery stores.

Sprinkle a little pepper and a little more kosher salt than you think you need on them, and throw 'em on a good hot grill to your desired finish. You will not be disappointed. I guarantee.
  • wynnvwynnv Posts: 732 Officer
    Last nights clam sauce with angel hair...lobster bisque and Tio Pepes copy cat salad.

• Jstubby2Jstubby2 Lat -90 Long +90 👍Posts: 833 Officer
    Trying a bone in pork butt on the grill for the first time, been looking at old post on here & have a pretty good idea what I wanta do. 
    Jstubby2 said:
    Trying a bone in pork butt on the grill for the first time, been looking at old post on here & have a pretty good idea what I wanta do. 
    Good luck.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• dave44dave44 Posts: 16,507 AG
    Jstubby2 said:
    I am cooking a bone in Butt as well. I have it all rubbed and I was going to start it last night, but a noreaster blew in yesterday afternoon so it’s back in the fridge.
      It really is a mess out here right now.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 15,998 AG
    We had butt roast a few days ago, but we slow cookered it.  The leftovers are phenomenal.  Heat up the meat, a little everglades all purpose seasoning, some sugar free bbq sauce all on a bun.

Today I'll be doing the reverse sear on a tomahawk.
    Just dropping grenades in OT
    WD had them on sale 99 cents/lb, I figure even if I screw it up I'm only on the whole for 6 bucks, there is bound to be some good meat in there😎 suggested cook time at 250?
    edited May 2021 #52
    Jstubby2 said:
    WD had them on sale 99 cents/lb, I figure even if I screw it up I'm only on the whole for 6 bucks, there is bound to be some good meat in there😎 suggested cook time at 250?
    What does it weigh?

6 lbs I calculate. :)

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Do you guys salt it or just season & go?
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,991 AG
    edited May 2021 #54
    Smoked pulled pork with some beef ribs today
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,991 AG
    edited May 2021 #55
    Jstubby2 said:

250-275. If you wrap during the cook boost temps towards 300 if pressed for time. Won't hurt the butt in the lease. Time depends on weight and whether you wrap during the cook or not.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    Making my special boiled peanuts as well, the wife is making her mom's hot dog sauce for tommorow. Will report back later.
    We need some rain bad here but don't want to ruin what looks like a good pool day. Grilling & chilling👍
  • dave44dave44 Posts: 16,507 AG
    edited May 2021 #58
    Jstubby2 said:
    I like mine spicy Cajun, smoked with mesquite. Salt,  pepper, garlic, just about any kind of creole seasoning and some brown sugar rubbed all over it.( A bit of mustard rubbed on it first so everything sticks good)
       I cook it till it’s 195 internal and the bone pulls out. 
       Everyone fights over the bark.
         The last few hours of the cook I capture all of the juice in a pan and the au ju is awesome.
       The bone pulls out and I make slices about a half inch thick out of as much as I can.
    You're probably looking at 5 or 6 hours at Flash's temps. 190-210F internal temp or until the blade bone pulls back about a 1/2 inch so. Let it rest for an hour or so minimum before pulling or slicing. 

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

dave44 said:
    Jstubby2 said:
    I like mine spicy Cajun, smoked with mesquite. Salt,  pepper, garlic, just about any kind of creole seasoning and some brown sugar rubbed all over it.( A bit of mustard rubbed on it first so everything sticks good)
       I cook it till it’s 195 internal and the bone pulls out. 
       Everyone fights over the bark.
         The last few hours of the cook I capture all of the juice in a pan and the au ju is awesome.
       The bone pulls out and I make slices about a half inch thick out of as much as I can.
    I'll rub with Butt rub and add additional garlic powder and cracked black pepper. Sometimes I'll use mustard, sometimes not. The juice I'll save and refrigerate. When cold and congealed,  I'll scape the fat off. When I vacuum seal for future use, I'll put about a tablespoon of the jellied juice into the package with the pork. 

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Fat cap off or on?