Home Northwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Dads looking bad

Just spoke to Dad and the nurse at the rehab facility. I got a cold feeling all over and a sick stomach after the talk. Dad is getting weaker instead of stronger. He has lost 25 pounds in the last two months and he can no longer swallow solid food. He was in and out of the hospital three times in the last two months. Two weeks ago he had congestive heart failure. He was sent to rehab after a week in the hospital. He just told me that he can’t stand to use the bathroom anymore because he is too weak.  I will see about getting him home with a nurse tomorrow. He isn’t eating enough there and we give him better food at home while we are watching him swallow so he doesn’t choke. They are only feeding him puréed food. They don’t have the time to watch him. 

Well we are praying for the best. He always wants me to thank the folks he met at the coast. It was one of the best times in his life. He especially wanted me to thank Billy. He can’t get over how kind and helpful he was to dad on a charter we went on. He talks about it every time we speak about the coast. Well a big thank you to everyone of you great people from dad.  He enjoyed meeting you, your company and your friendship. 

Now I just have to get him well enough to get back down one more time. Bless you all. Thank you 

Replies

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 17,673 Moderator
    Prayers for him Ken, you and the family.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• LiveLineLiveLine Wakulla County, FloridaPosts: 2,076 Captain
    Thoughts and prayers Ken
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,613 Admiral
    Prayers
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 3,351 Captain
    I’m praying for your dad. 
  • brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 3,875 Captain
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,309 AG
    Sorry to hear it praying for him.   
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • billybob11billybob11 Posts: 986 Officer
    Sad news.  I will keep your family in my prayers 
  • loydDloydD GeorgiaPosts: 143 Deckhand
    Prayers
    Lovely Loyd
  • MulletMullet Posts: 2,413 Moderator
    edited May 2021 #10
    I'm honored that he remembered me and happy I was there for him that he. He's a great man. Hoping for the best Ken.  Tell him to get healthy and I'll be his personal deck hand.
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 5,033 Admiral
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,910 AG

just seeing this Ken

Just know that prayers will be said daily for your dad and you and the family. Hang in there brother and stay string. Remember God won't put nothing on us that we can't handle but we heed His loving hand. Please keep us posted.

Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • illinoisfishermanillinoisfisherman Posts: 5,392 Admiral
    Thanks to everyone. He is stable today. Lost a lot more use of his semi-paralyzed right arm yesterday. That got us thinking stroke. May have been something else. Arthritis is hurting him bad besides everything else. They checked him out real well. No stroke but I have to get him home soon so we can work on his strength. He made me cry today. He said he doesn’t want to be a burden on anyone. How can I get him to understand that he is not a burden, he is my father. Thank you for your concern and prayers once again. 

Billy his mind is sharp. He remembers you and your Mrs. I’ll tell him what you said. It will make him really happy. Thank you 
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 3,158 Captain
    Praying for his strength and yours too, Ken.
    Proverbs 13:3
    Ken, I hope the last few days have seen continued improvement. 

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Dad has been stable. I have to get him home to build up his strength. He has a choking problem and they  won’t watch him eat in the rehab so they only give him puréed food. He needs more beneficial food than that. 

A bad turn of events has occurred though. I wound up on the hospital. Severe urinary tract infection, kidney stones in both kidneys, low potassium, PSA of 30 and a bunch of other things. Doctors say my tests are seriously askew. Well when it rains it pours !!!!
    Dang!  You need to take care of yourself. 

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• KlingerKlinger Posts: 2,124 Captain

A bad turn of events has occurred though. I wound up on the hospital. Severe urinary tract infection, kidney stones in both kidneys, low potassium, PSA of 30 and a bunch of other things. Doctors say my tests are seriously askew. Well when it rains it pours !!!!
    FWTW, my brother had kidney stones and a UTI ad a high PSA.  The urologist said elevated PSA was very common with that infection.  When the infection was cleared up, the PSA returned to normal

In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
    Sometimes things pile on us all at one time. Hang in there and get well so you can help with your dad. Prayers for you both.
  • billybob11billybob11 Posts: 986 Officer
    Continued prayers 
  • FamilyfisherFamilyfisher Posts: 3,158 Captain
    Praying for y'all,  Ken.
    Proverbs 13:3
  • SloughSlough S.w. Ga./ St. JamesPosts: 5,613 Admiral
    Prayers
    I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you
  • LiveLineLiveLine Wakulla County, FloridaPosts: 2,076 Captain
    I cringe whenever I hear "kidney stones".  I suffer from them occasionally, and suffer is putting it nicely.....
    Kidney stones: “Lady said a kidney stone can’t hurt like having a baby. Man said if having a baby hurt like a kidney stone, you’d only have one baby.”
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 11,104 AG
    Wishing you and your dad the best outcome. Prayers for both of you.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,517 AG
    Prayers for you, your Dad, and your family sir.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 5,033 Admiral
    LiveLine said:
    I cringe whenever I hear "kidney stones".  I suffer from them occasionally, and suffer is putting it nicely.....
    Yup, I’ve had them 4-5 times. It is unfreaking believable how bad they hurt.

OP still praying for your dad, you, and whole family
  • skywayskyway St. Pete FLPosts: 520 Officer
    Prayers up Ken and for your dad.
  • TheMelManTheMelMan SoWeGAPosts: 896 Officer
    What a great section NW is to have so many praying for a member and their family.  Proud of you all.  
    Ken, Recheck your PSA in a month to make sure it goes back to normal...........
    GOOGLE:  Helping Totalitarian Governments Control their populations with Surveillance,  Suppression of information, speech and ideas, now bringing Totalitarian ideas to the US.   Thanks but no thanks!
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 11,104 AG
    TheMelMan said:
    What a great section NW is to have so many praying for a member and their family.  Proud of you all.  
    Ken, Recheck your PSA in a month to make sure it goes back to normal...........
    If I had my way I’ld be moving up there and living amongst you all now. My wife wants to stay in South Florida for now because her family is here so I will appease her for a while but God willing if I’m still live in 10 years I wanna sell my house  and buy a shack in the woods somewhere in your area. That is if you’ll let a conch in the country. 😉

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

Dad was rushed back to the hospital from the rehab center this afternoon. He didn’t sound right on the phone so my wife went there to check on him in person after calling to have them pay close attention to him several times. As she pulled up they were loading him into the ambulance. He is having spasms that are wrenching his entire body. It started with a tightness in his chest. So far not stroke or heart. They continue to test and my family continues to pray. We want to get him home so we can pay “family attention “ to him. It will be better. 

I got so many doctors to “follow up” with its making my head spin. Infectious disease doc, kidney doc, prostrate doc, heart doc and two more besides my family doc that I don’t even know what they do. Crazy. Wish they were all in the same building. 

They all are telling me I pushed it to the limit this time and I’m lucky to be here right now. My family doc is a friend and he is so upset that he was actually swearing at me. I guess it’s time to start watching it better. 

But. The old Eagles song “Take it to the limit” always was one of my favorites. ☹️

Thank you all for kind your thoughts and prayers. God bless you all.