Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

Duck tips for next season

flhunter20flhunter20 NassauPosts: 7 Deckhand
New to duck hunting, going to hunt some backwater creeks in NE Florida. What species and distribution of species should I put in a decoy spread? How heavy of weight are typically effective with the tides being a factor? Thanks for any help and advice. 

Replies

• Jlbuc10Jlbuc10 Posts: 44 Deckhand
    Are you talking brackish creeks in the St. John’s river marsh area? Teal, Red Heads, Blue Bills....
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,981 Captain
    edited May 2021 #3
    If you need some starter decoys you’re welcome to these for free. Most of these were given to me a long time ago and I needed to thin out my decoy shed. Some have pellet holes, but can be fixed.  I’m south of you near Hawthorne. 

One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • flhunter20flhunter20 NassauPosts: 7 Deckhand
    Yes I am, I’ve heard mallards attract all ducks too, should I throw a few of them in there? What size weights would you recommend to keep them more or less in place? I know they’ll move some with the current
    @Jonsredfishin that would be amazing! Thanks for the kindness and I’ll DM you to see when is best for you. 
    @Jonsredfishin that would be amazing! Thanks for the kindness and I’ll DM you to see when is best for you. 
    Ten4. You have mail. 
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 4,616 Captain
    Nice Jonsy! My advice flhunter is catch him quick and don’t wait till the night before “first flight” or he’ll be out of contact in the marsh ;) 
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 656 Officer
    Figure out where you are gonna hunt - 4 oz usually holds bottom.  Tangle free line is great.

Don't fret if you miss - have fun.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,964 AG
    Do you like duck meat?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 11,276 AG
    NO ... I'd rather eat a Gopher Turtle..
    Oh , You didn't ask me..sorry
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,590 Captain
    edited May 2021 #11
    Duck meat is terrible. Filleted off the bone, seasoned, wrapped in bacon, grilled rare....tastes like Filet Mignon. I hate Filet Mignon.  B)
    ANUMBER1 said:
    Do you like duck meat?
    Do you like fish stix? 😆 
    Thanks for all the replies and laughs, I’ve gotten to go twice and just like how the calling them in and seeing them work is similar to turkey hunting. I do like the meat, haven’t braved trying a merganser yet but have eaten blue bills, mallards, a widgeon, green winged teal and loved them all. Obviously in this area gonna have to try to make merganser taste good! Preciate all the good advice
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,590 Captain
    edited May 2021 #14
    Seriously tho, you can get away with duck hunting in Florida having a dozen Hen Mallard decoys (they look like anything) a couple dozen Scaup decoys (for salt/Big water/Ringnecks) and 6 Wood ducks (for the back water). Everything else is just "bells and whistles".

edited May 2021 #15
    Coots, coots, and more coots. 

The ducks know there’s no ducks anymore in FL. 😆