Skip to main content
Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

Wind forecasts

JPinPVBJPinPVB Ponte Vedra BeachPosts: 54 Deckhand
Anyone have a reliable wind forecast source?  Nothing like expecting 5-10 and it’s blowing 20+

Replies

• DrLouDrLou JacksonvillePosts: 45 Deckhand
    I use "Windfinder". It gives wind speed and direction for inside 20 miles (Fernandina Buoy) and outside 20 miles (St Augustine buoy) for  up to 10 days. Of course those long term predictions should be taken with a grain of salt. The predictions are revised several times per day and they say when the next prediction will be made. They also predict the wave frequency (period). a good rule of thumb is to divide the frequency by the wave height. If it is greater than 3 then it will be a comfortable ride. For example: if the wave height is 3.3 feet but the period is 12 seconds then the quotient is 3.6 and suggests that there are just swells. As your fishing day gets closer (3-5 days) then check with the 
     national weather service (weather.gov) and the actual weather buoys. I look at the Fernandina buoy, the Grays reef buoy and the near shore and East Canaveral buoys. They will actually tell you how sharp the waves are which determines how much pounding you'll encounter. Despite all these precautions I have had to cancel a day at the last moment but I've turned around only twice in 25 years. Many times it is far rougher going out at 15mph than coming baca 25-30mph. One last thing...north wind is always bad because it occurs over such a long reach. In my boat (25 Wellcraft) the north wind makes it very difficult to steer as it pushes the bow one way or another. 
    Always choose to be safe and comfortable. The fish don't care. 
  • tagtag Posts: 9,424 Admiral
    I second Windfinder. It’s not perfect but much better than local news
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 3,995 Captain
    Windfinder Superforecasts.  They are sometimes off, but usually better most other forecasts.
  • JPinPVBJPinPVB Ponte Vedra BeachPosts: 54 Deckhand
    Thx y’all.  Appreciate it
  • ric1ric1 Posts: 225 Deckhand
    I prefer windy. As both a captain and a pilot, have found it most accurate  and reliable. 
    Instead of giving your children everything you didn't have, teach them everything you didn't know. I promise their future will turn out better! :wink
  • DrLouDrLou JacksonvillePosts: 45 Deckhand
    I like Windy when I can get it to cooperate. I find it difficult to navigate. I want it to list the wind and waves at the bottom but sometimes I can’t get to that view. What am I doing wrong? Are you using the professional version for $69 per year? 
  • kayjay90kayjay90 FlaglerPosts: 67 Deckhand
    I like windy.
    dr.Lou I use basic windy app on iPhone 
    -Tap you location you want
    -tap yellow arrow and it will give you a detailed forecast for wind
    -for waves and wind tap the red bar at bottom, around where it says basic. And it should pull up options, click waves for detailed wave and wind.

or on side bar select waves and click the yellow arrow on your location.
  • ric1ric1 Posts: 225 Deckhand
    You can customize what you want to see. Windy has some great help info for each of the items viewable. Once you get the hang of dropping the point you want to see, the rest is easier. Let me know if I can help...
    Instead of giving your children everything you didn't have, teach them everything you didn't know. I promise their future will turn out better! :wink