Skip to main content
Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Catch and release fishing in Naples area?

Hey guys and gals, I’m a Michigan native that just moved to Ocala. I am traveling to the Naples area to fish with a couple of friends that are flying down from Michigan next week/weekend and we have rented an Airbnb. What kind of fishing opportunities do we have from shore in Naples? We are staying on a canal, but are willing to travel a little bit to do some catch and release fishing! Thanks in advance for the advice!

Replies

• bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 1,098 Officer
    Bit late of a response, but beach snook fishing is very good right now. Get out there on a morning with not much wind right around sunrise with a good pair of sunglasses and just walk the beach. They'll be cruising very close to shore, often within 10 ft or so. Small bucktail jigs, plastic jerkbaits, and spoons all work. Stay back from the water so your shadow won't spook them and just look for the fish, casting almost parallel to the shore (this is easier and better IMO during an incoming tide). If the morning is clear you should be able to spot them pretty easily, but focusing on any stretch of beach that has some structure (like concrete blocks, a downed tree, etc) will likely have more fish around it. Super simple fishing and a fun way to start the day, by 10 am or so they won't be feeding there as heavily.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • DodgerDodger Ft MyersPosts: 296 Deckhand
    I just saw two of the biggest snook of my life cruising in 3 ft. of water on Sat. closer to Ft. Myers Beach.  The key was schools of 6-8 inch mullet were all over the place.  They were right behind the schools.  Of course I was in a pontoon boat with friends and none of my gear.  Story of my life! 
    NSmith Try using a spoon or a minnow imitation parallel to shore.  A tail hooked live shrimp or pinfish might work too!