Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Gulfstream Bird Activity Question

Anyone out mahi fishing noticed any bird activity out there besides the Frigates?  Not interested in any fish underneath them, just the birds and what depths they've been working.  Heading out in search of birds this weekend hopefully.  Leaving the fishing rods at home.  

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 9,517 Admiral
    No rods or hand lines? That’ll be the time a 40 pound bull and a 25 pound cow swim right up to the boat.  ;)

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• xeniaxenia Posts: 971 Officer
    Or the time when a 6' tuna makes two jumps off your bow like it did in 2017.  That's OK, if I get a South Polar Skua it will be better than any fish I could catch off here.  Been waiting for that one for a very long time.
  • 101grunts101grunts Posts: 125 Deckhand
    What's up with that Xenia, you got tired  of catching fish and became a bird watcher now, if so i think there are better places to watch birds than the open ocean, lol
    I live in South Florida also. I might just become a bird watcher too as the fishing sucks. 

― Ernest Hemingway

• bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,717 Captain
    Nice pics Xenia..👍
  • evernic1evernic1 NMBPosts: 703 Officer
    Well Xenia , I’m heading out tomorrow from haulover to search for phins  , I’ll keep an eye out for birds and report back 👍
    New to me 9-17-2020 2008 Donzi 38 ZSF 3 X 300 Verados
    Thanks.  101 grunts: LOL!  It's actually called "Birding" not Birdwatching, which involves trying to find and ID the unexpected stuff and keeping lists that you are constantly trying to surpass.  Pretty challenging actually.  The open ocean is generally not full of a lot of birds but you do see species that are not seen from shore.  I was really lucky to find and ID the first and only Fea's Petrel for Florida.  This species is not at all common with only about 3,000 individuals that breed on two islands in the eastern Atlantic.  I find it relaxing to get out on the water and just look at and photograph things instead of trying to catch something.  Nice change of pace.  I do need to get back to Colombia to really augment my list.  They only have about 1,500 species of birds in that country! conchydong: I can put you on the list for my next trip!  Bring your binocs.

Fea's Petrel

• gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 1,790 Captain
    People don't realize.  I know I didn't until I joined a Birder group for an outing near my previous home a few years back.  Besides all the books, binocs, etc., some of those guys could identify every single call they heard.  They're really into it.

An even greater education was the 1st time I went to see Sandhill Cranes at Bosque del Apache, the week after the big annual get together.  (November ??)  There were still many of the high priced Birders there and I couldn't believe some of them.  Books, documentation, massive camera systems, a whole raft of stuff I'd never seen or thought of.  Some of them travel the world, solely for Birding.

Here's the link to my story on that:  (I think)  https://forums.floridasportsman.com/discussion/283547/2009-bosque-del-apache-nm#latest
    Nice.  Thanks for sharing.  Haven't been to NM, but did visit AZ in 2003 and saw some amazing stuff.  Hard to believe all the birds life that's there in mid summer.  112 degrees when I arrived in Tucson, 59 degrees when I went to the mountains to the south.
  • catchemupcatchemup Posts: 427 Deckhand
    xenia said:
    Anyone out mahi fishing noticed any bird activity out there besides the Frigates?  Not interested in any fish underneath them, just the birds and what depths they've been working.  Heading out in search of birds this weekend hopefully.  Leaving the fishing rods at home.  

Do you suppose duck hunters sometimes take a day off and leave their long guns at home and just go out on the lake to take photos of the fish? Just wondering...
  • evernic1evernic1 NMBPosts: 703 Officer
    went out to 900' no phins and 2 seagulls ...that is all.
    New to me 9-17-2020 2008 Donzi 38 ZSF 3 X 300 Verados
    That's not encouraging.  Forecast now calls for NE 15-20 on Saturday so I won't be fishing or chasing birds!  Sometimes it's a desert out there, but occasionally...

edited May 12 #14
    My results were the same as evernics. Fishing sucked again we got about a dozen rosies then went and picked up a small Snowy. Then went in even more and got a couple small lanes and a bank Seabass. Birds were pretty much nonexistent except for a frigate in about 50 feet of water. Compared to years ago too much effort for too little fish.

― Ernest Hemingway

My two fishing buddies took my boat out today since I'm not well enough from my surgery to risk being out there.  They tried for yelloweye but had no bites.  They then went to a hump in 905' and found some really big Rosies, but to my surprise nothing else.  I would have bet one of my arms that there would be something else on a structure like that.  Haven't spoken to them but this is the pic they sent me.  Sounds like it's pretty slow out there.

They also had a Brown Hake.
    Even though they’re a little mushy I’d rather eat the Hake than the Rosies. If you do a wet beer batter and fry them like English fish and chips the flavor is awesome.

― Ernest Hemingway

• LurchyLurchy Posts: 436 Deckhand
    those tropic birds are cool
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,316 Captain
    The best captain I ever worked for - all those years ago (1973) used to call all the smaller birds we would see “liar birds” since they never told the truth (meaning they didn’t show fish. A Man of War or frigate bird always showed you fish if it was over blue water.... 

At least that’s how I was taught.  We see many frigates along the Gulf coast of the Everglades each day now - but they never show us fish inshore like they do out in bluewater.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • catchemupcatchemup Posts: 427 Deckhand
    "A Man of War or frigate bird always showed you fish if it was over blue water.... " Captain Bob Lemay

I have a a slightly different take on man-of-war birds, aka frigate birds. If they flying in a straight line they are looking for a predator fish or pod of bait. BUT if they are flying in circles they are staying over fish. BTW they are the only marine bird that cannot get their wings wet. The water would not be repelled and actually absorbed unlike with other marine birds whose wings actually repel water...hence frigates  would absorb the water making them too heavy to fly.
  • HAIR-LARIOUSHAIR-LARIOUS Posts: 201 Deckhand
    Well ! I have the BEST RADAR !  GYPSY! I put her up front on top of the gear.  My mini black lab 28lber. Has saved the days offshore a couple dozen times with eagle eyes for BIRDS . She’s awesome fishing dog . Goes crazy barks anything flying.  
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 1,790 Captain
    Haha.....looka that happy face in 2nd shot.  Gotta love them Labs.  My favorite dogs.